Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The question below refers to an authorized printing of the re-design.
Poll
If the re-desgign pictured here, by
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
, were available at a reasonable price (similar to other games with comparable components) ...
I do not own (and would not buy) the original, but would buy this.
I own (or would buy) the original, and would also buy this.
I own (or would buy) the original, but would not buy this.
I do not own (and would not buy) the original, and would not buy this.
      531 answers
Poll created by pastabatman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here are more images posted by the designer:

The original:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Your results are going to be muddied by the fact that you haven't specified if the hypothetical printing would be authorized by CGF. For me there's absolutely no question that Heiko's graphic design is superior to the original, but I wouldn't seek out an unauthorized printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly the most useful picture would be a bunch of cards scattered in the pool. I think t his would be the weakness of this design (and several others). It is pretty to look at though.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
Your results are going to be muddied by the fact that you haven't specified if the hypothetical printing would be authorized by CGF. For me there's absolutely no question that Heiko's graphic design is superior to the original, but I wouldn't seek out an unauthorized printing.
I think most readers would assume 'authorized' but I added the wording to the post (can't change the poll, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the original art at all, in spite of having a minor in Classical Studies. It's kind of silly, but more importantly it works on the table. Most importantly, I don't know if my wife would even look at the redesign: it's neat, and nostalgic, but I don't know that it conveys the theme any better. In fact, I think not. As I said, it is nice, and I like the simplicity, but it doesn't "correct" anything for me.

Cheers!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really more difficult than the few options given in the poll:

If this were a PnP game, I wouldn't mind spending a few euros on a good game with that design.

If it wasn't official, I wouldn't spend any money (nor be wanting to support it) but rather buy the original.

In reality, although only the cover has been shown yet, I strongly believe that while this design looks more professional than the original, the Lookout Games redesign currently in the works will blow both existing graphic designs out of the water.

And since an official redesgn is already in the works, I cannot believe that there is a chance that this design will ever get officially approved / licensed, since - even if it's not directly included in their contract - Cambridge Games will likely not want to piss off Lookout Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
ashman wrote:
In reality, although only the cover has been shown yet, I strongly believe that while this design looks more professional than the original, the Lookout Games redesign currently in the works will blow both existing graphic designs out of the water.
There are also card art samples in the gallery (although no full card designs). Based on what I've seen, the Lookout art looks great by itself, but I am concerned it's too busy from a functional standpoint. I much prefer the clean iconography of Heiko's design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork is the only thing keeping me from buying the original. I don't think these new graphics are great, but they don't make me turn away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what the game is I think GtR's original artwork is fun. This looks bloody boring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
There are also card art samples in the gallery (although no full card designs). Based on what I've seen, the Lookout art looks great by itself, but I am concerned it's too busy from a functional standpoint. I much prefer the clean iconography of Heiko's design.

Have we seen Lookout previews? I only remember seeing previews of the Polish edition, which is a different publisher altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This is great work. I currently play GtR with redesigned artwork, but this one is the best I've seen. It would be much easier for me to get this played with a copy like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
pastabatman wrote:

Have we seen Lookout previews? I only remember seeing previews of the Polish edition, which is a different publisher altogether.

Since the cover of the Spanish Edition looks _very_ Agricola/Le Havre etc. style I assume that the reprints all use the same graphics, but I could be mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
While the artwork on GtR is pretty silly (for the record, its one of my highest rated games despite this, so save your criticisms), a GMT-esqe reskin it the farthest from what I'm looking for.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Shots fired!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
ashman wrote:
Dormammu wrote:
pastabatman wrote:

Since the cover of the Spanish Edition looks _very_ Agricola/Le Havre etc. style I assume that the reprints all use the same graphics, but I could be mistaken.

Below are the Polish edition art samples. Here is a comment in January regarding their usage in the Lookout edtion:
Hanno wrote:
As you can see, the Homoludicus and Lookout editions will most likely use the very fine artwork from Boat City, our Polish friends who'll be doing the Polish edition. We're in the final rounds of negotiations, and you can probably see the next-to-final box at Nürnberg Toy Fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The images at the top of this thread are excellent. First thing that struck me is how much they remind me of Innovation. Functional and handsome. I'd certainly buy a copy (and pay a premium for it).

pastabatman wrote:
Below are the Polish edition art samples.

Those are okay. Better than the original. But I like the ones at the top of this thread best.

I haven't bought a copy of the original because the goofy artwork turns me off. I just don't go for goofy artwork unless it's a light/goofy game. And Glory to Rome isn't a light/goofy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Possibly the most useful picture would be a bunch of cards scattered in the pool. I think t his would be the weakness of this design (and several others). It is pretty to look at though.

The times I've played we've sorted and stacked all the cards in the pool by color, so it's easy to see what is there and how many.

Surely you don't just throw them into the middle of the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the game and enjoy it.

I would love love love love love the Asterix version that someone on here made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the game and while the new graphics look clear enough I would not buy it again just for better art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The silly art really turned me off of the game. I like the sparse functional proposed art.

Isn't his new game going to be a repurposed version of GtR...with dinosaurs? I might just wait for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really great but I don't mind the original and I think that it looses a bit of functionality with this redesign (not enough colour!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoyN
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
I once met a native of this island and asked him, "Does 'Bal' mean yes?" He replied, "Bal."
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked the last option because I really like the Polish art and would hope to get a copy of the game with that art instead.

This is just based on the art, not its functionality; I haven't played the game, and anyway I think we've only seen the base artwork, not the cards, for the Polish edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pressley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
If the OP redesign had been available before I bought the original, I would have chosen the redesign. But I admit I'm not blown away enough to consider re-buying if it were available. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty impressed by it, just not enough to shell out more money.

And I'm not a huge fan of the art on either the original nor the Polish edition. Both are too cartoony for my taste. (But it's all a moot point because I love the original game I have anyway, silly art or not!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For me the original art was off putting at first, but it really grows on you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The original is simply way to colorful for me. I will play with people who already own it but will not get it myself.

The proposed graphic design is very much more to my taste, but it does not really evoke, for me, a Roman 'feeling'.

If I had to choose, it would be the Polish art that pastabatman showed us a few posts above mine.

Edit: double up on o in choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.