Subject: Tell me about the Russian Front rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alex w
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOndered if anyone played this game and held onto Stalingrad for a turn or two before retreating....Now, thats a feat I would like to know about.

Somehow, there is always an urge to send the Armies of Army group south Northwards......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Blackwell
England
Rotherfield
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not me, not with Romanian & Hungarian troops waiting to be chewed up. Farthest East I ever got was to Kursk/Rostov with fortuitous dice roles on the above mentioned and a few hexes over Kerch. In the North/centre I almost encircled Moscow but couldnt hold position long
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Watson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stalingrad has been taken two or three times in the current series of wars I'm involved in with Dave Earle from Canada. In our previous war I managed to get a 756 Pzr korps through to Stalingrad, it was pretty suicidal, I cant remember what the strategic reason was but they were quickly wiped out and I went on to lost the war. Only once, against a thoroughly weakened red airforce, has the city been successfully held until the next (decisive) victory check.

As John Martino mentioned above, the mapboard extensions on Vassal make Stalingrad a bit more reachable because with these the city is no longer so near the map edge, making it less easy for the Soviets to immediately spring to its defence, but saying that any invader is still very exposed at Stalingrad due to its distance from the nearest strong hub - Rostov- the lengthy supply lines, supporting airbase vulnerability and the good Soviet rail connections into the area.

Using the Vassal extensions Dave also once managed to cripple my transport network with continuous Axis bombing and using naval superiority managed to work a few units halfway down the east side of the Black Sea, maybe 250 miles south of the original mapboard edge and poised to conquer the oil-rich caucasians up to the Caspian, before a decisive victory check prevented this historic acheivement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex w
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remembered once I send most of my army group center's panzers down south. 2 panzer group's worth. Went very close to Stalingrad but still could not reach it. Cursed the die rolls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Veenenberg
Netherlands
Vinkeveen
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Why this game is so good ???
Best Map (with 1914 of Avalon Hill and Okinawa of International Team)

Finest rules on the East Front: all is there and very elegant.

Huge fun to play!!! Exiting.

Beautiful too: especially the map and counters.

TIP: use counters and CRT with some borrowed rules in old Stalingrad game of Avalon Hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.