Subject: Box is too small for the contraband rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Cross
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Boston Red Sox fanMicrobadge: China fanMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
Maybe I'm missing something but the cargo tokens really don't fit back in the box after you punch them. I leave them in the bag and flatten it as much as possible and the lid is still an inch off the bottom. That seems very un-days-of-wonder-ish.

Anyone find the secret compartment I'm not seeing? I'd hate to toss the insert since all the other components fit perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
Microbadge: Restoration Games fanMicrobadge: Savage Worlds RPG fanMicrobadge: BloggerMicrobadge: Suburbia fan -  Collector's EditionMicrobadge: Wildlands fan
1) Pick up plastic insert.
2) Put tokens (in bag) beneath insert.
3) Replace insert.

Inelegant, I know - but the insert is so good otherwise I'm loath to get rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Planet EarthMicrobadge: Parent of big sister and little brotherMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: The MandalorianMicrobadge: Sentry Box fan
gamemark wrote:
3) Replace insert.

Inelegant, I know - but the insert is so good otherwise I'm loath to get rid of it.
+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Woźniak
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: TitansMicrobadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Valhalla fan
I did that and bag still doesn't fit. This is stupid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Parent of Two Boys and One GirlMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: Antoine Bauza fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
If you flatten the bag out as much as possible, the insert will fit back over it (although it will probably be slightly higher on one side) and the box lid will close all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I put as many cargo tiles as possible (maybe 40 or 50 of them) in the second cavity next to the cards one, plus I separate the wilds (to simplify setup) and put them along with the ships, the rest goes in the bag, and lays flat underneath the insert. Also make sure to put the smaller board pieces over the cards such that they fit exactly in the slight depression on that side on the insert. The box lid then goes all the way down.
From gallery of lhenrygr
From gallery of lhenrygr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoyN
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
I once met a native of this island and asked him, "Does 'Bal' mean yes?" He replied, "Bal."
Microbadge: Hiking fanMicrobadge: Ancient History fanMicrobadge: Beth Heile fanMicrobadge: Dim Sum loverMicrobadge: Tintin fan
You can make it all fit without resorting to cutting the insert or hiding stuff underneath it (although I admit that might fit the theme of illegal contraband better). The trick is to stack all the cargo vertically in the space where I found the ships when I first unwrapped the new game. I put most of the ships in the other space, and the remaining ships next to the coins. The ports fit well enough on the left, and the top of the bag can be inserted between the box and the insert and then draped down like a flap. See the picture:

Board Game: Cargo Noir
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Reed
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks! Was excited to play after popping all the cargo out, but I was beginning to think I was an idiot for not being able to figure out how to put the pieces back. This worked well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hines
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: FLGS RetailerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 7 Wonders fanMicrobadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Pathfinder RPG fan
I had the same problem and elected to take out the insert and use baggies to keep the cards, coins and ships organized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
jhines0042 wrote:
I had the same problem and elected to take out the insert and use baggies to keep the cards, coins and ships organized.
i originally took the insert out and put everything in baggies as well. however, i rather liked the insert and wanted to find a way to make it all work without having to constantly lift it out to get to things. after thinking on it for a bit, i realized that i could still use the insert if i trimmed off about a half an inch from the bottom. this also requires cutting out the bottom of the deepest well (the one next to the cards). After cutting it now holds most of the boats and they are too big to slip through the small space between the well and the box bottom.

after removing a half of an inch from the bottom of the insert, i can fit everything back into the box and keep all of the cargo in the black bag on top of the insert. the box now closes completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
I soon became irritated by the bag of contraband not fitting inside the box, and I decided that any packing up method which requires the skills and patience of a surgeon, was not for me.

Since the Cargo Noir box is a very common size, surely I surmised, one of my other games must have an insert which would happily change places with the Cargo Noir insert, the resulting insert swap being un-noticeable and ideal for both games.

Vasco da Gama does it for me, and makes the packing up of either game very easy. Is it absolutely perfect? - almost (the Vasco lid sits fractionally high). Am I still irritated? - absolutely not. Could there possibly be a better insert swap? - bound to be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Constantly thinking about game designMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Level 05 BGG poster
Seriously just drop the tiles under the insert and shake a little so they spread out. Everything fits

I realise this doesn’t come easily to the compulsive baggers (myself included) but honestly it works..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Peridot: August birthstoneMicrobadge: Green Christian - we're all the stewards of EarthMicrobadge: I love books!Microbadge: Easily MisunderstoodMicrobadge: Dog lover
I guess I may not be the most observant one around. I didn't realize the box top didn't rest properly until I read this post. Good suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Strogen
United States
Clayton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: "I can't be caged...That's why I got the Tiger tattoo."Microbadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Euroninja - Stealth to victoryMicrobadge: Nightmare Before Christmas fan
great ideas from everyone!!! So many choices now to get everything back in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim williamson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: ... versus ...Microbadge: Twilight Imperium (third edition): Shards of the Throne fan
I left the coins and cards in the places designed for them (obviously), the contraband tokens I split between the remaining two cavities in the insert. With the start token(not put together), in the lower cavity by the cards. The boats are in their plastic baggy under the insert. Seems to work for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Avengers fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
gamemark wrote:
3) Replace insert.

That is what I do also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Fugal
United States
Midvale
Utah
flag msg tools
After reading this thread I came up with my own solution. I cut out the bottom of the cavity by the coins and drop the bag into the new deep hole.
From gallery of slylynn
From gallery of slylynn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: My cat destroys games in progressMicrobadge: The Artemis Project fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: I love rainy daysMicrobadge: Less is more
slylynn wrote:
After reading this thread I came up with my own solution. I cut out the bottom of the cavity by the coins and drop the bag into the new deep hole.
From gallery of slylynn
From gallery of slylynn
Fabulous idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul & Marieke
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Always room for 1 more gameMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Golden Image Uploader
slylynn wrote:
From gallery of slylynn
From gallery of slylynn
Thanks for the idea. Still think it's weird that it doesn't fit in the box without modifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls