Popular Tags: [View All]
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And is there much selection (or even buying & selling) of USED games at brick & mortars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
And is there much selection (or even buying & selling) of USED games at brick & mortars?

Your profile certainly leads me to believe that you know most of this already , so in case you're a transplant, and/or for everyone else's benefit...

From everything I hear the Tower Game Center in Lawrenceville is the best. Good selection and actual in-store play. But that really depends on what you consider to be Atlanta. As someone who lives inside the perimeter, I don't personally think that a game store that's a 40+ minute drive away from midtown can be considered to be in Atlanta. Which is probably why there are several inside-or-just-outside-of-the-perimeter gaming groups.

So here are my recommendations by area:
Outer Northeast - Tower Game Center in Lawrenceville (???)
Outer Northwest - Dr. No's in Marietta (GREAT selection)
"On" Perimeter - Titan Smyrna (smallish selection)
In-town - Oxford Comics (good selection)
Anywhere - Barnes & Noble (surprisingly good selection for what it is)

I can't speak to the situation at Tower, but as far I am aware, none of the other places buy or sell used games at all, or even host board game-specific free play sessions. They also all sell at full MSRP, which, imo, is seriously hurting them. Who wants to pay all that unnecessary extra cost?

So my blunt advice is that, if you're looking to buy new, use the internet. Tower aside (possibly), no local B&M is doing anything to earn the loyalty of board gamers. If you're looking to buy/sell used or trade, use BGG. If you're looking to game, find a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I usually shop by Net. Visiting Atlanta from small-town Kentucky and was hoping Big City could support such a shop. Probably slip 'em unless I happen to be near Tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tower Game Center in Lawrenceville is a very good shop. While it is north of town, when not rush-hour it doesn't take long to get there - about three turns off of I-85. Vantage is correct, they do not sell at discount (though they did have a hefty 40% off table last week to clear out stock). However, they do offer many other services that makes up for it. They have the facilities to play many games - not just the table for mobs of Magic players - but also booths for people to throw down 2-4 player games; they have painting nights where you can go in and use their supplies; they offer the chance to try games in-store or to take them home on a trial basis; the employees are generous with their opinions if you ask, including the, "Oh, you don't want to buy that. It looks great, but it sucks".) http://www.thetowergamecenter.com/

EDIT: The last time I was in Tower, they had discontinued the game library because too many people were not returning all the pieces to the games for the next person. A shame they had to do that because of the laziness or lack of concern by some people.

Dr. No's in Marietta is another good shop I discovered recently (and it is much closer to my home). Incidentally, it is right on your way up/down I-75 to/from Kentucky. It doesn't have the gaming facilities that the Tower does, but it does have 6-8 tables for playing. They are also free with their opinions when asked. They have a large supply of comics and books, but don't mistake this for your typical comics with a few games thrown in (Titan). They have one of the largest game supplies in Atlanta. The Tower and Dr. No's seem to carry different stock, whether intentionally or not, so there is much to find in one that is not in the other. http://www.drnos.com/

One that I recently discovered but have never been to is Gigabites in Marietta. I haven't been there, but the concept looks good. It seems odd that the name would imply computer games, but the business model appears to be boardgames. http://www.giga-bitescafe.com/index.html

Edit: I went by Gigabites today, and there were probably twenty people playing, mainly miniature games. An RPG was starting up in the back as we were leaving. The inventory is almost exclusively Warhammer and its spin-offs. We ate some pretty good sandwiches at the cafe. It was pretty cramped, but that was partially because of the number of people playing.

If you like miniatures, another I haven't been to, but I know a local game group is playing Wings of War and Check Your Six there today, is Lone Eagle Miniatures, also in Marietta. I haven't been there, and they don't have a website, so I can't say anything about their stock, but it sounds like they might be the place to stock up on, well, miniatures. (Duh.)

Edit: Lone Eagle Miniatures is a private residence.

Don't assume that something in "Marietta" is near the Marietta dot on the map. The area around Atlanta is really weird about an address being in a city that the location is nowhere near.

Not being one to throw my money away, I also buy many of my games online. However, I will also purchase a not-scientifically-calculated percentage of my games/supplies in the independent brick-and-mortar stores. Even though I have a job and family - which means I don't use 99% of their services - I want to support them so they will continue to be there. They will never be able to compete with Amazon or CoolStuff in cost, but I refuse (in any business) to go in, suck up their advice and the hands-on experience, then go undercut them on the 'net or in a chain store.

This comes with the caveat that it is a good store. Unfortunately, many of the game stores out there are run by people who think they can have a successful business based on them renting a space in a strip-mall, buying ten folding tables, and sitting around playing Magic with their friends. I can't tell you how many of these I have walked out of because they had 500 packs of Magic cards, ten boardgames, and no employee behind the counter because they are too busy playing to pay attention to customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Best Atlanta shops
I was visiting Atlanta outskirts yesterday, and I found a GREAT boardgame shop in Warner Robbins, 60+ miles from the airport.

I went in and looked around. The left hand of the shop is a wide variety of boardgames, and the right hand of the store was comics.

The owner is friendly and the woman at the cashier(gamer & momma to be), was polite and knowledgeable. They didn't mind me asking all sorts of lame game questions

The play space is amazing. The whole center of the store is filled with tables.

I'm pretty sure they have league play for the various collectible games.

Id rate the store a 4 plus out of 5. I couldnt find anything wrong with with the store at all.

If you are interested look up:
Heroes and Villains
117 Russell Pkwy Warner Robins, GA 31088
(478) 322-0004
heroesandvillainscomics.net

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls