Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If one were to connect the word epic to a game it might well fit Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic (WTID).

Designer Daniel Hodges has certainly created a detailed wargame with WTID, focusing in on a rather recent conflict which at the time drew lots of press coverage, and then has tended to be forgotten.

It was in May 1982, when a missile fired from the Sea Harrier of Royal Naval Air Squadron struck a Mirage III, an Argentinian aircraft, starting the The Falkland/Malvinas War.

The war would last for only 45 days pitting the armed forces of the United Kingdom and Argentina against one another in a battle to determine who had the right to govern the Falkland Islands.

The game is published by Fifth Column Games, and is a brand new offering to wargamers, having been released only last year. Their website explains the game. “In this solitaire military simulation boardgame, you have the opportunity to recreate those fateful summer days, commanding the British Task Force as it attempts to defend itself from concerted attacks by Argentine air and naval forces, and mount a successful amphibious landing on the disputed islands.”

That the game is a solitaire one will appeal to many since it can be difficult to find players into detailed war simulation boardgames, especially one as detailed as WTID.

The game comes in a huge box filled with detailed goodies for the serious wargamer.

This is a game where you need to clear off the kitchen table, a rather large kitchen table actually, to lay out the game board, which by the way is thick and should last for decades.

There are a handful of dice, and lots of cardboard markers to mimic troops, plus charts to cross reference to see what the dice rolls mean as the game is played.

The game also comes with two true gaming gems; a detailed rulebook that while daunting if not into detail wargames, is extremely well laid out.
An Intelligence Briefing Booklet with great illustrations provides even more detail for a full game experience.

The game is suggested to play out in four hours, I did mention it was detailed, but there is no way you’ll do it that quick the first time out of the box unless you are a fanatic wargamer, and even then it will be a challenge.

This is a game with a blizzard weekend fill-in feel to it. You start on Saturday and wind-up sometime Sunday after a long, detailed wargame experience. That detail is both the game’s strength, it really gives you a feeling of controlling the nuances of war, yet those details will mean casual gamers shy away from the experience.

Check out this great game at http://fifthcolumngames.co.uk

-- The review appeared originally in Yorkton This Week newspaper, in Saskatchewan, Canada, Feb. 24/2010
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mb
Great review. If I recall correctly I checked this out a while back but the price and postage made it nigh impossible for me to get this to New Zealand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh... WtiD is a detailed wargame? It's not exactly Harpoon. WtiD makes quite a few abstractions from the politics to operational and tactical decisions to make the game playable in one sitting. And good thing too, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tate
United Kingdom
Banbury
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it's also now out-of-print and will not be reprinted (if a reply from Dan to an enquiry from a friend of mine is to be believed)

Great, great game though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spence
United Kingdom
Newtownabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Blub, blub blub...
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, the title should be changed to 'incredibly comprehensive..'

or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutantheed wrote:

Yes, the title should be changed to 'incredibly comprehensive..'
or something like that.

Keep in mind he originally posted the review in a local newspaper. I think "incredibly detailed" is accurate, given the original audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary S.
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pak43 wrote:
I believe it's also now out-of-print and will not be reprinted (if a reply from Dan to an enquiry from a friend of mine is to be believed)

Great, great game though...

What? Seriously? No reprint ever for a 2009 game in 2011?

That's quite mad. It's a little early to confine a game to history.

I know guys (myself included) that would leap at this if we could actually get hold of it.

I've properly looked and I can't find it, which makes me think that almost all copies have been sold. So that being the case, why are they backing off a reprint.

Surely it's self evident that there is a demand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pheasant Plucker wrote:

Surely it's self evident that there is a demand.

Selling out of one print run, even with some demand left over doesn't mean there's enough demand for another run.

A demand? Sure. Enough demand? I have no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has actually sold out TWO print runs. I will join you in hoping for a third!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
As Mike said it has already had 2 print runs.

A small company (1 man (Daniel Hodges) plus a helper or two) with limited time is inevitably going to find each run a stretch.

This plus the fact he has 2 games lined up for print runs - Lost Battles (this month) and then Codeword Cromwell means a further reprint is way down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
where's the review? is it cut off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreeHansje wrote:
Does any1 know of a PC-game like this? There used to be games on modern naval warfare in the dim past(Harpoon), but today?

Check out http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1101 ...it is released and under active development. A nice supplement for WTID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.