• [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree that the cut of the circular markers are hit and miss but personally I like the game. Its fun and its quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Did you ever have such a good time reading a scathing review that, for some reason, it made you want the game MORE? So I'm now deciding on getting this game, or a good cockpunch. I'll update you on my decision at a future date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
um, sure ... but what did you really think about the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would be inclined to take your review much more seriously if you cleaned up your language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a fun game. You can't tell me you don't enjoy placing the mushroom clouds and imagining Major "King" Kong dropping those bombs over cold war Soviet Russia. Toe-to-toe is my B-17 Queen of the Skies light. I love the design and look of Toe-to-Toe, its portability, quick gameplay, and how it pays homage to classic cinema. I've taken the board and slipped it into a protective binder sheet, never to be folded again. The crease was my only concern with my copy of the game.

Chris Taylor has done nothing but create one solid solitaire game after another for VPG and until recently, none of his creations were a States of Siege offering. When he did riff on the SoS model, with his Legions of Darkness, he added such great creative variations, that it felt nothing like a States of Siege game. He knows what he's doing designing board games. Solo gamers are the real winners here as he's produced so many great games to add variety to our selection.

If you're a VPG fan, you know Toe-to-Toe is decent. If you're new to their products, there are other games you could buy first for a heftier first impression of the company or Chris Taylor. But rest assured, you'll be back for Toe.

Buy this game. You can't go wrong with the solid game design, the look and theme and its quick fix for solitaires everywhere.

Recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
Brett Schaller wrote:
I would be inclined to take your review much more seriously if you cleaned up your language.

I've always wondered what language has to do with accuracy, but whatever. Hook VPG up, buy the game, and I hope you like it. There's plenty of reviews around, and plenty of reviewers. Opinionated Gamers, Little Metal Dog Show, Men With Dice....take your pick. I'm sure they're more up your alley.

I assumed the use of foul language was a deliberate creative decision. I thought it was handled with real panache and verve. Clearly over the top.

I suspect the reviewer isn't as immune to the after affects of alcohol as he presumes. Age takes its toll on all of us. It seems reasonable to assume this may have colored his experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got any more rape jokes? Because those are always the funniest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
EDIT: Dude, you're a genius. That's how this game, and for that matter, a lot of VPG games should be sold. As Iphone apps. I suspect Chris will not come back to have to read this, because I know it has to feel shitty to have some ass come into a room and piss in your wheaties, but if he does, here's my 2 cents: get a programmer and get these games on Iphones and Androids, maybe 10 bucks a pop....THAT would be a goldmine. I'd spend 50 bucks on their games without batting an eyelash. Just not this one, even if it had movie clips throughout.

This is an ongoing project at VPG. I'm not sure if Toe to Toe is on the schedule at this point, and several games, especially solitaire ones, will be ported in the relatively near future.

You're entitled to your opinion on the game, of course, and as you point out, its just one voice. It also seems to be a very minority opinion on the game. I enjoy the game. Its not the meatiest game every, and it may lose its charm after about a dozen plays, and there aren't many games period that I play a dozen times. Hell, these days there are a lot of games I never get to play twice! For me, there's enough tension, variation and fun to sustain it. Obviously your tastes differ.

To rag on VPG for components is old news these days. VPG won't have the FFG quality components because it doesn't fit with VPG's business model. Some things will change (for instance, a shift from inkjet to laser, hopefully in the next few months) and if you're coming to VPG for glossy counters and plastic figures, you're going to be disappointed.

Forbidden Island is a great game at a great price...that I don't imagine being any fun solitaire, and that really requires a bigger group to be enjoyed. I don't even see where a comparison between the two is relevant.

I agree with the criticisms about foul language and rape jokes. To me, they kill credibility. Not because I don't use foul language, I certainly do. And generally if I have to resort to it to get my point across, its because I'm not effectively communicating what what I'd like to say and I've resorted to brute force. With that analogy, perhaps it makes sense why you went down the road to a rape joke. They are in the same vein.

To me, this came across as a review by someone who was shouting "LOOK AT ME! I CAN WRITE A COLUMN AND PEOPLE WILL PAY ATTENTION TO ME! THAT MAKES ME GREAT!" Of course, you may see it differently, and that's your prerogative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
I wanted to like this, I really did, but it just wasn't there for me.

Do you mind me asking what year you were born?

I suspect only people over a certain age can appreciate the theme of this game. I was born in 1969, so I came of age at the tail end of the Cold War. Grew up on a diet of Cold War movies like War Games, Firefox, and Amazing Grace and Chuck. If someone were born in 1980 or later, and wasn't a history buff, I wouldn't expect them to like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying a VPG game and then complaining about the component quality is like buying a minvan and complaining that it doesnt handle like a sports car.

It is what it is. What did you expect?

VPG is very upfront about components. If you need loads of plastic and mounted maps, this isnt the company for you.

Now, you didnt like the gameplay, and that's fair. Not everyone is gonna like it. For me, it gave a kindof "B-29 Superfortress" feel, but without the 50+ pages of rules and charts. It worked for me, not for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:

Thanks for not being an asshole, too, Tim, seriously. This one article has singlehandedly caused me to close up shop because I am no longer willing to be a beating post by fanbois and "smartest guys in the world". A little civility, as you've shown, even over controversial topics shows you to be a class act, and I tip my hat to you.

Though I don't necessarily have a problem with your review, this comment is a little weird to me. I think the review pretty much sets up a "no-class" atmosphere. If you want to extend valid criticisms into over-the-top insults, then you can expect that reviewers of your review may feel justified taking the same tack. Actually, I found your replies in the follow on comments more enlightening on your experience with the game than the brute-force hammer blows in your review, which seemed to be used more for entertainment value than actual feedback and communication. Which, like I said, I really don't have a problem with, heavy handed attack tactics can be amusing in the right context. Just don't take it personal when they are returned by others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear you have decided to stop doing reviews, but I cant argue with your reasons; you got to have a titanium plated ego not to be affected by some of the things people will post when you don't like Their Game.

I will say one more thing about VPG games and those tiny tiny dice. Some people seem to think they are cute, while others seem offended by there very size.

But what you need to remember is that they are a Bonus, given to you free of charge. If you read the rules; you will see they say you need to supply your own dice. That is deliberate. The dice that comes with VPG games is supposed to be a little extra thrown in by the company, as a sort of thank-you for buying the game.

In the interest of full disclosure, I admit I did the graphics for the Rooskies map. (I did the map for Nemo's War too, which you liked. I did Not actually like Nemo's War. But I don't need to like a game to help out with the graphics.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tyson
United States
Landing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I liked your review, and agree that VPG games are overpriced for the quality of components that are provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the game. I disagreed with most of your comments and was put off by your vulgarity. I've never really associated vulgarity with art. Even your first photo was off putting.

I can appreciate that you didn't like the game...that you hated the game. For me, the price point was about what I expected and the quality was better than similar ziplock bag games I used to get when I was a kid (shout out to Steve Jackson).

Some may think that the materials/game bits do not give enough value for the price payed, but I found the game to be entertaining. That was worth the price of admission. I did laminate the map and sleeve the cards. I sleeve cards for lots of games. I put plexiglass over lots of game boards. I also put the game in a 3 ring binder and use document protectors and a zippered pencil pouch to hold the game bits. I have lots of games that I use alternative storage for. So, none of that is really a negative for me. My game pieces punched fine and the little die is similar to the ones I use in my Pirates constructible games. They are cute.

Your review was definitely "over the top", but I do not find profanity particularly funny in and of itself, so the humor was lost. Without the humor, your review just came across as screeching. I think you are intelligent and that you believe that you have a valid grievance about this game. I am almost positive that you could have put that across effectively with humor and style and tact if you wanted to. I can see your point of view, but the delivery really could have been better.

Don't give up on reviews. Your honesty is obvious and you get points with me for that. It's OK to not like a game...even to hate it, and tell others or "warn" others about it. We don't need all the reviews to be a cheer leading session. It's OK to be "over the top" and that can sometimes be pretty funny. But profanity used that way is insulting to some of your readers and it degrades you. You can do better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone is charging $80 AUS for one of the D-Day games, that is ridiculous. You'd be far better off ordering direct and paying the postage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Coldwarrior1984 wrote:
I enjoyed the game. I disagreed with most of your comments and was put off by your vulgarity. I've never really associated vulgarity with art. Even your first photo was off putting.

Those were my exact thoughts, too.

When someone tries to be the life of the party by drinking booze, using swaggering profanity, and making vulgar comparisons, only to subsequently vomit on the host's carpet and then stumble around trying to put their arm (just one; the other hand is holding a beer in a plastic cup of course) around others as the chunks continue to dribble out of their mouth, it is an uncomfortable situation for all involved.

The OP mentions that he is done with so-called reviews, and I do commend him for drawing at least that one mature conclusion - save yourself the grief (that you brought upon yourself), and save us the tiresome contrived drama of such high school antics.

Dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
earthboot wrote:
I mean, I wanted to buy one of their D-Day games, and it was AUS $80!

Blair, there's something wrong here - the two main games in that series retail for $25 US each.

I'd be curious to hear more about this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
This one article has singlehandedly caused me to close up shop because I am no longer willing to be a beating post by fanbois and "smartest guys in the world".

I think that would be a pity. There are unfortunately too few negative reviews of games. Most people who don't like a game will not put in the effort to write up an article explaining why. This means that when researching a game through reviews on sites like this, we usually get a certain amount of "selection bias". I personally like negative reviews, some of them have convinced me of trying a game out.

I found your review entertaining and appreciated your comments in this thread. Keep the vitriol when you feel it's deserved, at least when I read a favorable review of yours I'll know it's not because you got a free copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind negative reviews. Heck, if they save me from buying a few dogs, that's a good thing. However, I think a negative review written in this style lacks credibility, at least for me. Its written in such a style that it sounds like the drunk guy talking about why that woman at the bar who shot him down really wasn't as pretty as she thought and how she probably had diseases, etc. It just wasn't written in the style of a serious critique.

Frankly, that applies to a lot of positive reviews I've read on this site, too. People get so gushy about a certain series that I think "The designer could have taken a dump in the box and this guy would have given it a good review." A reasoned review goes a lot further with me than one that just goes to extremes (positive or negative) just for the sake of going to extremes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job, Pete. You totally distracted the few interested folks on this site from the fact that the theme of this game is NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST.

Comparing dropping an A-bomb on populated areas of the world to prison rape and having all the hubbub be about the comments on the quality of the components or the obviously sarcastic comparison to Prison Rape and harsh language is absolutely priceless.

You even got the regulars at the Fort stirred up, which is an achievement.

Bravo, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this comment interesting. Not wrong or anything, just interesting. I have a real problem with an upcoming GMT game called Bomber Command or something like that, which is about the night bombing campaigns over Germany, and of which a major focus is bombing civilians. To me, that's wrong. Yet at the same time, I enjoy this one, and I enjoy Nuclear War and its successors. To me, the big difference is that the latter group are tongue in cheek. They aren't attempting to be serious simulations.

Lets face it, if we play wargames, most of the time we're ignoring the collateral damage. Maybe that sanitizes them a bit for us. The only time I can really stomach it is if its done tongue in cheek. I mean, look at the title of this one. Is anyone going to really think its a serious simulation?

And yet, I can understand your reaction. If push comes to shove, it is about nuking people (well, usually enemy combatants, and sometimes Moscow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not bothered by the theme of the game. I'm amused that others would be bothered by the language and content of this review and yet say nothing about the theme of the game, which is far more horrendous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
I'm not bothered by the theme of the game. I'm amused that others would be bothered by the language and content of this review and yet say nothing about the theme of the game, which is far more horrendous.

So you're saying its bad that when I play The Downfall of Pompeii that I cackle when I drop people in the volcano?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
KenToad wrote:

So you're saying its bad that when I play The Downfall of Pompeii that I cackle when I drop people in the volcano?

I'm offended that a game where I win by successfully triggering nuclear holocaust doesn't have premium components. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.