$30.00
Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Blockers!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Recommended essential variant: face up Wild tile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer has devised a variant that I'd highly recommend. It's a minor change, but can have a significant and positive effect on gameplay, and it's worth becoming the standard form of the game that will hopefully make its way into the next version of rulebook. The variant rule is that you place your wild tile face up at the start of the game, and use it at any time instead of your regular turn. In other words, find your Wild tile at the beginning of the game and keep it face up in front of you (not on your rack, but near your rack and visible to all players). You may then use your Wild tile at any time in the game, but only once and as per the normal rules - you do not replenish your rack tiles when you do this (because you already have five tiles).



This variant was reported as originating from the designer Kory Heath by Richard Breese here, and has been confirmed by the publisher. I agree with Breese's assessment that this ensures that the most useful tile in the game is available to all players from the outset, rather than being drawn at a particularly lucky or unlucky moment. This helps eliminate an element of luck that is really unnecessary, and gives an extra amount of flexibility, by leaving it up to the players to decide the moment during the game that it is best used. I highly recommend using it in all games!
9 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And I already use it!

thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea. I will use it from now on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good rule, but without it I think the randomness of getting it early or late has only a small effect on the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
It's a good rule, but without it I think the randomness of getting it early or late has only a small effect on the game.


Having just lost a game because this was the last tile I drew (even 3rd last would have been enough to win), I'd disagree.

B>
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
The variant rule is that you place your wild tile face up at the start of the game, and use it at any time instead of your regular turn. In other words, find your Wild tile at the beginning of the game and keep it face up in front of you (not on your rack, but near your rack and visible to all players). You may then use your Wild tile at any time in the game, but only once and as per the normal rules - you do not replenish your rack tiles when you do this (because you already have five tiles)
My understanding is that it was face up, but not available for play right away from off the rack. You had to place a tile from your rack, then DRAW the face up wild tile into your rack before it was available for play. So people knew when you drew your wild, but not when you played it from your rack.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
My understanding is that it was face up, but not available for play right away from off the rack. You had to place a tile from your rack, then DRAW the face up wild tile into your rack before it was available for play. So people knew when you drew your wild, but not when you played it from your rack.

The way I described this variant in my original post was the way it was explained to me by the publisher. This first report of this variant by Richard Breese does appear to favour your interpretation - although it's possible that the variant was modified slightly since it was first created, or that the publisher favours a different approach than the designer.

Perhaps the designer Kory Heath will weigh in and help shed some light on this.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
Germany
Pliezhausen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, thanks Ender for this posting. I got the game for Christmas this year and already played it 8 times, but didn't know about that variant. I will try it for sure next time we play!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.