Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
This Math Trade is intended for anyone attending GameStorm 13, March 24-27, 2011. You or your proxy need to be at GameStorm 13 in order to partcipate in this trade. If you are new to math trades, see the next post (below) for information on how to participate.

Links:

Trade GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/64811
Request GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/64809

Timeline: All times are Pacific

List opened for submissions: Tuesday, March 1st, Noon
Deadline to add games: Thursday, March 10th, 9 PM
Want lists due: Sunday, March 13th, 2 PM
Results posted: Sunday March 13th, 3 PM (or sooner!)

Updates:

Results are now posted.

Software used:
Wantlists will be submitted via the Online Wantlist Generator (OLWLG).
The trade will be run on TradeMaximizer 1.4 with duplicate protection.
SEED=13201113, ITERATIONS=75, METRIC=USERS-TRADING

Below you will find:

* information for new traders
* a word about proxies
* a link to the want lists (once they are complete)
* a link to the official results (once they are complete)
* the rules and restrictions for the trade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Information for new traders:

If you are new to math trades, check out the following links for a primer on how they work. Feel free to ask specific questions below after you have a sense of what they are about:

These two cover the same material, but in different learning styles:
The Math Trade wiki page
Math Trades for Dummies

You will also need to learn about the online wantlist generator (OLWLG):
The OLWLG wiki page
Steve's geeklist on How to use the OLWLG
Chris' geeklist on How to use Duplicate Protection with the OLWLG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
A word about proxies:

You do not need to be going to the convention to participate, although that is strongly encouraged. You can also participate if you can find someone in your area who is willing to be your proxy at the convention (i.e. someone who is willing to take your traded games to the convention and pick up your "winnings" for you).

Usually finding a proxy isn't that hard - we've had several no-ship events that have drawn participants from Seattle to Ashland, and those didn't even have the convention as a draw. Feel free to use the forum below to request proxies from your area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Want Lists

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Official Results

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Rules and Restrictions:

* You must accurately describe your game's condition, language, edition, etc.

* You should choose a photo that best represents the game you are trading (language, edition, and the like). If there are none suitable in the database, pick the one that's closest and make a note in your item listing.

* Duplicate games are allowed, even from the same user. If you own multiple copies of the same game and would like to trade them all, add the following to your item description:

%Options%
Copies: 2
%End%

Where "2" is the exact number of items you have. Then you and everyone else can treat it as a single item through the OLWLG.

* You may only post three non-game listings. These items should be posted with the gameid for Outside the Scope of BGG or Miscellaneous Game Accessory. Items that count toward the three item limit include GeekGold or other BGG goodies (microbadge coupons, etc.), mystery boxes (even those that include only games), as well as DVDs, computer/video games, etc. Please use the altname tags for these items so that they show up nicely in the OLWLG:

+altname+ TITLE OF YOUR ITEM HERE -altname-

This tag can be anywhere in your item description. Most people place it at the bottom.

* Gift certificates are not allowed in this trade. Only Boards & Bits Gift Certificates are allowed in this trade. Tom will be able to deliver orders to GameStorm participants at the convention, as long as the orders are placed by Wednesday, March 23rd, so I've decided to make an exception and allow B&B gift certificates.

* Game sweeteners must be listed using either the GAMEID formatting (for example: gameid=1 inside square brackets [ ] yields Die Macher) or you may alternately use a link to the game's page (like http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1). Including images is also helpful.

* Please do not delete items from the geeklist. If you no longer wish to trade an item, edit the item to say so and submit a blank want list.

Policies:

* This is a local trade, with no shipping. Again, anyone can participate as long as you're willing to swap games at GameStorm 13.

* I reserve the right to remove games from the list for whatever reason. If you are on the bad traders list, your games will most likely be removed.

* By posting an entry on this list, you agree to abide both by the general math trade guidelines and by those specific to this math trade.

* Only errors by the moderator will invalidate the results. You are responsible for checking your want lists through the OLWLG.

* GameStorm is not affiliated with this trade and is not responsible for the results of the trade, the condition of trade games or the exchange of games at the convention.

* Use this forum thread for questions and discussions of this math trade (however, for questions on individual items, please leave comments under the item itself, on the geeklist).

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Game Exchange

There will be a scheduled exchange time on Saturday morning from 9am-10:00am at the convention in Alder. In addition, the coordinators of GameStorm have generously offered to hold trade games in the game library on Saturday.

This means that traders can drop their games off Saturday (preferably in the morning) if they are not able to make the game exchange, and can then pick up their games any time on Saturday before 10 pm. All games must be picked up by that time.

Traders are, of course, welcome to make other arrangements for getting their games to the recipients at the convention (via proxy, etc.).

As stated above, GameStorm accepts no responsibility for the results of the trade, the condition of games, or the exchange of games at the convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Loop
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I can make it, any one willing ot taxi from Seattle area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, it doesn't feel like March 1 yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
Funny, it doesn't feel like March 1 yet...
whoops, blush the list was open....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I only put March 1 so I could pleasantly surprise everyone by opening it early. It's like a Christmas sale before Halloween!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
BTW - JeffyJeff has now added the trade to the OLWLG, so you can submit your games that way as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that this trade is also open to Video Games and RPG-related materials?

If so, can you open it up to Video Games/RPGs and whatever else you might have to do? (I've seen this question asked in other recent math trades, so there may be a checkbox that needs to be checked).

I tried adding a Video Game, but only Board Games were given as an option. (And I'm particularly interested in trade FOR video games (PS3), so having this option available would be greatly appreciated.)

Thanks!

(Edit: If Video Games are added, can you also make similar adjustments to the Request List? Thank you!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Long
United States
Brush Prairie
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David! your the greatest! happy trading everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
If so, can you open it up to Video Games/RPGs and whatever else you might have to do? (I've seen this question asked in other recent math trades, so there may be a checkbox that needs to be checked).
You're right, all it involves is checking a box when you edit the header of the geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Want lists due: Sunday, March 13th, 2 PM
I just wanted to point out that Daylight Saving Time also occurs on March 13th (2AM), so those waiting to the end to submit their want lists should keep the time change in mind.

And David, you might want to verify (from the Options):
Quote:
Deadline-Wants: Sunday, March 13th, 2011, 2:00 PM PST
Is the same as 2:00 PM PDT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
rgatti wrote:
... can you open it up to Video Games/RPGs ...
Done. But I don't quite understand. They make other games besides board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I've decided to tweak the rules and allow gift certificates from Boards & Bits. Since Tom is willing to deliver games directly to the con, its the same as ordering the game ahead of time and making the exchange there - only the recipient gets to decide exactly what they want. And there's still the face-to-face transaction that's the main reason we participate in local math trades. (Well, that and the free shipping blush).

Tom @ Boards & Bits wrote:
GameStorm Here We Come! (02/21/2011)
As in years past, I am attending GameStorm and am happy to bring game orders with me. Just select PICK-UP from WA (*not Ohio!*) and mention "Bring to GameStorm" in the comments. Hope to see you there!
Tom will be able to deliver orders to GameStorm participants at the convention, as long as the orders are placed by Wednesday, March 23rd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
themilkcrate wrote:
rgatti wrote:
You never know when you need alternatives to guard against unexpected changes in your gaming group... like marriage, moving, softball, or extended vacations in Germany...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. H.
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
themilkcrate wrote:
rgatti wrote:
You never know when you need alternatives to guard against unexpected changes in your gaming group... like marriage, moving, softball, or extended vacations in Germany...
marriage, moving, softball, extended vacations in Germany or babies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tweetlebeetle wrote:
rgatti wrote:
themilkcrate wrote:
rgatti wrote:
The list grows, and yet, Jon still isn't represented... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
tweetlebeetle wrote:
rgatti wrote:
themilkcrate wrote:
rgatti wrote:
The list grows, and yet, Jon still isn't represented... laugh
Left out once again cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Phinney
United States
Portland
United States
flag msg tools
Staring down from his cave, with a sour grinchy frown...
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding protocol for listing requests, should people request a game even if it's already listed as being on offer?

My first thought is "yes" because that may encourage other people to offer the game, and the first offerer may or may not be interested in a trade that actually works.... Plus, I for one would be actively discouraged to offer a game if I see it already offered, and there are no requests for it. (I have hundreds of games, and dozens I would consider trading.)

Cheers,

T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
tphinney wrote:
Regarding protocol for listing requests, should people request a game even if it's already listed as being on offer?
Since the whole point of the request list is to indicate sincere interest in an item, I say sure. It lets other people with the game know that it is potentially worth listing.

tphinney wrote:
I for one would be actively discouraged to offer a game if I see it already offered, and there are no requests for it.
Request lists don't generally have as much traffic or volume as the trade list - some traders don't even look at the request list or the trade list and process the whole trade through the OLWLG. I wouldn't use the request list as my only guide to adding games. The nice thing about a request list is that you know someone wants the game. As you said, with a large collection, it can be hard to know what to add - if someone puts up a request for Robot Master, then I might choose to add it, where it might otherwise not cross my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
themilkcrate wrote:
Request lists don't generally have as much traffic or volume as the trade list - some traders don't even look at the request list or the trade list and process the whole trade through the OLWLG. I wouldn't use the request list as my only guide to adding games. The nice thing about a request list is that you know someone wants the game.
I also think that Request Lists are more important for smaller trade since there are fewer people who might have more limited interests (versus a large trade where enough people that most interests are represented multiple times and a single user generally doesn't have a large impact on the overall trade.).

For instance, I have posted a large number of items, but a fairly small number of my requests have been offered (especially the PS3 games which I'm most interested in), so I currently anticipate a fairly small number of trades to be generated from my items (which currently represent a reasonable percentage of all items). Now, I obviously hope that will change (for all involved, since every additional trade I get likely creates many others in larger chains), but to assist with the mutually beneficial outcome, I have made requests to provide guidance. (Note: I also hope enough items are posted that my individual contribution is insignificant, regardless of my trade percentage.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |