Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Gola
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
My second game of Blue Moon using the inquisitors. My base deck was the Hoax, and my inquisitor was Grease-Palm, the creepy-looking guy that gives +10 cards and +15 moons. I thought that this was a good match-up, since the Hoax aren't dependent on any particular cards or combinations; they just have lots of good stuff in general. I spent a lot of my moons buying characters with big numbers, since the Hoax's characters are a bit on the weak side overall. Scary characters + killer supports = big trouble.

My deck design was as follows:

Hoax 01-05, 10-15, 17-30 (25 cards)
Aqua 01 (2 moons)
Aqua 21 (2 moons)
Aqua 22 (2 moons)
Aqua 27 (4 moons)
Flit 07 (2 moons)
Pillar 02 (2 moons)
Pillar 23 (1 moon)
Pillar 30 (2 moons)
Terrah 02 (2 moons)
Terrah 05 (1 moon)
Vulca 14 (1 moon) An iffy choice, but certainly it's not bad for a one-moon card.
Mutant 105
Achievement 201 (2 moons)
Interference 405 (2 moons) I almost didn't include this one because I find the art a little too creepy.
Influence 605

Characters: 19 (including 2 retrieve)
Booster: 3 (including 1 retrieve)
Support: 10 (including 2 retrieve and 2 free)
Leadership phase: 7

I included the butterfly card since I felt like there was some synergy with Sarogakanas the Ancient, which lets me draw and discard two from the other players' hand—there's a big difference between drawing two cards at random and actually getting to see what your options are! Meanwhile I thought the two free Aqua supports would match up well with the fellow who doubles the values of support cards.

There's no real theme or cleverness to the deck; it's just a bunch of bad-ass stuff lying in a pile.

My opponent was one Matthew "Octavian" Monin, and he was fielding a nasty Khind deck with the Razor-Mind inquisitor that was designed to put a lot of cards into his hand. Gulp.

The first game was my biggest success; I won with two dragons on my side, though one of my three crystals was taken away by an achievement card that Matthew had gotten to the table. In fact, Matthew was able to activate this accursed achievement card four out of the five games that we played in the campaign, whereas I was never able to get mine out once. Regardless, I won the next game as well and earned another crystal for a total of three. Yay! Only two more to go!

My luck dried up in the third game, however. About two-thirds of the way through, Matthew had all three dragons on his side. I still felt like I could fight my way back, though. We were in the middle of a pitched battle, and Matthew had an enormous fistful of cards in his hand, so I played my butterfly card to check out what I was up against. Well, I got a nasty shock: he had not one but two killer gangs ready to roll. I was in deep trouble. To make matters worse, on his next turn he played Blow Whistle of Friendship to draw his achievement, though he would have to wait a turn to use it. Good sport that he is, he gave me a piece of advice: "if you retreat now, the game will end and I'll get four crystals; if you keep going, I'll get to put down the achievement, and if you end up retreating anyway, I'll get five crystals and win the whole thing." I took his suggestion and bailed out, and he took the four crystals.

In the fourth game I fell behind the eight ball once again, but I was able to battle back in the eleventh hour and bring all the dragons to the center again. Matthew ran out of cards first (as he did in every game but the one that ended early, since he was charging through his deck like a cheetah), so I scored one crystal. This evened the score four to four; whoever won the next game would win the campaign. Could I pull it off?

No. Everything clicked for the Khind, and when things click for the Khind you get your ass kicked. Towards the end Matthew once again had the dragons on his side and we had a brutal fight going back and forth, hitting numbers like twelve and fourteen, each of us sending overhead smashes over the net only to see the ball come flying back meaner and harder than before. Finally I got him to crack, but it was too late; he won the game with a dragon on his side plus his damned achievement, netting him three crystals for a 7-4 win.

The game was a lot of fun; my deck was very enjoyable, and the competition was fierce. When it was all said and done I felt like I had gotten hammered on, though really I hadn't, since I had won three out of the five games; it's just hard not to get that impression when the Khind hit their stride—there's no other deck that can outright clobber you when things go their way. That's not to take anything away from Matthew, though; the Khind certainly don't play themselves. He did a fantastic job both building the deck and playing it out and he beat me fair and square.

Regardless, I felt like had done a pretty good job with my own deck as well. In five games there were maybe only one or two incidents where I had crazy, unplayable hands, and I take that as a sign that I had pretty much nailed the all-important character-to-booster/support-to-leadership-phase ratio. As usual, I was never once able to use Trigger Brainstorm to any good effect, and my Rout Retainers card was all but useless, but they're both Leadership cards and so are pretty easy to ditch.

My only regret was that I didn't include enough Khindbuster cards. Brain Drain was really the only major thorn in Matthew's side (as it prevents the other player from playing more than one card on their turn), though Deploy Butterfly and Twittertweet were also helpful. The butterfly cards aren't really my style, but I was glad to have one in this case, even if it sometimes only meant that I knew how badly my ass was going to get kicked.

After all this time, Blue Moon remains one of my favorite games. How is it that it's not more popular? It's a mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up. I just opened up the Aqua today which completes my collection of all the people decks. I have one of the E&I decks (blessings I think?) and just need the other!

This is one of my fiancee's favorite games for good reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
My deck design was as follows

I'm not going to attempt to analyse the deck, I'm just going to address one point.

Quote:
My only regret was that I didn't include enough Khindbuster cards.

Khind are always a danger (though it would be interesting to know what's been winning on the German Blue Moon Fans site). But with regard to specific anti-Khind cards, there's a 0-moon one (if you are Hoax) missing, Mekarthas the Shrewd [Hoax 16]. But also take a look at the Buka, where two cards were designed and one was modified specifically to be anti-Khind.

Boatswain Mena Marn [Buka 19] ("You may not have more than one active character card at the end of your Character phase.") has some minor effects elsewhere, but is aimed straight at the Khind. Coxswain Mora Marn [Buka 20] ("If this card is played from a landed ship, now I may discard all cards from your combat area, except active PROTECTED cards.") was aimed at the Buka, but is pretty useless outside a Buka deck.

Finally the PROTECTED icon on Lookout Dolora Paal [Buka 22] ("Now I may discard all of your active booster cards or all of your active support cards.") was added specifically to enable it to remove Laughing Gas, which is otherwise a real nuisance in the Khind deck. And comparing it with Cinder [Vulca 14] for 2 moons rather than 1 you get that and removal of all the cards of one type rather than just one. Worth considering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
But with regard to specific anti-Khind cards, there's a 0-moon one (if you are Hoax) missing, Mekarthas the Shrewd [Hoax 16].
Right, afterward I went back and looked at the Hoax cards that I had left out and I smacked myself in the head when I came across that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
But with regard to specific anti-Khind cards, there's a 0-moon one (if you are Hoax) missing, Mekarthas the Shrewd [Hoax 16].
Right, afterward I went back and looked at the Hoax cards that I had left out and I smacked myself in the head when I came across that one.

Mekarthas makes a good anti-Khind card. It's also a strong anti-Buka card, and it's worth noting that shields are icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls