Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Winners!

3rd Place: The Lord of the Rings: The Adventure Deck Card Game by Michele Esmanech
2nd Place: Shadows Upon Lassadar by Todd Sanders
1st Place: Inspector Moss 2: House Arrest by Rebekah Bissell and Jonathan Warren

Special Prizes!

Best Wargame: 50 GG from chansen2794 - Raider 16 - Atlantis by by Bruce Mansfield
Best Horror/Zombie/Monster Game: 50 GG from chansen2794 - Shadows Upon Lassadar by Todd Sanders
Best AI/Game System: 50 GG from chansen2794 - Shadows Upon Lassadar by Todd Sanders
Best art work: 50 GG from chansen2794 - Shadows Upon Lassadar by Todd Sanders
Best Wargame: 25 GG from teufen - Raider 16 - Atlantis by by Bruce Mansfield
Best Zombie Game: 100 GG and a package of card sleeves from mcookman65 - Zed Force by Chris Fee
Best Sci-Fi Themed Game: 50 GG from ZarqEon - 8-Bit Invaders by William Retert
Most Compact Game: 100 GG from dumarest123 - The Lord of the Rings: The Adventure Deck Card Game by Michele Esmanech

More information on the winners, voting, and the prizes can be found in this post
Winners of the Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

Game Reviews!
I have set a goal to review each game that was entered in this contest that has a BGG game page. Please subscribe to the geeklist to see reviews as they come out.
The 2011 Print and Play Solitaire Contest Reviews

Contest Follow Up
Please consider tipping the designers of games that you enjoyed. Everyone who entered the contest worked very hard and created something that has made the world of solitaire gaming a little bit better. Also, please write reviews, session reports, or even just rate and comment on the games you played from this contest. I know the designers will appreciate it and it will help introduce the wider BGG audience to these excellent games!

I've posted a short survey with some questions about this contest. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a few minutes to answer the questions and provide any other feedback you have. You can answer on that thread or send me a geekmail.

Solitaire Print and Play Contest Follow Up

Note to the designers

Designers, please consider adding your games to the BGG database, if you haven't already done so. This will make your game easier to find and expose it to more players. I will be writing a review of every game that was entered into the contest on it's BGG page.

Contest Rules and Information
The contest is now in the crafting and voting phase! Please print the games from the entry list or use the Vassal Modules to try them out. I'd like to give a huge thank you to Chad Mestdagh for his incredible efforts at creating the Vassal Modules for the games in this contest, in addition to his game entries.

Important Dates
Entry Deadline: July 31st 2011
Voting Deadline: Sept 5th 2011

Voting
There will be a full month available for participants to play the games. No changes to the rules or components are allowed during this time. (If the designer does keep working on the game, please keep the entry version available and clearly indicate that it is the eligible version.) The voting deadline is (Midnight Mountain Standard Time) on Sept 5th. Players may either print and assemble the games or use any electronic modules provided (such as Vassal).

Voting will be done by geekmailing me your list of top five games in order. Each rank will be worth a certain amount of points. I will total the points that each game receives to determine the winner.

In addition to voting for your favorite games, please provide a brief comment on the games you played. I will gather all comments and deliver them to the games' designers at the end of the contest. I will make the comments anonymous unless you request otherwise. Negative comments should be kept to a "professional" level of criticism. I will not forward any comments that are mean-spirited or don't provide meaningful feedback. Comments such as "This game sucks!" are not appropriate. Please give the sort of feedback that you would like to receive.

Prizes
General Prizes
The prize pool is made up of geekgold from several sources:
Prize from me: 200 GG
Tips to this thread: 627 GG (Tips Undesignated or Designated as General Prize Pool)
Tips to June GfG Auction Item: 139 GG
Tips to July GfG Auction Item: 516 GG
Current Prize Pot = 1,482 - Thanks to everyone who has tipped this thread!

The general prize pot will be divided up among 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes using a 4:2:1 ratio. The final prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are 847, 423, and 212.

Other Prizes
These prizes will be given based on the determination of the person offering the prize. They won't be awarded through voting. Anyone who wants to offer a special award is welcome to do so. This could be a graphic redesign, a geekgold award for a specific theme, or a professional build. I think that the only thing that wouldn't be appropriate for this contest is an award for best game that can be played multiplayer. A game can win more than one prize (i.e. the first place game may win best Game System and Zombie game, etc). As other people contribute prizes for special categories, I will add them to the list.

Special Prizes
Best Wargame: 50 GG from me
Best Horror/Zombie/Monster Game: 50 GG from me
Best AI/Game System: 50 GG from me
Best art work: 50 GG from me
Best Wargame: 25 GG from teufen
Best Zombie Game: 100 GG and a package of card sleeves from mcookman65 in honor of 100 days achieved in his 365ZED project.
Best Sci-Fi Themed Game: 50 GG from ZarqEon
Most Compact Game: 100 GG from dumarest123) Todd’s note for this prize: "I tend to play a lot of games late at night while sitting up in bed so this would be a game I can play comfortably on a bedside tray or small space (something that plays on space about the size of a magazine)."

Entries List

The entries are in the order that they were added to the list. I've taken the game description from the WIP Threads or game descriptions. If the designers would like them modified, please let me know.

Nate Downs has taken the time to make a geeklist of all of the games entered into the contest that have an entry in BGG. This is not a complete list as several of the games do not have a BGG entry yet, but it is still a great list!
Solitaire Print and Play Contest

Them! by Nathan Downs
WIP Thread
Them! is a solo horror board game where a player will be on the run from a horrible creature, only hoping to survive until sunrise. With 20 minutes left to survive a player will need to plan an efficient escape route through the forest.

Flipping Out: The House Remodel Game by Nathan Downs
WIP Thread
Based on the theory of restoring houses quickly, and for profit, the game of flipping out combines worker placement mechanics with the unpredictable nature of the business of flipping houses.

Bibliogamo by Todd Sanders
WIP Thread
Vassal Module by Chad Mestdagh
In this game you will play the role of a publisher in the city of Bibliogamo. Using cards to hire artisans you will put them to work in 6 city tower workshops, each devoted to a different kind of book. An AI, representing the Chief Librarian of the City, will in turn tour the city buying books at what he considers their proper value. Prestige Collection cards will used in the game to generate additional VP depending on how well you can full the requirements of the Chief Librarian's collection.

Shadows Upon Lassadar by Todd Sanders
WIP Thread
Shadows Over Lassadar is a solitaire fantasy quest game. In this game you will play a young magic adept who has been charged with finding three lost keys to lock gates and prevent the Grayking from reaching the world of Lassadar. Three specific cards in the game lead to expanded hex map battle sites where you fight the Grayking's servants for possession of the keys.

Welcome to Slothe & Haversham by Damien Wyse
WIP Thread
Slothe & Haversham is a fictional English country borough. The player must enter the large public park in an attempt to solve a mystery. In this mini version, a relative has gone missing. The path has led to the gates of Slothe & Haversham Park and so the player must venture inwards also. The forest's denizens love visitors. So much so that few are ever permitted to leave...

Sunburst City Transport by Chad Mestdagh
WIP Thread
Gameplay: The player is trying to gather enough cash to save his dad's trucking business in a 55 turns. Each turn, the player moves his truck and purchases and delivers goods. He may upgrade his business throughout the game. There are also eight big events that will affect the course of the game.

Dusty’s Grand Day Out (a kitty dungeon crawler) by sweetgotham
WIP Thread
After several agonizing seconds plotting by the front door as his owners turn the key, Dusty has finally escape the confines of his NYC apartment. What wonders will he uncover in the vast unknown that awaits him in the halls as he explores? Reach the building’s front exit before the owners catch you and you win your freedom!

Dice in Trench Warfare (formerly titles Loos Dice) by Pelle Nilsson
WIP Thread
Vassal Module by Pelle Nilsson
This is intended to be a wargame. It is somewhat abstract, but based on the kind of war going on in Western France around 1915-16, with the player controlling the four companies of a battalion attempting to push through through enemy lines.

Derelicts of Sin: Heresy by E. Nate Kurth and Joe Mucchiello
WIP Thread
Heresy, involves the protagonist, Kyle Mason, exploring one of the Derelicts of Sin in an attempt to survive. His ship was destroyed by sabotage, and by sheer luck, he was able to reach the Wreckage, a Cursed zone declared off-limits by the Theocratic Council. As Kyle explores the Heresy, he learns more about what happened to the ship, and must face the fact that the Council is not the holy governing body it purports to be.

Space Gunman by Stephen Huxman
WIP Thread
The player controls a Space Gunman exploring a derelict Station. The game is broken into 3 missions, in the first you must locate the Security Room to shut down the Robots that are attacking you. In the second mission the player must locate a bomb and plant it in an Alien Egg room before making their escape in the 3rd. Ghost Ship is designed to be played solo.

Rallytaire by Almarr Ormarsson
WIP Thread
Rallytaire is a paper and pencil rally game for one player. You have to plan ahead and adapt to the track and sometimes push your luck a bit. It has mechanics similar to Formula D but using only six sided dice and corners are also handled differently. Drift through those corners and beat the track record.

Inspector Moss 2: House Arrest by Rebekah Bissell and Jonathan Warren
WIP Thread
Vassal Module by Chad Mestdagh and Jonathan Warren
In the game, you will play as Inspector Moss, who is trying to identify a murderer by eliminating all of the innocent parties, and then arrest him/her. During the game, you'll explore a 25-room house, consisting of tiles. On each tile, you will find either a suspect, evidence that can be used to eliminate suspects, or something to assist you in solving the case in time. Several dice are used for movement and collecting evidence and assistance, but not using a typical roll-and-move mechanic.

Thermopylae Solo by Aleksandar Saranac
WIP Thread
Thermopylae is a print and play solo wargame representing stand of Ancient Greek soldiers against Persian invasion. In this game you will take the role of 300 Spartans who took their last stand at Thermopylae Pass to protect retreat of the main body of Greek army. Game can be played by using given board and counters, but if the player wishes, it can be played with miniatures on the game board, or even with chess figures on chess table (this might be a good way to find a new use for your miniature magnetic chess set while on the road).

Coin Rail Yard by Christopher Clouser
WIP Thread
Cyberboard Gamebox by Christopher Clouser
Vassal Module by Christopher Clouser
The game takes place in a rail yard where the player assumes the duties of the yardmaster. Trains will arrive and depart during the course of a scenario. The player will operate the locomotives and move the rail cars. The object of the game is to complete a scenario in the fewest number of moves. There is a small amount of randomness throughout the game, as well as some decisions to make at the beginning. A scenario need not play out exactly the same way the second time through due to those factors.

The Haunted Fortress by Mitchell Morris and Mike Bonet
WIP Thread
Play the game online
The Haunted Fortress is a game designed to be played by one player. It starts you as The Knight trapped in a haunted fortress controlled by The Evil Wizard and his ghost minions. You must search the fortress for the 4 magic keys and the magic portal which they open. Your only chance at survival is escape!

Zed Force by Chris Fee
WIP Thread
Zed Force is a hex-and-chit game with an element of resource management. Hordes of zombies are coming to one of the survivor settlements. The military has to hold them off while the engineers complete the wall around the settlement. You have to decide how to spend your limited resources (bringing in reinforcements, training to deal with this new enemy, build the wall, call in air strikes and artillery support) while the army of the undead marches towards you.

Horror Island by David Mitchell (II)
WIP Thread
This board game recreates the feel of a Horror Movie: as characters start exploring the island they become in-danger (but they must move out of the safety of the Village in order to survive). As they die others start to become aware that something is going on and go to investigate. In the first phase of the game you must travel the island and gather clues as to what is going on. After you have found enough evidence your path forward becomes apparent and you must spring into action to accomplish the Goal to survive the island. If the sun sets, or everyone has died the game is over and the horror lives on and waits for the next victims.

The Lord of the Rings: The Adventure Deck Card Game by Michele Esmanech
WIP Thread
Vassal Mod by Chad Mestdagh
The deck is composed of 60 cards, and each is a crossroads, where you'll have to go to a direction (up, left, right).
In some cases, you'll also meet people, or places that give you possibilities or choices. Consider the card as a crossroad: therefore you are given choices on where to travel (up, left and/or right).
The Directions show numbers (which range from 1 to 5) and show how many cards need to be drawn, in order to proceed with the quest. Each card shows an aggression number (ranging from 0 to 3) which represents the attacks you have received, while travelling.
Sum the aggression numbers of each card you draw to get an Attack value which represents the amount of wounds you have sustained this turn. At any time, if the total attack value is higher than Frodo's wounds, the player immediately loses the game.

Farming Dice by Chad Mestdagh
WIP Thread
Players roll dice each turn and use those dice to either plant food, buy cows, or sell their goods. As the game goes on, they will possibly gain more dice and be able to do more actions. After 15 turns, the game ends and they count up their total cash. They will win or lose based on how much cash they made.

Enki-Des: The Soul Gates by E. Nate Kurth
WIP Thread
The game is about the afterlife of a fantasy warrior-nation called the Ukri. When an Ukri dies, he or she must battle through a series of seven Soul Gates known as the Enki-Des. Each Enki-Des has a unique guardian that must be defeated. The guardian of the seventh Enki-Des, Enko-Rochimga, cannot be defeated in physical combat. Instead, the Ukri must present his or her Enko-ori, or essence pearl, to prove him- or herself worthy of entering Furrma, or paradise.

Touchstone: Oubliette by John Paul Messerly
WIP Thread
Touchstone is a violent sport played by fantasy races. In Touchstone Oubliette the game has moved from the sunny stadiums of the Braying Fields to an underground dungeon where the walls are constantly shifting and dancing around the players in an attempt to trap and crush them.

Override by Matt Loomis
WIP Thread
In Override, you play the role of a computer hacker who has just discovered the intent of an evil Ellingson plot to destroy the world and you're the only one that can stop them. You will have to traverse your way through the Gibson security system, picking up data keys along the way to allow you bypass or unlock the security measures so you can stop Ellingson's evil plan.

Queens of Fate by Anthony D. Juarez
WIP Thread
You are a modern day shaman and supernatural champion. Waging your secret war against dark forces intent on reshaping the universe, you also face off against destiny in the wake of an uncertain prophecy that foretells destruction but gives the promise of hope. Across the world, the infant Queens of Fate are being reincarnated into the world. Can you find them before the dark powers get to them?

The Terrible 20 by Aleksandar Saranac
WIP Thread
The Terrible 20 is a print and play dice allocation game. To play it, you will need 2 D20 sets with percentage dice removed (or one set and 12 counters to mark which dices are used), playing mat and set of 20 cards representing monsters. 6 additional counters are needed to mark actions that are used up.

ZAP 'EM (Zombie Attack Prevention and Extermination Machine) by Cyrus the Great
WIP Thread
In the game, you play the inventor and creator of the ZAP 'EM, and move around the modular board killing zombies. If you kill zombies in someone's backyard, maybe they will give you some cash, which you can spend to buy upgrades. Unfortunately, as the zombies move and spawn, they start killing off the townspeople. Can you kill off all the zombies before the entire city is destroyed?

Raider 16 - Atlantis by Bruce Mansfield
WIP Thread
Vassal Module by Bruce Mansfield
In Raider 16 - Atlantis, you are the commander of a German merchant raider in WWII. You hunt the South Atlantic and Indian Oceans for Allied shipping while avoiding the deadly attention of the Royal Navy. Cracking the British and Allied Merchant Ships (BAMS) code will help you identify possible targets as you prepare to stop, board, and sink your prey. Make the best use of an array of tactical options, including search planes, radio jamming and deception, S-boats, prize crews, and others.

8-Bit Invaders by William Retert
WIP Thread
In 8-Bit Invaders, you are defending your home planet from an onslaught of alien invaders. Each turn, you roll six dice and use them to attack the advancing horde; then the aliens march inexorably forward. If you can kill all of the invaders before they land, you win; otherwise, you die.

Slimes of D by Jack Darwid
WIP Thread
While waiting the Heroes to find the Amulet of D'eugor, the Black Knight sends a special forces just to destroy the Stone of D. The Stone of D is hidden in a small cave in the deep of the mountain in the north, guarded by it's special guardians, the Mage of D. To buy the time, the Mage of D cast a very strong defensive spell to clear all nearby Areas from the dark force. For a while, the Black Knight's forces are held back, but then they find one creature that can go through the defensive spell: the slimes ! As the slimes are approaching, the Mage of D must use the power of Fire, Earth, Water and Air to protect the Stone of D !!

Temple of the Feathered Serpent by Cate108
WIP Thread
Many intrepid adventurers have explored the jungle searching for the fabled and mysterious Temple of the Feathered Serpent. Some brave souls, such as yourself, have even found it and entered, lured by the soft-whispered promise of great treasure. None have plundered its ever-changing hallways and escaped to tell the tale. Will you be the first?

Crunglecheese by Daniel Dean
WIP Thread
In Crunglecheese, the player controls a team of 4 'Crungleteers' as they attempt to eat their way through a rampantly growing wall of Crunlgecheese, a culinary abomination of some kind, in order to reach and repair six failing machines buried deep in a network of caves before they explode.

Deck Siege by Michael Haverty
No WIP Thread Yet but files available on game page.
A solitaire print-and-play siege/defense game. Using just a standard deck of playing cards and a record sheet, the player defends a city against a stream of attackers, trying to hold out until the deck is exhausted, at which time a score may be figured based on how well the city survived.

Rise of the Raj by Andrew Kluck
WIP Thread
Rise of the Raj is a light-to-medium complexity game for one player based on the exploits of the British East India Company in India starting from their foundation in 1600 until their dissolution in 1858 following the Indian Mutiny. Through 250 years of history the player takes the role of the Governor-General and is tasked with establishing a trade empire in India. The game system uses a limited number of cards and chit-pull mechanic to create the turmoil that existed historically on the sub-continent, but although the parameters are historical the diplomatic, economic and strategic landscape will change drastically from game to game. The challenge is make sure the shareholders see a return on their investment, come what may.

Total Entries: 32

Please contact me if I have missed any games or have inaccurate information in any of the entries listed.

Contest Rules
Game Play
This contest should be purpose-designed solitaire play games. Multi-player options are allowed but the primary focus of the game should be for solo play. A good example is something like B-17, which has a two player option, but was designed to be enjoyed by one.

The games should have a decision tree or a way for players to react to the randomness. Games should not be decided (won or lost) regardless of player action (ala Klondike). Also, games should not be two-player games in which the player must play both sides (ala A Victory Lost).

Components
Other than solitaire play, there are no specific design qualifications for this contest. The game mechanics, theme, and amount of randomness are left to the discretion of the game designers. There is no minimum or maximum limit on the number of components or rule length. Designers should be aware that larger games may be built and played by less people and therefore may not receive as many votes as games with smaller and quicker builds.

All games must be printable on regular A4/American Letter Paper. Large format maps and boards are okay as well so long as they can also be printed on A4/Letter paper. (For example, if a designer made a board that was designed to be printed on A3/11x17 paper, they should also provide an alternative where it can be printed on two sheets of A4/Letter paper.) Here is a useful document for determining the margin size of sheets designed to be printed on either A4 or Letter paper.

Designers are free to design whatever components work for their game. If designers want to make games that are Artscow ready or designed to be printed on perforated business cards, etc they are welcome to do so, provided that the game is also printable on regular A4/American Letter paper.

Circle, hexagonal, and other shaped pieces are allowed. If you are going to create games with difficult to cut pieces, please be aware that not everyone has a good tool to craft these and consider using squares if possible.

Designers can require that players provide a reasonable number of cubes, dice, etc.

Game Design
The games entered in the contest should be new. To be eligible for this contest, a game cannot have been entered in a previous contest and it can't have a WIP thread/game entry on BGG prior to April 1st, 2011.

Team design work is allowed for this contest. You can have multiple people working on a single game as designers, artists, etc.

Designers may submit multiple games to the contest.

Designers may plan on selling their game when the contest is done, so long as it is freely available as PNP during the the contest.

Game Submission
Games entered in this contest should have a WIP Thread entered in the Design Contest Forum, the Board Game Design Forum, BGG Blog, or an Entry on the BGG Game Page (assuming the game has been submitted to the database). The first post of this WIP thread should contain the following:
A link to this thread
A two or three sentence Game Summary
An image of the game
Description of Components
Playing Time
Links to the game. Rules and components should be in pdf or 300dpi JPEG (pdf is preferred). The files can be hosted on your own webserver, Google Docs, Drop Box, or in your personal BGG image gallery.
All of the above information will be used in the entry thread. Any other info is at the designer's discretion. Please keep the first post in your WIP thread updated with current links and information about the game.

To enter a game in the contest, please post to this thread or email me directly with a link to your WIP thread. I will be maintaining an official Entry Thread.

Example WIP Thread
Quote:
WIP Thread for Electric Boogaloo Solo
Designed for the Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

In Electric Boogaloo Solo, you are a dancer hoping to win the Electric Boogaloo Dance Off. You'll battle your way through five elimination rounds using cards to make dance move combinations. Hand management is key if you want to defeat the reigning king of Electric Boogaloo in the finals!

Electric Boogaloo Solo contains 60 Dance Cards, 10 Dance Master Chits, and 10 Dance Challenge Scenario Cards. Players must provide their own rhinestones. The game plays in under 30 minutes.

Download links:
Rules
Game Components
Low Ink Version

Recommendations (Not Required)
Games should have a Low Ink alternative so people can try them without using too much printer ink. This could be a version without graphics or a greyscale version.

Games should be as easy to assemble as possible. Designers should be aware that larger and hard-to-build games may be built and played by less people and therefore may not receive as many votes as games with smaller and quicker builds.

If the designer knows how to build Vassal mods, it might be nice to provide one for the game so people can try it without the cost of ink and build time. This could help more people try more games - especially if the game is larger. To be clear, building a vassal mod is not a requirement for entering the contest.

Note: I will continue to edit this entry with updates as suggested by the discussion.

If there is enough interest, I may try to make this contest an annual event.

Other Games

The following games were entered in the contest but were either withdrawn by the designer or were not completed in time for the deadline. I hope the designers will keep working on them as they looked like some very interesting games. I'm posting this list for reference. None of these games are eligible for the contest.

The Wizard's Tower by Evan Williams
WIP Thread
In a realm far more fantastic and horrible than our own, a lone wizard is under attack by unspeakable monstrosities. Their dark master has sent these horrors to claim the wizard's life, and they hunger for blood! You are that wizard, and you must wield your destructive magicks to the utmost, or be consumed by the howling beasts and shambling undead that even now approach your tower.

Captain Awesome by cold_fuzion
WIP Thread

Space Invaders Themed Game by cold_fuzion

Deck of the Dead by Isaias Vallejo
WIP Thread

No Title Yet by Eric Herman Endres
WIP Thread
The idea is to do an expedition type of game, similar to the great Expedition: Africa dice game on the History Channel website, but using deck-building instead of the Yahtzee style dice.

Deadly Dice Dungeon by Peter Brichs
WIP Thread

Harness the Stars by Alex Moore
WIP Thread
The basic objective of the game is to survive an onslaught of aliens attacking earth by using various weapons, special abilities of Hero Characters, and other actions to destroy, delay, and stupefy the invading force. One of the main mechanics of the game is the tile laying system. Depending on the desired difficulty, the player can shuffle in a greater or lesser number of Star cards into the tile deck.

No Title Yet by Pelle Nilsson
WIP Thread
An operational level wargame with a hex map, but using a paragraph booklet to drive all the action.

Undisputed by Avri Klemer
WIP Thread
Undisputed is a solo card game which follows your career, starting an up and coming boxer, climbing the ladder of AI opponents, until you are finally ready to challenge for the undisputed championship of the world!

Trader by Aleksandar Saranac
WIP Thread
Game is called Trader, and it is a mix of board game and RPG. Therefore it will have playing time of 10+ hours, and should be played in several sessions. Player takes the role of the trader in post-apocalyptic world, traveling from one settlement to another in armed vehicle, selling goods like food, technological gadgets from before apocalypse, but also illegal stuff like guns, slaves or technological gadgets from before apocalypse. The longer the trip taken, the bigger the risk, but also bigger the award. Player character will grow over time, becoming better driver, better fighter, better trader.

Oubliette by Julian Jimenez
WIP Thread
The idea behind Oubliette was to create a solitaire game using only a regular deck of cards that had a somewhat abstract dungeon crawl feel to it, but without getting bogged down in looking up tables of random events, rolling tons of dice, or falling into the usual discover room, fight monster, get the treasure in that room, go to next room syndrome that most solo dungeon crawls seem to have. There are still monsters, treasures, fighting, random elements to the game, but not quite the same as usual. It also plays fairly quick and doesn't take up the whole kitchen table to play.

Capone Says by kalkaoual
Year 1930. The Outfil leader, Al Capone, is running Chicago unchallenged. Until a bunch of federal agents, known as the Untouchables, tries to stop him. build up the case collecting pieces of evidence, patrol the streets, raid illegal bars, protect witnesses... Will you read Capone's intentions in time? Are big enough a man to send him to prison?

Alcazar by Julian Jimenez
WIP Thread
This is another solo game using only a regular deck of playing cards. It is a tower defense type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'll definitely be a part of this contest when the time comes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I could do this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be watching on the side line.

Oh, and I threw in some gold (25GG) for the "Best Wargame" category award.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might take advantage of this to be my first entry. I will think about it. I have an idea, but timing might not be right with a newborn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
I might take advantage of this to be my first entry. I will think about it. I have an idea, but timing might not be right with a newborn...
Newborns sleep a lot, and they also require a lot of body-in-use-but-not-mind care, so you can be thinking about an entry while caring for babe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
casperthegoth wrote:
Newborns sleep a lot, and they also require a lot of body-in-use-but-not-mind care, so you can be thinking about an entry while caring for babe.
And nothing helps great game design like lack of sleep and spit up! (Seriously, congrats!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Well. I got excited and mapped things out. It will be nice to actually enter a contest.

And no - it isn't a baby raising game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I have a couple of solo games I've been slowly hacking away at for a while, and this will give me some incentive to finish them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to discuss the page requirement for the contest. Here are some thoughts I have. I am interested in hearing what everyone else thinks.

1a) Fewer pages (like 2-3 max) is better because it forces tight designs, it makes the games easier to build, and more likely to be played.

1b) Fewer pages is a bad idea because it prevents card-based games, games with many components or large boards, and generally puts too much of a restriction on designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd offer a balance, nick, of those options

1 page for the board
1 double sided page for rules/charts
3-4 pages for cards, tokens, etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Fewer pages is a bad idea because it prevents card-based games, games with many components or large boards, and generally puts too much of a restriction on designers.

OK, I am sure someone will point me to the thread where this has been beat into the ground but - Why not offer a suggestion instead of restriction?

I mean, I am sure there are a few, but how many people build EVERY game? If something is too big, can't it be understood that it is a sacrifice of votes?

The truth is, if a rule set is good, it won't matter how big the game is. Granted I understand there is an upper bound, but it almost seems it couldn't be achieved in only months of design and play test time.

Or, maybe that is wrong. Feel free to point me in the right direction.

Also, I note the profile of the original poster focuses on wargames. 6 pages of counters would be a lot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked the page number limit of six pages on the Quick PNP Contest that just finished. The games were all pretty easy to build and six pages didn't really feel overwhelming. Granted, that contest focused on card games so there wasn't a lot to cut out from each page. If someone made a wargame with six pages of counters no one would have time to make it.

It's hard to say things like, "If you're making a card game you can have six pages but if you're making a wargame you can have one page" because there are so many special cases and exceptions to the rules. Personally I'm not opposed to slightly larger games being allowed in the contest but those designers should be aware that less people will be willing to make and vote for those games.

I also don't want to set a low page limit on charts/paragraph books. If someone wanted to submit something like Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game I would be fine with that. That game has a lot of pages but there is no assembly. (I'd hope they'd make it a little less graphic intensive though - Dr. Who nearly killed my printer!)

The Quick PNP Contest set the rulebook limit at 10 pages and most games were well below that. I feel that most designers understand that complex games aren't going to get the votes so the keep things simple. However, the 10 page limit does allow some wiggle room for games that require a bit more explaining.

I hope that this contest will have room for the easy builds with short rules such as Jasper and Zot and the bigger games as well.

Several people have posted here that they have some game ideas already. How many pages do you estimate you'll need? What sort of components will your games have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
Black Canyon wrote:
Fewer pages is a bad idea because it prevents card-based games, games with many components or large boards, and generally puts too much of a restriction on designers.

OK, I am sure someone will point me to the thread where this has been beat into the ground but - Why not offer a suggestion instead of restriction?

I mean, I am sure there are a few, but how many people build EVERY game? If something is too big, can't it be understood that it is a sacrifice of votes?

The truth is, if a rule set is good, it won't matter how big the game is. Granted I understand there is an upper bound, but it almost seems it couldn't be achieved in only months of design and play test time.

I agree have it as a recommendation not a forced rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
Black Canyon wrote:

That's sort of the direction I'm leaning in. I don't necessarily want to say, "Sorry, your game can't be in the contest because it has one too many pages!" However, I don't think a PNP contest is really the place to introduce a game with 15 pages of components either. There needs to be an upper limit but I am willing to be a little bit flexible on it.

casperthegoth wrote:
Also, I note the profile of the original poster focuses on wargames. 6 pages of counters would be a lot...

I do love solitaire wargames but I don't want to give the impression that designers have to build them for this contest. I will be giving a prize for best wargame design but any style of game is welcome and I'll be giving prizes for other categories as well.

Also, just to reemphasize, anyone can offer prize money for any category they'd like. For example, I imagine that mcookman65 will be along shortly to offer a prize for best Zombie Game. (No pressure Mark, but just so you know, donating to this contest will earn you a HP bonus for 365ZED!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i am attracted to this contest for the AI/wargame issue because i've not yet tried my hand at designing something like that. a couple of my games use the scott slomiany idea of a large variety numbers on cards acting as the driving force for multiple information streams and random event generators. wargames though i've never been attracted to. i don't much like hexboards (personal preference) and all those counters to pick up and move, just never really caught my attention. perhaps growing up in the prime avalon hill (?) era and playing those old box games has colored my experiences

so this of course means i should really try designing one of these, de-constructing it and creating something new out of what i find interesting while researching the genre and what it offers. i have The Lords of Underearth on my shelves. perhaps that is a good place to start.

adding 50GG to the prize cauldron. and i'll probably do a side prize if i can think up something interesting to offer up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:

That's sort of the direction I'm leaning in. I don't necessarily want to say, "Sorry, your game can't be in the contest because it has one too many pages!" However, I don't think a PNP contest is really the place to introduce a game with 15 pages of components either. There needs to be an upper limit but I am willing to be a little bit flexible on it.

But on that thought...im not sure you should say a game cant be entered because it is component heavy...id could be the next big game...granted only a few may play it..that would just be something to consider when entering..i for 1 would enjoy a complex Single player game...as long as it wasn't purposeless nonsense..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
No good deed goes unpunished.
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a game idea that I have been batting around. I would like to throw my hat in this ring as my first game design.

I don't know how many pages I will need but I do know that it will have cards as a primary mechanism.

Thank you for doing this.

Cate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrummerOfJah wrote:
chansen2794 wrote:

But on that thought...im not sure you should say a game cant be entered because it is component heavy...id could be the next big game...granted only a few may play it..that would just be something to consider when entering..i for 1 would enjoy a complex Single player game...as long as it wasn't purposeless nonsense..

I agree about enjoying more complex games, I just worry that no one, myself included would play something that long within the time frame of the contest. If someone submitted Fields of Fire part 2, it might be the best solo game ever made, but if we only have a month to play and judge, that one just isn't going to make my PNP build queue. On the one hand, I want to say that all games are welcome but in reality I think we need some sort of upper limit. What do others think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I say, don't put any restrictions on designers... but put a restriction on the voters. As in, you have to actually play a game to vote on it. That will encourage the designers to keep their games lean enough and easy enough to build and play. But it also won't limit them, necessarily. If someone submits something more involved and it looks great and gets some buzz, it could encourage enough people to try it and vote for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd hate for a game to have to be 6-8 pages to be qualified. One of the designs I have been thinking of doesn't require more than one page, all in all...at least, I think. I like games when they are small, but sometimes I want to be able to spend an entire day crafting on a game. I'm always a bit miffed when there's restrictions like this ~ unless that's the entire point of the contest (single sheet label, for instance). Let the designers choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game "could" be 8-10 pages 2 pages of which are essentially reversible playmats, so very easy to build. The rest are business card size cards to fit on the play mats in a purposeful manner. I would require a couple other things that the user track down too. With an option page of tokens to replace most of this.

I would see my rules at 5-6 pages with pictorial examples. Not that it is a hard game, just that I write white papers and technical documents for a living, so I know it will be nice to be concise, accurate and illustrative.

Edit to Add: My game is really a base set with a clear set of paths for "expansion" could I pre-create expansions and submit them as a way to enhance the game, but not a requirement for the build?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the original post idea was spot on for limits. Go with the higher limit of 8 pages for components for assembly. That would still allow 6 pages for cards (for a 54 card deck at 9 cards to page) and two for markers/chits. That way someone could make a chit-hex wargame with the cards there to power the AI.

Yes, I think the page limits in the previous design contests were good, but those were the criteria for those contests (the one full sheet label and the quick print and play). The criteria initially set forward for this was solo play.

Now I understand that the tighter constraints can help focus the design. I also understand that someone might have a great idea that just won't fit into the constraints. I think putting too many constraints just limits creativity more than encouraging it. Its a fine balance but I'd prefer to err on the side of too few than too many constraints.

Anyway, my
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have the time when this competition comes round I may have 2 entries. I have 2 single player ideas that have been on the back-burner for a while. This competition could be the trigger to actually dust them off and get them finished!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
It's hard to say things like, "If you're making a card game you can have six pages but if you're making a wargame you can have one page" because there are so many special cases and exceptions to the rules.

Well, you could say something like: "Not more than 110 custom game components, including cards, tokens, including boards, tiles, cards, tokens, chits, and die-faces." If you can get all 110 on one page, fine, and if it takes you 20 pages because you have several large boards, fine. Either way, the number of cuts should be comparable.

BUT I think some contests really lend themselves to hard rules, and others do not. Examples of hard-rule contest would be the one-page contest earlier, or a "54 cards and no other custom components" contest aimed at artscow production. Or maybe "Up to 20 custom dice plus a board and nothing else." That type of contest makes sense, and can be fun. But for a general multi-page contest, I am inclined to agree that guidelines are better than firm rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.