Subject: POLL: Would you buy this re-design of Glory To Rome? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Moser-Fürst
Austria
Krems
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i like this design a lot and would buy one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
As of 5/13/11, 251 people have responded. Of respondents who refuse to buy the original GtR, 77% would buy this redesign. This is not surprising, given the amount of griping around here regarding the original art. But, among respondents who already own the original, a whopping 41% would shell out again. I'm sure CGF already has its mind made up about the future of GtR, but perhaps this tiny straw poll will give them some food for thought.

Edit: Updated to reflect latest results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own this game even though I imagine I would find the playing of it to be very enjoyable. I don't own it precisely due to the artwork (I'm very selective when it comes to artwork in games). And now that I see what the game could look like (which is absolutely beautiful), it pains me (note, the Polish artwork leaves me colder than the original artwork).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mad Hatter
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy just about ANY re-design of the cards for Glory to Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dayton
NV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why can't they put it in a box like the Spanish & Polish editions, with cards like the Polish cards?

As many good things as I've heard about this game, I just can't bring myself to hand over money for the ugliest game in the ugliest packaging I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joedogboy wrote:
Why can't they put it in a box like the Spanish & Polish editions, with cards like the Polish cards?

As many good things as I've heard about this game, I just can't bring myself to hand over money for the ugliest game in the ugliest packaging I've seen.

Just get the Spanish, German, Hungarian or Polish version.
Make paste-ups, or include an English cheat sheet with translations of the buildings until you're fluent in recognizing the names of the cards.
And enjoy the foreign sound of the names. Makes you feel like being in Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably because of the stark colors and eagle imagery I thought for a few moments that this was a retheme, changing the roman empire to the third reich. Got a bit excited over it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destroyer of Islands
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Am I the only one who finds this version worse than the original? The silly art never bothered me, and I like having the backgrounds of the cards in colour, rather than the pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
queenc wrote:
Wow. Am I the only one who finds this version worse than the original? The silly art never bothered me, and I like having the backgrounds of the cards in colour, rather than the pictures.

Prolly one of the few
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
queenc wrote:
Wow. Am I the only one who finds this version worse than the original?
Nope.
queenc wrote:
The silly art never bothered me, and I like having the backgrounds of the cards in colour, rather than the pictures.
+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
queenc wrote:
Nope. Those of us who prefer game components which communicate their purpose have always appreciated the original look of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing keeping me from playing this (it's sat on my shelf unplayed for almost a year) is the art. It looks absolutely horrendous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
The only thing keeping me from playing this (it's sat on my shelf unplayed for almost a year) is the art. It looks absolutely horrendous.

Yeah, I almost bought the game once and then realized that even if I could get past the visuals (unlikely), I doubt I could convince anyone to actually play the game with me (due to said visuals).

I asked my partner what they thought of the various "options" (someone who plays game with me but doesn't read this site nor play games without me all that often), and they said that they all look cluttered, but that the minimalist one was the most appealing.

Which makes sense, each card has a lot of information on it, wouldn't you want each card to be as legible as possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:

Which makes sense, each card has a lot of information on it, wouldn't you want each card to be as legible as possible?

Not exactly, no. The bulk of text are reminders which you quickly ignore, looking only at the colour of the cards. The box of descriptive text is all that's left.

Most of these redesigns do lovely art, nicer fonts, more subtle shading cues, and end up removing the option to simple ignore the vast majority of text while in play and use the colours instead.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The work you did is very nice, but I think taking away the background colors would hinder me. I like to be able to glance across the table and see which clients, etc my opponents have. The full bleed backgrounds make that very easy.

While I appreciate people's efforts to create new graphics I don't really understand the inability to play with the original. It's like turning down the free yellow Corvette because you really wanted the red one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frantic Ferret wrote:
While I appreciate people's efforts to create new graphics I don't really understand the inability to play with the original. It's like turning down the free yellow Corvette because you really wanted the red one.

That's funny. But since the cards actually affect the usability of the product, I think your simile is flawed (also no one is giving away Glory to Rome for free here, I'd have to pay for it). But even if it wasn't, if I can get the free red corvette elsewhere, why would I take the free yellow unusable (for me) one from the first dealer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Frith
United Kingdom
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The current artwork doesn’t hinder the game’s playability whatsoever for me, but I’m of the opinion that having a more coherent one might help with sales for any future edition.

Most people like at least a semblance of the same style on their products, whether it be minimalist like Dominant Species or precise artwork like 7 Wonders. The frustrating thing with GtR from a purely aesthetic point of view is the execrable pictures such as the Palace and the Circus Maximus. Those are shocking, like they’ve been drawn with someone usin MS Paint for the first time. When I played Magic with friends, we would sometimes even refrain from putting some of the badly drawn cards in our decks because they looked so terrible (I’m looking at you Rock Hydra!).

I would personally prefer a mix of thematic symbols and the amusing Asterix-style cartoon characters that someone else recently mocked up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Frantic Ferret wrote:
While I appreciate people's efforts to create new graphics I don't really understand the inability to play with the original. It's like turning down the free yellow Corvette because you really wanted the red one. :)

That's funny. But since the cards actually affect the usability of the product, I think your simile is flawed (also no one is giving away Glory to Rome for free here, I'd have to pay for it). But even if it wasn't, if I can get the free red corvette elsewhere, why would I take the free yellow unusable (for me) one from the first dealer?

But it turns out the red one, despite being everyone's favourite colour, lacks a steering wheel. The yellow one, in fact, is perfectly functional in every way. Oddly enough, people come by claiming that they couldn't possibly drive a yellow car, and how dare the publisher victimise them personally by providing a working yellow car rather than a hypothetical red one which didn't actually work.

It gets pretty tired, actually. You should have a car to drive, not to be a particular color, and a corvette (poetic licence), like GtR actually drives really nicely, so complaining about colour seems frankly, churlish.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
But it turns out the red one, despite being everyone's favourite colour, lacks a steering wheel. The yellow one, in fact, is perfectly functional in every way. Oddly enough, people come by claiming that they couldn't possibly drive a yellow car, and how dare the publisher victimise them personally by providing a working yellow car rather than a hypothetical red one which didn't actually work.

It gets pretty tired, actually. You should have a car to drive, not to be a particular color, and a corvette (poetic licence), like GtR actually drives really nicely, so complaining about colour seems frankly, churlish.

I am not victimised by the publisher not changing their art style. I don't think they ever will either, I suspect it's their attempt at branding.

If it was just colour, that would be one thing, but it isn't, it's a question of usability (and also the drawings, but not because they are ugly, I can play ugly games).

And even if you believe that I should be happy to play this version and that no version could be better, it doesn't alter that for me, the Cambridge games version is unplayable. And no matter how much you argue and make similes about missing steering wheels, it won't make the Cambridge edition of GtR any more playable for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy a rerelease not only for new art but for a better box, better components, and most importantly better card quality.

The original art isn't so much "bad" as it's busy. I wish the cards placed a better emphasis on the text, not on the goofy art.

The components should be better, including the player mats, the cards, and the box itself. I would buy the reprint for a better box alone.

Yeah yeah, I know people say that the box and the art are "charming" and that you get what you pay for, but I love the game so much that I'm willing to invest in a higher-quality, longer-lasting version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never said no version could be better, but I'm curious why the assert that the CGF version is 'unplayable'? Do you have some genuine reason or are you simply hand-wringing over the clipart?

As I go out of my way to find interesting games, and often end up with somewhat spartan small-press productions which nonetheless have astonishingly great gameplay, I find it difficult to comprehend how people are unmoved by great gameplay and choose their games based on some prettiness metric.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
I've never said no version could be better, but I'm curious why the assert that the CGF version is 'unplayable'? Do you have some genuine reason or are you simply hand-wringing over the clipart?

As I go out of my way to find interesting games, and often end up with somewhat spartan small-press productions which nonetheless have astonishingly great gameplay, I find it difficult to comprehend how people are unmoved by great gameplay and choose their games based on some prettiness metric.

B>
I refuse to play TtR because I think trains are stupid.

I can't speak for the person who your post is directed toward, but IMO the "you need to open your mind and experience all types of games!" argument is just as much a fatally-flawed way of thinking as dismissing a game based on its visuals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:

Uh, I have in my very very small collection of like 35 commercial base games: Flash Point (by the Game Crafter), first edition Haggis, a Go game I bought for 3 bucks at a thrift shop, and Zen Blocks (a game by Family Pastimes).

I hardly think I'm using a prettiness metric to determine game value.

Heck, Utopian Rummy uses clipart (like, for real) and I consider it to be aesthetically more pleasing than the majority of commercial games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:

I refuse to play TtR because I think trains are stupid. :p
ttr has nothing to do with trains
Quote:

I can't speak for the person who your post is directed toward, but IMO the "you need to open your mind and experience all types of games!" argument is just as much a fatally-flawed way of thinking as dismissing a game based on its visuals.
You misrepresent my argument. Not all types of games, all interesting games. Define interesting how you like, but don't confuse the game with its wrapper. interesting games are hard to find, you can't afford to ignore them over trivialities.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Aurendrosl wrote:

I refuse to play TtR because I think trains are stupid.
ttr has nothing to do with trains
Quote:

You misrepresent my argument. Not all types of games, all interesting games. Define interesting how you like, but don't confuse the game with its wrapper. interesting games are hard to find, you can't afford to ignore them over trivialities.

B>
Visual fatigue ISN'T a triviality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |