Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Ontario

Subject: Good Game Stores in Ottawa - Where are they? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hello, I am going to be in Ottawa this weekend and was wondering where the good game stores are. Hoping some of you would share your information regarding this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mass Effect Fan - TaliMicrobadge: Fire Emblem fanMicrobadge: Ultimate VGG Uploader - This user has 1000+ entries and is in the VGG Hall of Fame!Microbadge: Mega Man fanMicrobadge: Metroid fan
The one that I go to most often is Fandom II. It's located downtown (162 Laurier Ave) a few blocks away from the parliament buildings, and it tends to have a good selection of games.

Another store that I've heard a lot about, but never been to, is Toys on Fire (130 Riocan Ave).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'd rather be playing boardgames!Microbadge: StarCraft: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Guitar playerMicrobadge: Snowboard fanMicrobadge: The Geek Die Roller Hates Me
The best one in town, in my opinion is The Comic Book Shop on Merivale.

http://thecomicbookshoppe.com/contact_us.php?osCsid=bf37afc7...

Fandom II as previously mentioned, would be my second choice. If you're downtown in the market, go there, if you're not downtown and have a car, go to the Comic Book Shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Hamburger loverMicrobadge: DC Comics Deck-Building Game fanMicrobadge: Wonder Woman fanMicrobadge: Pick me up K.I.T.T.!Microbadge: The Thing fan
The Mrs. and I have visited a few gaming stores (and yes we even include Mrs Tiggywinkle's in that!) since moving to Ottawa. We've done Wizard's Tower (both locations), Toys on Fire, Strategy Games, and Fandom II.

In our humble opinions in terms of BOTH service and selection we opt for Toys on Fire. Being new to gaming, we were impressed by how long the clerk there took to actually LISTEN to us and try and figure out what games would best serve our needs.

Now, I know I might get some flack over saying that, but T.O.F. is the only place where the Mrs. actually feels comfortable asking questions, and we don't feel like noobs/idiots going there.

Yup, I do like the selection at some of the oher stores better when it comes to wargaming gear, but honestly, at times they make me feel like a tool,a nd *I* am wasting *their* time. Kinda weird, considering I'm giving them money for their products!

Ok, rant done...like I said our honest opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mass Effect Fan - TaliMicrobadge: Fire Emblem fanMicrobadge: Ultimate VGG Uploader - This user has 1000+ entries and is in the VGG Hall of Fame!Microbadge: Mega Man fanMicrobadge: Metroid fan
chuckyparadise wrote:
Now, I know I might get some flack over saying that, but T.O.F. is the only place where the Mrs. actually feels comfortable asking questions, and we don't feel like noobs/idiots going there.

Yup, I do like the selection at some of the oher stores better when it comes to wargaming gear, but honestly, at times they make me feel like a tool,a nd *I* am wasting *their* time. Kinda weird, considering I'm giving them money for their products!

I've heard that as well. Personally, I only go to Fandom II when I already know what I want, because I've never been amazed by their service. They're friendly, but not overly helpful for non-regular customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Hamburger loverMicrobadge: DC Comics Deck-Building Game fanMicrobadge: Wonder Woman fanMicrobadge: Pick me up K.I.T.T.!Microbadge: The Thing fan
Ziilch wrote:
chuckyparadise wrote:

I've heard that as well. Personally, I only go to Fandom II when I already know what I want, because I've never been amazed by their service. They're friendly, but not overly helpful for non-regular customers.
Could not agree more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Roborally fanMicrobadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Fury of Dracula fan
chuckyparadise wrote:
In our humble opinions in terms of BOTH service and selection we opt for Toys on Fire.
I think you're right about the service, provided the staff isn't too busy wrangling kids and their Beyblades or whatever top-like competitions that seem to always be going on in that store.

On selection, they're substantially surpassed by the Clyde location of The Comic Book Shoppe (referred to above by Adam as Merivale, but it's just north of the Merivale/Merivale/Clyde intersection so is on Clyde). You really need to go there.

The third vector by which I judge a game store is price, where Toys on Fire is a complete noncompetitor unless they've got what you want in their clearance bin. I've seen $80 tags on games there that sell for $50 elsewhere in town. And if the sticker price delta wasn't enough, the other two big dogs in town offer a 10% discount on all merchandise to card-carrying members of the local game clubs. Toys on Fire used to offer 5% and could not be used on already-on-sale product, and insisted they manage the cards (Fandom and TCBS allowed the club to manage the cards). Then they stopped managing the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: Canadian WargamerMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Mechanical EngineerMicrobadge: Wargamer since the 70s
GamerAtom wrote:

Second vote here for The Comic Book Store. By far the best selection of games in town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I really need to get one of those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Not a real zombie.
Microbadge: Santorini fanMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Evolution fanMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
Barthheart wrote:
GamerAtom wrote:

Second vote here for The Comic Book Store. By far the best selection of games in town.
thirded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Roborally fanMicrobadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Fury of Dracula fan
Deefer wrote:
Barthheart wrote:
GamerAtom wrote:

thirded.
Me too, but only the Clyde location. The Bank location is ... not worth visiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
thatmarkguy wrote:
Deefer wrote:
Barthheart wrote:
GamerAtom wrote:

thirded.
Me too, but only the Clyde location. The Bank location is ... not worth visiting.
Good tip,
I'll have to check that location out for myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choices, Choices, Always nice to have choices. We will be staying in Nepean area and we are not that familiar with Ottawa. We do have some specific games in mind for example the White Moon Expansion for Ghost Stories, Pastiche or Dominion expansions. Thanks for all the good places. I look foward to Ottawa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Worst comes to worst, I also order games online from Starlitcitadel.com in BC.

Solid prices, but yes I also know there is a debate of online vs. FLGS purchases.

Again, just another option for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Nepean area is good. Both of the most talked about stores in this thread are in the area formerly known as Nepean. The Comic Book Shop is in the strip mall on the northwest corner of Clyde at Merivale (the mall with Bleeker Stereo and Tv at one end, and Local Heroes at the other). Toys on Fire is in the big-box Rio-Can shopping center on the southeast side of the corner of Greenbank and Strandherd. It's back near the movie theater and the liquor store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
Canada
Saskatoon
SK
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: Computer Programmer
I tend to go to Fandom II since I'm more often downtown than near Merivale. I'll have to check out The Comic Book Shoppe sometime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Okay I am back from Ottawa and went to Fandomii and also The Comic Book Store. Both had a good selection and similar prices. I ended up buying Arkham Horror and Dominion Seaside Expansion. Thanks to you all for steering me in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirsch
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Your MomMicrobadge: Taco Bell fanMicrobadge: I Hate WinterMicrobadge: Get off my lawn!Microbadge: wow
I know your trip is over and done with, but I'm surprised this store doesn't get mentioned much;

Wizard's Tower
Kanata

462 Hazeldean Road,
Kanata, ON
Call Us: (613) 836-3030

Wizard's Tower
Barrhaven

3350 Fallowfield Road
Ottawa, ON
Call Us: (613) 843-0705

They seem to have a good stock of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Not a real zombie.
Microbadge: Santorini fanMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Evolution fanMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
the do have a decent stock of games, but in my experience they are exceedingly over priced. sometimes almost as much as double!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
That last time I was in each location, they had basically one rack of games (only the big-selling Euro titles - Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Settlers - and some major-license-branded games like Lord of the Rings, Warcraft, and Halo). And fantasy-mini blisterpacks and CCGs...

Last time I was in one I went in intending to buy a game - and left having bought only card sleeves and cases.

Have they changed store policy to actually stock board games beyond such a minimal offering? Because my early experiences with each of them made them completely drop off my radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirsch
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Your MomMicrobadge: Taco Bell fanMicrobadge: I Hate WinterMicrobadge: Get off my lawn!Microbadge: wow
When was the last time you guys were in the store? I was there last summer and found they had less than Toys on Fire but not by much, and their prices were about the same as well. They're not fantastic, but a heck of a lot better than Mrs Tiggy Winkles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Toronto Raptors fanMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Eclipse userMicrobadge: Java programmer
I've been there recently since I just live around the corner. They seem to have a selection that offers a good cross section of the hobby but, as you say, it is not as extensive as Toys on Fire or The Comic Book Shoppe. I would say that, in general, their prices are in the order of 10% higher then Toys on Fire which is, in turn 10% higher then the Comic Book Shoppe (these are rough estimates). You can, however, find the occasional good deal (I once saw BattleLore: The Hundred Years' War – Crossbows & Polearms there for $32 which seemed reasonable given that it was OOP at the time).

EDIT: Actually I just took a look at the Toys on Fire website and it look like the Wizard Tower prices are not that much more than Toys on Fire. Sorry for any misinformation there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The guys at Toys on Fire appreciate all the compliments. We know we don't have the best prices in town, but we try to make up for it in customer service. :)

Mark, as for the discount cards, we're still accepting them. They do expire, but we make new ones based on the lists that Mark Loebach sends us. In fact, we still have a bunch here that still need to be picked up.

It's a testament to how often these cards are used in our store, really. In the 2 years we've tried this discount card system out, we've had people present their cards a total of maybe 10 times. I understand it's mostly a distance thing, though: Barrhaven - more like FARhaven, am I right?

But if any of you Toys on Fire cardholders are feeling up to the pilgrimage, we'll still gladly give you your 5% and a good board game -related discussion (if that's worth anything. :p)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Not a real zombie.
the comic book store gives a 10% off with the membership card. just sayin'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Buzzopolis wrote:
It's a testament to how often these cards are used in our store, really. In the 2 years we've tried this discount card system out, we've had people present their cards a total of maybe 10 times. I understand it's mostly a distance thing, though: Barrhaven - more like FARhaven, am I right?
I think you're mistaken about the cause. You're actually closer to my home than any of the others. I think you're not a preferred location for purchasing among Ottawa's game-club community primarily because the other stores have you beat on selection, sticker price, and discount rate. If TCBS is more likely to have the game I want, at a lower pricetag, and with a higher club discount rate, then i'll happily go the extra distance to them rather than your store which would otherwise be more convenient for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |