Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
118 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Crokinole» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Mayday Games Crokinole - It's Not Crokinole, It's Crock o' Crap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bad_deals [+] sinophobia [+] ripoff [+] mayday [+] OP_deleted [+] QA [+] [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
This makes me sad, but I'm glad you took the time to enlighten us.

It also makes me sad that I don't know how to pronounce "Crokinole."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll remember this when I get my board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
It also makes me sad that I don't know how to pronounce "Crokinole."

CROAK-n-ole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
Newtonville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered one from Mayday back in the Fall. The first one arrived with literally holes in it. Luckily they replaced it, but the replacement is literally a piece of crap-n-ole. Besides many of the same imperfections you list, the wood on the outer rim has not stood up to play time and begun to crack. The particle/fiber board that they are using in China to manufacture these is worthless and just horrid junk. I plan to never do any more business with Mayday. Their quality stinks and their product is sub-par. While their customer service has been responsive at times, I feel that no matter how you paint it, crap is still crap! I so wish I had bought a domestic Crokinole board. 'Nuff said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sorry to see this.

For Crokinole lovers, I bought through Mr Crokinole (http://www.crokinole.com/).

The construction was amazing, the finish was perfect and it has lasted through YEARS of use, including some small local tournaments. It was exactly as advertised when I bought it.

I urged friends to purchase through him, they did not, and their boards are inferior, with fast-disappearing finishes.

Anyway - speaking as a fan - I have no commercial involvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with the Hilinski brothers. Have Peggy custom paint it too, if you have the money. It's a good board and it looks great hanging on the wall. It's art plus gaming!

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
Newtonville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob in Richmond wrote:
Go with the Hilinski brothers. Have Peggy custom paint it too, if you have the money. It's a good board and it looks great hanging on the wall. It's art plus gaming!

Rob

That is what I want but they are not available all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal

Michigan
msg tools
mb
Wow. Thanks for the great review.

I love my Mr. Crokinole Eagle tournament board even more now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Rasecars, Lasers, Aeroplanes
badge
Here in Duckburg
mbmbmbmbmb
my friend's dad got this board and it does not have the defects that yours seems to display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
Wish I could relate!

Me too. Mine came with a bump on the surface and the product is not what they represented, not even close. I decided to hold onto it (I had preordered it), but after playing on it a few times I can see where the quality of the board and even the discs are affecting the game. I have tried to get a response from Seth from Mayday to see if he will honor his original post about giving a 1 year warrnty, but no answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
Newtonville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chessduffer wrote:
superflypete wrote:
Wish I could relate! :)

Me too. Mine came with a bump on the surface and the product is not what they represented, not even close. I decided to hold onto it (I had preordered it), but after playing on it a few times I can see where the quality of the board and even the discs are affecting the game. I have tried to get a response from Seth from Mayday to see if he will honor his original post about giving a 1 year warrnty, but no answer.

It will only take public posts like this that will make them answer. It took me posting here and offering gg for people to guess how fast he would respond. Let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Thank you. I hope you get every pound of flesh back. What a load of shit to have to go through. And thanks for warning others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. Very typical story of what happens when you don't put boots on the ground in China to check the quality of the product before it ships. The samples look great and then you find some manager has cut quality and pocketed the difference for himself. It's not really the factory's fault as this can be prevented by supervising the production process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a mayday board as well, your description of the shoddy craftsmanship sounds correct. My favorite part was the screws on the back of the board, which I believe they intended to allow one to hang the board on the wall,The problem was that the screws pretty much came right out of the "wood" as soon as I put the slightest amount of pressure on the 550 cord I was using to hang it, taking quite a bit of the "wood" with them as well.

I still play on my board and enjoy the game, but in hindsight I wish I had just got a better board.

But at least now I have a crokinole board I am not worried too much about damaging...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. It makes me that much more pleased that I bought a Hilinski board. I did order some of the discs from Mayday as they were the only ones that had white that I could find and were cheap. They are nice discs for the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
simpledamon wrote:
I have a mayday board as well, your description of the shoddy craftsmanship sounds correct. My favorite part was the screws on the back of the board, which I believe they intended to allow one to hang the board on the wall,The problem was that the screws pretty much came right out of the "wood" as soon as I put the slightest amount of pressure on the 550 cord I was using to hang it, taking quite a bit of the "wood" with them as well.

I still play on my board and enjoy the game, but in hindsight I wish I had just got a better board.

But at least now I have a crokinole board I am not worried too much about damaging...

Funny you should say that...I had posted a question on the caroom forums asking about whether to get an el cheapo board or a nice tourney board. One response said:

greatsage (partial quote) wrote:
I upgraded to an expensive tournament board about 2 years ago and it is great. The board is true and due to the board being very slick it is much harder to get shots right, but much more satisfying. The big problem I have with it is that it is very heavy and isn't as easy to transport, this has lead to a dramatic decrease in games played (check my logged plays to see how it has dropped since 2009). So although the board is superior in everyway it just doesn't get played as much.

so maybe its not the end of the world to have a beater board to drag around with you wherevers =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's the problem with these boards, it's hit or miss, you are gambling with your money and hoping not to get a crappy board.

glitch404 wrote:
my friend's dad got this board and it does not have the defects that yours seems to display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Usta Playalot
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I almost got one of these off of Tanga. I really want a custom painted one from Hilinski, but was trying to justify the increased price if it were merely cosmetic appearance. Apparently I made the right call, as there is more than just cosmetic issues. Thanks for the review and I'm sad you got burned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jefftang wrote:
I think that's the problem with these boards, it's hit or miss, you are gambling with your money and hoping not to get a crappy board.

I wish they made their boards super cheap (like $40 without any fake wood veneer, no hanging screws or any bells and whistles). You would know you get the bare basics, but it would be by far the damn cheapest option for Crokinole (at least new).

I think people would actually be happier because they would have realistic expectations, but Mayday decided to market their boards as something that could compete with the real craftsmen and clearly that is not the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
does anyone know what mayday is up to with "premium boards"...seems to me they should get their basic board QA consistent first....

http://maydaygames.com/unique-wooden-toy-and-game-items/prem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered getting one of these boards, but after reading so many negative reviews of them and also seeing the lovely boards in the gallery at Hilinski, I decided to get a premium board from Hilinski. I'm getting a one of a kind, custom board hand painted by Penny Hauffe that's going to hang on my wall when I'm not playing with it. I can't wait until it's finished.

I think it will be worth the extra money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best purchases I've made. The game plays great, and my house has my own customised piece of art that always draws comment.

I expect my board to be with me for the next 50 plus years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if they would consider an even trade for those who got original boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:
does anyone know what mayday is up to with "premium boards"...seems to me they should get their basic board QA consistent first....

They're better quality, with hardwood tops. That appears to be the difference.

I'm trying to figure out how upset I want to be by the fact that Mayday is offering now what I thought I was getting when I originally bought mine this time last year.

On the one hand, the board had some pretty glaring inconsistencies with what was advertised, as has been pretty well documented. But on the other hand, I'm not really willing to raise a huge fuss just to give Mayday's Chinese Factory Overlords the chance to mess things up again.

I think I'll just chalk it up to "if it sounds too good to be true..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:

I've pre-ordered one of these (after playing on a Mayday board a friend of mine got that was just fine). Sounds like it should be here within a month or so; I'll post a review (or at least some information about the quality) when I get it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.