Subject: Synergy Design Contest - How hard could *that* be? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
Find the link on the microbadge below.
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the rules and completed entries.
Synergy Design Contest Entry Thread
NOTE: You can post your WIP threads into this forum for now. (We will still look at them, and help with any design questions.) Please post completed entries only in the other forum. (They are already starting to come in!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Re: Synergy Design Contest - Or "Would this be a good idea for a design contest?"
Quote:
If requested, the Entry thread may be accompanied by a geeklist where each entrant has control over presenting a game "sample" to the target audience.

A little clarification wouldn't go amiss here.
Do contestants present game-in-progress photos? Component breakdowns? Example plays? Game reports?

On the whole, I think a co-op game contest is a good idea - something I've not explored, and would be interested in entering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Synergy Design Contest - Or "Would this be a good idea for a design contest?"
I'm in! Well... when this contest comes online that is Is a one person win more co-op eligible as well? Or just the two variants that you spoke of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer to limit it to one entry per person at first. If it looks like there won't be enough entries, open it up to 2 per person.

Would pure team games be allowed as well (2v2, NvN)?

To answer the other question posted above, I would propose that "one player wins more" only be allowed if that is an optional rule like in Castle Panic.

Would existing games be allowed to enter? Existing WIP's? Previous contest entries? Games which already have a BGG page prior to today, or prior to 4/18?

I'm slightly concerned that people might check the box without having actually played the game. Hopefully ballot-stuffing won't be a problem. (I'm not thinking the designers would vote repeatedly or condone such action, but perhaps fans would be overly zealous). Perhaps two radio buttons would help a bit: "I played and it rocks!" and "I haven't played but it looks like it rocks!". The latter would be informational only, not used in determining the winner, but a way for people to voice approval.

Also, I assume the contest runner (Iffix) would be allowed to enter this contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, team games will be allowed.
Any game that has not been entered into a previous contest and is still a WIP can be entered into this contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as polls go, voters can change their votes, but can only vote once using the BGG poll system.

Yes, the contest runner will be entering game(s).
This is why the contest runner doesn't control the poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
If requested, the Entry thread may be accompanied by a geeklist where each entrant has control over presenting a game "sample" to the target audience. {Thanks for the idea, Etherton!)

I like that idea. But please, don't start the geeklist until around May 11 -- there was a concern in prior contests about early entrants getting a big advantage over late entrants. If you start a geeklist on April 18 or earlier, that same concern may occur again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:

The objective of this contest will be Team play/Cooperative games...
Examples of Cooperative games...
Space Alert
Forbidden Island
Pandemic
(And granted, many others...)

These entries may also include All on One (Pandemic - On the Brink) or Secret Opponent (BattleStar Galactica) type games.

I'd strongly suggest that you specifically limit the definition of "Team Play". In my understanding, you're hoping to get more of the "All on One" and "Secret Opponent" / "Secret Teams" types of games.

And you're probably not really too interested in "2v2" "NvN" or "NvNv...vN" since that can easily just lead to "1v1".

Essentially, you're asking for games that don't fall into the strict definition for a "competitive" game, because there is a social / player interaction aspect that puts the players into a more "cooperative" footing.

XendoBreckett wrote:

The game may have as many or as few game components as needed, but should be within reason as people will actually need to print your game, for it to win.

I think you'll want to be more specific than that. I think that part of the reason that the last 2 contests (1PnP and QPnP) were successful is because the amount of physical material available for components were very limited. Saying "as many as needed" and "within reason" can lead to some pretty liberal interpretations as "I'm making a cooperative Dominion-like game, so I need to have about 300 cards."

XendoBreckett wrote:

After this, set up a thread with the words "SYNERGY CONTEST", the Game's name, play-time, and number of players; send me a GeekMail with a link to that thread. The game may have a WIP thread before entry.

If you plan to use a Geeklist, I'd suggest that the designers use the WIP thread strictly for the purposes of "working-in-progress on a game being designed". The moment they submit it as an entry, it should go on the Geeklist. All further comments would then be on the geeklist instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the Geeklist, Mark Four wrote:
Do contestants present game-in-progress photos? Component breakdowns? Example plays? Game reports?

Hi Mark, thanks for your question. What the Geeklist is is a brief discussion of your game, telling others why the game should be played.
If the reason is "The pirates found there way to Jolly Roger's Island in search of buried treasure, but THE MARTIANS ARRIVED FIRST..."
I will be playing that one just based on that sentence. (I don't expect anyone to really use that, but hey, it worked for Pirates VS Dinosaurs.)
So, what is it about your game that makes me or any other PnPer want to play it? If you have an answer, that goes on the geeklist. [Again, that will be coming soon.]

After considering Sturv's advice, yes, I agree that since the deadline is the 18th of May, the GEEKLIST will arrive no sooner than May 11th. This cuts down the number of players who will see your games early, and affords everyone an equal opportunity to draw attention.
(As a safety measure, please Geekmail me when your game is finished. This way, should you miss posting to the GeekList by the 18th, you are not disqualified from entry. I will even send you a Geekmail in return.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, regarding Sturv's above comments, the page requirements are purposely left vague. People should know what "within reason" means. And yes, it may mean a game with 300 cards, should you decide to design one - risking that the game will not be printed or played.
It is better to keep this open, as it prevents designers from trying to squeeze items onto a page that doesn't fit them. [Some of the pieces from the 1-Page were nightmares, lost soon after they were cut out.]
Again, we're working for player votes, here. People will need to play a game. That's part of the poll... "I played this game... It rocked!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
XendoBreckett wrote:
Hey all;
we've reached the apex of the Quick Print and Play design contest. (This contest should be complete by the 13th of next month.)
[Jack has given permission to post this competition as of the VOTING start date of his QPnP contest. I'm working closely with the contest guru, and will likely continue to rely on his advice throughout this contest. Jack's QPnP contest can be found here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6367170
Make sure to check it out, and vote for your favorites.]
Allowing time to tabulate votes, and get everything squared away, we'll start again on April 18th.
The next contest:

Isn't the next contest this? Little Box Contest - Closed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TEAM-PLAY: At least 2 players on any given team. May be competitive. But no 1 on 1 on 1 on 1 on 1 on ... (You get the idea.)
Examples of Competitive Team-Play: Bang!
(Many traditional card games are also played in teams. But to clarify, traditional cards may not be used in this contest.)
COOPERATIVE: All players work together. (See list above.)
All-VS-1: The "all" should be a multi-player team. The one should be powerful enough to make a formidable challenge. This would be a great opportunity to try some "variable player powers".
(Recommendation: This type of game might have an NPC variant as well, so that players can take on the opponent together.)
Secret Opponent: Until a certain point in the game, all players are on a team. One such player may later reveal that he is actually an enemy. However, the game should have enough of a challenge itself that the "traitor" goes unnoticed.

That said, I should clarify what may or may not be part of your print&play.
DICE: Generally, dice are accepted as a part of a print & play game. These may include the D6 (most common), but also the D4, D8, D10, D12, and D20.
STICKERS FOR CREATING DICE: Acceptable, but most players do not prefer it.
CARDS: Standard playing cards may be used. But, you can generate your own deck of 54, 72, 300? (Who in their right mind would make a PnP card game with 300 cards? Please, somebody say "ME!")
EURO-CUBES: Preferably not. (At least in my experience as a game designer, I can tell you this sort of requirement won't help you...)
However, do so at your own risk.
DOMINOES, CHECKER BOARDS: I've seen it done as a playing mechanic. Again, not everyone has dominoes in the home, so use them at your own risk.

Unacceptable: Anything that cannot be found easily in the usual PnPer's home. When in doubt, do without. If possible, anything that is not listed above should be created by the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Joe; actually, Kai's contest is currently running. They are very different contest types.
Conveniently, his contest will be at the deadline by the 30th of this month, with a month of voting. (So it will be officially over about 2 weeks into this contest. But that's a lot of time with nobody designing anything, and we can't have that, now, can we?)
Further, this contest was requested by a poll in the Contest Ideas thread started by Patrick Rael. (Thanks, Patrick.)

EDIT: I misunderstood that Kai's contest will reach deadline as of April 30th. My apologies Kai, and I wish you the greatest success in your contest endeavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Which month?
Quote:
2. Entries must be posted by April 30th, 2011 at 24 pm CET.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah... Got it. Thanks for the correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Work it out and I'll update the stickied thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
Which month?
Quote:
2. Entries must be posted by April 30th, 2011 at 24 pm CET.

That's a good point. Kai may need a portion of the month of May (depending on number of entries) to allow for playing and voting. It would be rather confusing if two contests were in the play-and-vote stage at the same time, and might even take away voters from participating in the play-and-vote of both contests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:

All-VS-1: The "all" should be a multi-player team. The one should be powerful enough to make a formidable challenge. This would be a great opportunity to try some "variable player powers".

Would this allow for a RPG-meets-boardgame idea? That would allow for player-characters vs dungeon-master, right?

XendoBreckett wrote:

(Recommendation: This type of game might have an NPC variant as well, so that players can take on the opponent together.)

yeah, and that would allow for it to turn into a pure cooperative game.

I'm guessing Castle Ravenloft would be a good example, but I've never played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually been considering that thought, about RPG meets boardgame... Good consideration, Sturv.

As far as postponing, YES, I will postpone, in light of the news about the Tiny Box design contest.
The opening date of this contest will be as of May 1st (allowing everyone to at least consider helping Kai with his contest idea).
Next, I will extend the deadline to June 15th... This will, hopefully, allow designers to thoroughly play-test their own designs before presenting them to PnPers.

Thanks for the recommendations, all. Keep them coming. I want this to be OUR design contest. So if something doesn't agree with you, and if there is reason to fix it, I will at least consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
good iffix i am glad you could shift your dates some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I verified with Kai; it looks like we're good to go. I'll update the starting post now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some inspirational stuff:

Zombie vs Humans (or vampires?/Werewolves) board game where players can be "turned" to the other teams

How many solo board games are out there?

Always alone... the definitive list of single player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving the idea of players switching teams. However, if players can come up with more creative ways to use this mechanic than with zombies or vampires, that would truly be epic.

As far as "Play alone" games, while I don't mind if this is a variant, the purpose of this design contest goes in a completely opposite direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I included the links on solo games because it might be rather eye-opening to see that games that are multiplayer can actually be played solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have begun to think better of allowing donations toward specific types of games, so here's my conclusion:
If you have a certain mechanic that you love in a game (Dice rolling, Action Point Allowance, Hand Management, Modular Board, Point to Point Movement, Set Collection, Simultaneous Action Selection, Variable Player Powers, Worker Placement, etc.), you may donate side prizes toward a mechanic exclusively.
You may also donate side prizes toward a certain type of game (Team Games, Strict Cooperative, Secret Opponent, All on 1, etc.) that fits into the Synergy theme.
However, again, one of the objectives of this contest is to inspire creativity, and that said, there will be no side prizes toward specific themes.
I look forward to another successful contest.
- Iffix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.