Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul, you may want to check out this thread for game stores in Vancouver, it will depend on where you'll be living of course.

Not sure about Stone Age but I'm sure someone will pipe in shortly.

All the best on your move out here.

Anthony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Witt
Canada
Smithers
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, good link above.

craving for a game in Surrye (mall store) has a huge selection of open, playable games. mall prices, though. but a fair trade for the ability to play before buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... would very much like to move to Vancouver one day ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul! Pre-emptive welcome to Vancouver!

In addition to the thread Anthony mentioned, here's another which lists the same cast of characters, but also has some editorial content from posters: Best BC Gaming Store

At any rate, if you haven't figured out yet, the Vancouver area is a great place for gaming, with lots of game shops scattered all over the city, each with its own personality, culture, etc.

Any ideas yet what part of the city you're looking to move to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the best city in Canada. And quite possibly the world.

Depending on what part of town you live in, you should find lots of groups to play with, whether it be out in Van proper or closer to my part of the world in Coquitlam.

Game stores: Drexoll is friendly but a little pricier. Craving for a Game in Surrey has great selection. Strategies and The Connection are both solid. And Starlit Citadel (online store) has local pickup available if you arrange it ahead of time. Tao (who runs SC) is great for answering your emails in near-real-time, too.

If you like AoS or other deeper train games you'll have to shoot me a GM, we're always looking for fresh meat new players. whistle

pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Anyone know the going price on the west coast? Am I better off buying it in Ottawa or Vancouver?
If buying from a store, will bet it is cheaper there, check out http://www.starlitcitadel.com/games/ we use them as a benchmark for prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure where you are moving to in Vancouver, but some friends of ours sell games in the greater vancouver area. They are out in Cloverdale.

http://boardgamegeek.com/user/kkrieger

They are selling Stone Age for about $35.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually buy from kkrieger myself, tough to get a better deal than from him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Khuu
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there is board game warriors. They're in New Westminster and their prices are on par with Starlit Citadel, but they have a storefront and they're open till at least 8 pm everyday i think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
Canada
flag msg tools
You're from Ottawa? The you may recall that folks from a certain spiky building in your town more or less bribed a certain mitten-wearing gentleman in the capitol of our fair province to enact the Harmonized Sales Tax without consulting the citizens of this province.

We didn't exactly have a tax revolt, as British Columbians tend to be mellow (great weather, awesome scenery, satisfying food, gorgeous people, etc.), but we did run Mr. 03-04659 out of office because of the HST. (03-04659 is Mittenhands' arrest number for a DUI in Hawai'i, and Mittenhands is related to his peculiar fascination with wearing red mittens continuously during our spectacular 2010 Winter Olympics).

To make the long story short, you will love Vancouver, as long as your job is good and you can afford to live here. There are lots of great gaming stores around. But, you will pay HST on lots of stuff, including board games purchased within our beautiful provincial borders. Unless you are intent on supporting our local economy, buy whatever you can before you get nailed by the HST! (Also stock up on light bulbs, while you are at it - word from the wise!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PatK wrote:
Welcome to the best city in Canada. And quite possibly the world.

I agree with you, moneysense magazine says otherwise, i say screw them. Ottawa is the best place in Canada to live as middle class financially i'd say but I couldn't handle the cold.

Welcome out west!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twelvefield wrote:
You're from Ottawa? The you may recall that folks from a certain spiky building in your town more or less bribed a certain mitten-wearing gentleman in the capitol of our fair province to enact the Harmonized Sales Tax without consulting the citizens of this province.

We didn't exactly have a tax revolt, as British Columbians tend to be mellow (great weather, awesome scenery, satisfying food, gorgeous people, etc.), but we did run Mr. 03-04659 out of office because of the HST. (03-04659 is Mittenhands' arrest number for a DUI in Hawai'i, and Mittenhands is related to his peculiar fascination with wearing red mittens continuously during our spectacular 2010 Winter Olympics).

To make the long story short, you will love Vancouver, as long as your job is good and you can afford to live here. There are lots of great gaming stores around. But, you will pay HST on lots of stuff, including board games purchased within our beautiful provincial borders. Unless you are intent on supporting our local economy, buy whatever you can before you get nailed by the HST! (Also stock up on light bulbs, while you are at it - word from the wise!)
QFT

Alas, Ontario has been hit with HST as well sir. July last year somethin like that.

It is pricey here though, but love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Craving for a Game in Surrey charges MSRP on most everything, it's listed as $50 there.

Board Game Warriors in New West is about 20% off MSRP for everything, listed at $40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
Canada
flag msg tools
Boze wrote:
Twelvefield wrote:

QFT

Alas, Ontario has been hit with HST as well sir. July last year somethin like that.

An hour after I wrote that post, I realized my ignorant gaffe, and was waiting for someone to call me out on it. But at least Ontarians were consulted about their HST.

A quick search shows that Ontario pays 13% sales taxes, we pay 12%. Somehow, it seems like more out here.

Lightbulbs are no joke, though. You'll have to drive to Alberta or the States to get the good ones, and that's only for another couple of years or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twelvefield wrote:
Boze wrote:
Twelvefield wrote:

QFT

An hour after I wrote that post, I realized my ignorant gaffe, and was waiting for someone to call me out on it. But at least Ontarians were consulted about their HST.

A quick search shows that Ontario pays 13% sales taxes, we pay 12%. Somehow, it seems like more out here.

Lightbulbs are no joke, though. You'll have to drive to Alberta or the States to get the good ones, and that's only for another couple of years or so.

lol it's all good, it's not even because I am some advocate for keeping up with the country's taxes, I just happen to live out there for a while.

and lol speak for yourself! i sure as heck wasn't consulted before hst was introduced! I was like, wtf m8!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Chocimski
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note, "Craving for a Game" shop has boardgame nights every thursday from 5pm to 9pm at surrey central mall.
You should come by if you get the chance, it's at Surrey Central Skytrain Station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k Eeyore
Canada
flag msg tools
If you out in Vancouver, Richmond or even Burnaby, try www.kevin-sports.ca

The offer a variety of games and a lot of other stuff.
The also allow local pickup by appointment in the Greater Vancouver area (Vancouver BC Canada)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls