Paul Pressley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
philreh wrote:
Frantic Ferret wrote:
philreh wrote:
Adding Asterix artwork to Glory to Rome would make it both an instant buy and a family game -- my kids LOVE Asterix!

Wouldn't the game then have to be about the sacking of Rome?

Nah, Asterix and Obelix have sort of a "peaceful co-existence" with the Romans in the later books that is punctuated by frenzied fights. One of the running gags is the number of times Asterix talks to Caesar in an almost "sibling rivalry" tone. Wouldn't be hard to integrate into a game about Roman building, thematically.

Revealing my ignorance here... I'm aware of the Asterix comics, but haven't actually read them. Aren't Asterix and Obelix Gauls during the time of Julius Caesar? I've always been under the impression that they're simultaneously resisting Roman rule but also caught in the process of Romanisation. Building Roman Gaul would fit the game nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Turri
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although more aesthetically pleasing, I think I prefer the original.

I always thought the cards were sturdy, the mats ok, and the poker chips pretty nice... The only thing I really dislike about GtR is the plastic clamshell and the tuckboxes. On my shelf, all the junk is in the clamshell, and all the sleeved cards sit right next to it.

*buys the "I like the art in glory to rome just fine" microbadge*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I would. It's a nice and original game, and I'ld buy it in a heartbeat if it didn't have seizure-inducing artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackRainbow wrote:
Although more aesthetically pleasing, I think I prefer the original.

I always thought the cards were sturdy, the mats ok, and the poker chips pretty nice... The only thing I really dislike about GtR is the plastic clamshell and the tuckboxes. On my shelf, all the junk is in the clamshell, and all the sleeved cards sit right next to it.

*buys the "I like the art in glory to rome just fine" microbadge*

I owned an original edition in the crazy hard plastic box. The clamshell is better.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dayton
NV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frantic Ferret wrote:
I don't really understand the inability to play with the original. It's like turning down the free yellow Corvette because you really wanted the red one.

Actually, it's more like not buying a car that has feces smeared all over the upholstery and waiting for a car that you actually want to drive to become available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
"Uses train in title" means "about trains". Fascinating.

No. Uses trains in theme means about trains. Whether you like the game has nothing to do with the subject.

I totally agree... afterall, ALL games can have it's theme changed to something else.

Except for Dune... NEVER for Dune! *

In my strange random contemplations of making overly sensitive BBGers heads all explodey, I wish that the Dune reprint would come about, and the GtR artist would be the one doing all of the new artwork for it. Yeah, imagine the collection of crying and whining over THAT.

* for those who do not know, I am, of course, kidding / being sarcastic - while I do admit the Dune theme to be well suited to the game mechanics, I have also continually made fun of people that can't wrap their heads around the possibility of a re-theming of the Dune game and who have continually complained from day 1 of FFG acquiring the mechanics license - my user icon and geekbadge is a nod to that as well - also to point out too, I do like the original GtR artwork, and this redesign as well, and also wish I could get an English version of the Polish release, (and would LOVE a Star Wars one, but that'll never happen)... but I tend to be pretty flexible on this sort of thing - good games are good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
This redesign is beautiful. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. As it is, I'll never buy the currently, craptastic version, no matter how practical it is. It's also embarrassing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
This redesign is beautiful. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. As it is, I'll never buy the currently, craptastic version, no matter how practical it is. It's also embarrassing.

I must ask. What do you do with the games you buy?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:
For what the game is I think GtR's original artwork is fun. This looks bloody boring!

Agreed, this looks dry and uninteresting.

Is the original the best artwork? Depends if you want the Mona Lisa as your doorstep mat... It's colors are clearly seen across the table and all facets of the cards are easily viewed and read.

the bright colors of the game are not a mistake, it's brilliance!!!
In a world of EARTH colors (which I like, btw) this game cannot be played with earth colors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:

I'd like to buy an English version with this artwork, even though I already own the latest edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdoherty wrote:
pastabatman wrote:

I'd like to buy an English version with this artwork, even though I already own the latest edition.

Yes this is the version that is needed in ENGLISH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ser Renely
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I just bought Version IV, so I would not buy a new version. I do like the polish art version the best mind you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Time to put your money where your mouth is! If you really want an authorized version of Glory to Rome with Heiko's art, here's your chance!

Also, my heart-felt congratulations to Heiko as the new Creative Director of Cambridge Games Factory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That art is worse than the original, IMO. NO sale. I want the Polish art...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like the new art (much better than the original) but would still prefer the Polish version in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |