Lost Battles» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Shadows of the Battle of Leucra... (pictorial) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to play this game face to face with a friend of mine (Jacopo).

We divided the table in 20 sections and used red (Spartans) and black (Thebans) cardboard to identify the units.
I also added plastic miniatures from the Conquest game to further identify infantry from cavalry and for aesthetic purposes.
As you may see, the larger units of infantry are considered for the game as "Levy" units, that is units that have little will to fight. While the "smaller" ones are considered "Veteran" units, that is the Spartans and the Theban Sacred Band.

Unfortunately most of the pictures I took of the battle came out blurred, so I'll use Vassal to narrate the events of this epic struggle.

Note: the first letter: "A" stands for Average; "L" for Levy and "V" for Veteran.
"HO" for Hoplite; "LI" for Light Infantry; "HC" for Heavy Cavalry and "LC" for Light Cavalry.
"IL" stands for Inspired Leader, in this battle it is Epaminondas, the Theban leader.
"UL" stands for Uninspired Leader in this battle is Cleombrotus, the Spartan leader.

Both armies deployed historically, this is the 2nd turn.
There is only one variation - suggested to me by Prof. Sabin - to place a Theban AHC on the Left Flank, instead of the original placement in the square with Epaminondas.

SPARTAN TURN#2

Caring little of being outflanked by the Theban Cavalry, the Spartans aggressively move forward followed, reluctantly, by their weaker allies to the center and their left.
The Spartan Cavalry charged and met with the Theban Cavalry. First blood was drawn...

THEBAN TURN#2

Ignoring Epaminondas' orders to stay back while the left flank dealt with the frightening Spartans, the center Hoplites marched forward!
The Sacred Band went all out taking the lives of many valorous Spartan warriors, while the rest of the Hoplite "column" joined the ranks and pushed forward.
The Spartans for a moment hesitated, they were not used to an enemy who wanted to stand and fight. This would be a bloody battle...

SPARTAN TURN#3

Maybe more careful in their approach, the Spartans send Hoplites on their right, to stop the Theban Cavalry from outflanking their position long enough to crush the Theban column pushing towards them.
They renewed their attacks on every front... but the Gods of War didn't favour them, not today. Minimal damage was done on the Thebans in part due to the exceptional presence of Epaminondas on the field who managed to rally the battered Hoplites and send them back in the fray!
Things, for the Spartans, were not looking good at all.

THEBAN TURN#3

Disaster stroked the Spartans as soon as their "Allies" showed their true face. Unwilling to die at the first sign of a fight they abandoned their shields and fled the battlefield.
The Spartans watched this rout with contempt. A Spartan never retreats. Never.
The cavalry on the right penetrated deep in the Hoplites' ranks, a breakthrough would be achieved there too.

SPARTAN TURN#4

Betrayed by their Allies, the Spartans decided that it was time to fight! So they pushed as much as they could. Their spears found their marks and ranks and ranks of Theban Hoplites fell under their fury!
For as many as they were, the Theban column was on the brink of collapse... even Epaminondas looked unable to save the day.

THEBAN TURN#4

But guided by Athena, a spear flew high in the sky; it arched over the carnage, it found a spot, a soft spot in a fearsome warrior otherwise covered with shiny metal and passed him through. In an instant he realized that he was dead. He tried to stand and fight, to shout exhortations to his fellow men, but he could stand no more. So he knelt. The sounds of battle were far away, there was only him, his pain and death. Before darkness descended upon his eyes he managed to extract the red weapon that was stuck deep in his left lung. For an instant he gasped for precious air, and then lied still.
That man was Cleombrotus, a fearsome warrior among fearsome men.

The Spartan morale was shattered. All was lost!
Only a few continued to fight on, to buy just enough time for the rest to flee...

SUCCESSIVE TURNS...

The rest of this chronicle is not a battle, but a gruesome mopping up.

The ferocity of combat is never paralleled by the slaughter of the pursuit thereafter lost battles.

Vassal never will show you the last moments of an ancient battlefield...

VICTORY POINTS

Spartans: 58

Thebans: 79

THEBAN (NARROW) VICTORY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hidden Among the Leaves
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most excellent! Thank you very much!

M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just came across this as I am new to game. Just posted our refight which resulted in a clear Spartan victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
TrotskyTrotsky wrote:
Just came across this as I am new to game. Just posted our refight which resulted in a clear Spartan victory.

Yes, I've read your AAR. Nice!

I believe the Leucra Battle can really go either way, and I think it is one of the best battles to play with the system for its semplicity and tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.