Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the Valley edition, and just need a little clarification on a couple situations:

1) The rules state
Quote:
A player may not be able to place all of a card's blocks...in which case he places as many as he can. A player may not, however, voluntarily place fewer blocks than shown on the card.
Suppose I wanted to play a card with no Cannon and 3 Red blocks so it's in my display as a tie-breaker, but the Red supply is exhausted. Is it legal for me to play that card and place zero blocks, or do I need to be able to place SOME blocks for it to be legal?

My guess is this is legal, and sneaky.

2) Is the Battle considered lost only in the event of an unresolved tie? What about if nobody placed anything in the Battle Box that turn, or if there were no Generals in our displays during the Battle Phase?

My guess is that the Battle is considered lost unless there is a definitive winner, and this can create interesting situations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1) REVISED: Yes, this is legal. You may play a card and place zero blocks if there are none left in the supply.

2) Yes. In the event of a tie, it is only lost if a tie remains unresolved. A battle is lost if no tokens or generals are present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. In all my playing of this game, #1 has never come up. Good question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
We had a variant of #1 just the other day in our 3p game. One player had used all his control markers and wanted to play a personality card just to get it into his display. We deemed it a legal play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
aaxiom wrote:
Can't the phrase, "...as many as he can." mean zero?
Yes, I think that is how we decided. However, I am having a hard time finding the email thread that took care of this. I still have a sneaking suspicion that zero = can't play that card. In other words, to choose this option, at least one block has to be placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
OK, finally found it.

Yes, we left the wording that way because "as many as he can" may mean zero. So you could play the card down placing zero blocks if zero were available.

With the variant situation above, we did not run into this before. But my leaning would be the opposite as players have a little more control over their own pieces and they are limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... how would this situation ever arise in a game? In the original rules for Liberte, the minute any one faction's blocks were exhausted the round ended, meaning it would be impossible for the next player to be in such a situation.

Is this a change in the current edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
otrex wrote:
Hmm... how would this situation ever arise in a game? In the original rules for Liberte, the minute any one faction's blocks were exhausted the round ended, meaning it would be impossible for the next player to be in such a situation.

Is this a change in the current edition?
No it is not a change. It is true that the ROUND ends once a supply is exhausted but the round is completed in full with all players getting equal turns. That was part of the original rules.

So Player one could exhaust the supply, and Players 2+ might run into this situation if they are trying to place the exhausted blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I think about it, I must be confusing it with a house rule or tournament rule (where the round ends immediately).

Very good, thanks for the answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks so much for clearing these up!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
badge
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
juliki wrote:
that's the way we played it two days ago: the round ended immediately! We have to read the rules again.

Yeah It Seems we played that rule wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cricket
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
juliki wrote:
so if nobody has a general in display (we had that situation two days ago) or if nobody placed anything in the battle box, the battle is not considered to be lost an no white block is placed on the battle? So it doesn't count towards royalist counter revolution sudden death victory?
thanks
That's incorrect according to the first edition rules where it states that

Quote:
Every battle for which no player gained VPs is regarded as a lost battle and counts as a single controlled CR province, which reduces the number of provinces that need to be controlled on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
juliki wrote:
so if nobody has a general in display (we had that situation two days ago) or if nobody placed anything in the battle box, the battle is not considered to be lost an no white block is placed on the battle? So it doesn't count towards royalist counter revolution sudden death victory?
thanks
No, that was not our intent. Reading back over where you got that from, it seems I did not read the rest of the question and my answer implied something I did not mean it to imply.

When I said "only" I meant that in the event of a tie, it is "only lost" if the tie remains unresolved. If no one sends any forces or generals, the battle is still lost. I will clarify my answer above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks for the correction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinley Engvalson
United States
West Palm Beach
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You say, "Suppose I wanted to play a card with no Cannon and 3 Red blocks so it's in my display as a tie-breaker, but the Red supply is exhausted. Is it legal for me to play that card and place zero blocks, or do I need to be able to place SOME blocks for it to be legal?"

But I do not read the rules as authorizing the placement of blocks when a player puts a card in his display for later use. Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules for the Valley Games edition, it's in the "Clean-up" sidebar.

After playing a card you can either discard it or save it in your Personal Display. The rules regarding the Display are in the same sidebar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinley Engvalson
United States
West Palm Beach
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up