Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been holding off on writing this for a while because I wanted to get a chance to give all the different chariot options a whirl before writing up a review. I am going to assume at least passing familiarity with other Great Battles of History (GBoH) games.

First off, let's talk chariots (and runner infantry):

While chariots have made appearances in other GBoH games, here they're front and center. As the focus of the game, they're dealt with in more detail than in other GBoH games.

Their are two basic types of chariots, two man (CH2) and three man (CH3). The two man chariots are high speed missile machines, while the three man chariots are slower, but more capable in melee. It's not quite that simple however, as there's one more wrinkle: runner infantry (RI). These guys jog along with the CH2s stacking with them and providing melee capability and protection. The interactions between the two and when to stack and unstack lead to a quite interesting set of tactical choices.

Chariots can also pass through one another. This mobility combined with 360 degree longish ranged (for the CH2s anyhow) missile attacks, combined with the ability to fire over a single unit gives chariots an impressive ability to attack a wide range of targets. This leads to a much more fluid and swirling fight than the more linear affairs common in many other GBoH games.

All of this combines to make playing with the various combinations of chariots a fun and interesting challenge.

Activation chaos:
The activation system is a departure from the initiative base GBoH veterans will be familiar with. It's a chit pull system with each formation having a chit, and there being one additional momentum chit which can allow a group to potentially activate twice. I think this provides a nice chaotic feel for a time when the art of army organization and command was far less developed. Trumping still exists. Much like momentum, it is modified to fit in with the new activation system.

Rout and Rally:
Here's another major departure from most GBoH games. When a unit has had enough, it either melts away completely or routs to a standard. This is done very similarly to the "teleportation" routing in Men of Iron. It's a bit more abstract, but much quicker. I'm not so sure about this rule. I'm not against it, I'm just not sure the simplification gained was worth making it work differently form other games in the series./For a new player, it's probably an improvement though.

The Familiar:
There's still plenty of pretty standard GBoH stuff here. With minor tweaks as in most games in the series. The counters look pretty similar, and the numbers usually mean the same things like the ever important Troop Quality (TQ).

The missile fire system is pretty similar, as is the TQ based multiple table shock combat with Cohesion Hits and the such.

Overall:

All in all I'd say that Chariots of Fire is a great addition to the GBoH line.It's simpler rules may make it a nice introduction, while the more fluid situations generate by the mobility of the chariots ensure that veterans will still have plenty to think about.

I'm giving it 8.5/10. A very good entry to the series, but not quite my favorite.

-If you like the GBoH system, get this game.
-If you like the Simple GBoH System, conversions are included, but I don't play SGBoH, so I can;t tell you how well they work.
- If you're interested in the era, this is probably a good choice, the streamlined activation and rout/rally systems seem like they would make this a good intro to the GBoH family. It's still not a light game, but with a bit of fiddling, it;'s not that hard to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Ryan,

This is an extremely belated response , but very nice and concise review. I've been putting off buying this game a few years now, only because other games that I just have to have even more seem to keep popping up. But reading your review makes me want to finally bite the (financial) bullet and finally get this gem. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borodin wrote:
Hello Ryan,

This is an extremely belated response , but very nice and concise review. I've been putting off buying this game a few years now, only because other games that I just have to have even more seem to keep popping up. But reading your review makes me want to finally bite the (financial) bullet and finally get this gem. Thanks.

Glad you found it useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.