Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Hamburger loverMicrobadge: DC Comics Deck-Building Game fanMicrobadge: Wonder Woman fanMicrobadge: Pick me up K.I.T.T.!Microbadge: The Thing fan
Buzzopolis wrote:
The guys at Toys on Fire appreciate all the compliments. We know we don't have the best prices in town, but we try to make up for it in customer service.

Mark, as for the discount cards, we're still accepting them. They do expire, but we make new ones based on the lists that Mark Loebach sends us. In fact, we still have a bunch here that still need to be picked up.

It's a testament to how often these cards are used in our store, really. In the 2 years we've tried this discount card system out, we've had people present their cards a total of maybe 10 times. I understand it's mostly a distance thing, though: Barrhaven - more like FARhaven, am I right?

But if any of you Toys on Fire cardholders are feeling up to the pilgrimage, we'll still gladly give you your 5% and a good board game -related discussion (if that's worth anything. )
Wait, are you saying Toys on Fire accepts our gaming club membership cards?! Crap, I was there this weekend,a nd didn't know!

Also, quick comparison if it helps at all (might continue to fuelt he debate I know...) I bought 3 expansions for Carcassonne this week. Two were at Strategy Games and went for 7.99 each, where as the third I bought at Toys on Fire for 6.49.

Sure, it might not seem like much, but had I gone to TOF first, I woulda saved 3 bucks!

In case you cared the expansions were The River II; Cult, Siege, and Creativity; and The River I.

Again, just stating facts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Even though I live in Orleans, I make the trek to Toys on Fire as often as I can. Grey, Chris and all the guys are helpful and very friendly.
They can be a great help - especially to non gamers.

Thanks to Grey telling me on a number of occasions "You hae to try this game!" I've added a number of games to my favourites which I honestly never would have even tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Roborally fanMicrobadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Fury of Dracula fan
chuckyparadise wrote:
Wait, are you saying Toys on Fire accepts our gaming club membership cards?! Crap, I was there this weekend,a nd didn't know!
They accept a discount card made by their store for the clubs. They refuse to accept the ones printed by the club organizers.

But there's either been a major miscommunication or some debacle, because the club organizers have given up on Toys on Fire's discount card program. It would appear the insistence of self-management combined with poor communication has led to the clubs completely giving up on working with them. Their store is the only one causing issues - nobody's given up on TCBS or Fandom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Hamburger loverMicrobadge: DC Comics Deck-Building Game fanMicrobadge: Wonder Woman fanMicrobadge: Pick me up K.I.T.T.!Microbadge: The Thing fan
thatmarkguy wrote:
chuckyparadise wrote:
They accept a discount card made by their store for the clubs. They refuse to accept the ones printed by the club organizers.

But there's either been a major miscommunication or some debacle, because the club organizers have given up on Toys on Fire's discount card program. It would appear the insistence of self-management combined with poor communication has led to the clubs completely giving up on working with them. Their store is the only one causing issues - nobody's given up on TCBS or Fandom.
Ah ok, I misunderstood!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'd rather be playing boardgames!Microbadge: StarCraft: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Guitar playerMicrobadge: Snowboard fanMicrobadge: The Geek Die Roller Hates Me
thatmarkguy wrote:
Buzzopolis wrote:
It's a testament to how often these cards are used in our store, really. In the 2 years we've tried this discount card system out, we've had people present their cards a total of maybe 10 times. I understand it's mostly a distance thing, though: Barrhaven - more like FARhaven, am I right?
I think you're mistaken about the cause. You're actually closer to my home than any of the others. I think you're not a preferred location for purchasing among Ottawa's game-club community primarily because the other stores have you beat on selection, sticker price, and discount rate. If TCBS is more likely to have the game I want, at a lower pricetag, and with a higher club discount rate, then i'll happily go the extra distance to them rather than your store which would otherwise be more convenient for me.
my feelings exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I understand what you're saying, Mark. I too will shop where I can get the lowest price. It make sense. The first time I asked about low card use however, it seemed to me the biggest issue was distance.

Now to address the "major miscommunication or debacle" - the system we currently use for the discount cards works like this: We get emailed the new members, we make the cards, we laminate them, we have them set aside for pick-up, and we email the club back to tell them their cards are ready. I'm not sure where the miscommunication may have occurred, or why anyone would have given up on us. No matter how little anybody shops at Toys on Fire, I think 5% is better than nothing.

We do want your business, and working closely with a game club only makes sense. Unfortunately, I personally do not have the final say in these matters, but I will talk to Phu, the manager, and see if we can strengthen our relationship with the club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Buzzopolis wrote:
I understand what you're saying, Mark. I too will shop where I can get the lowest price. It make sense. The first time I asked about low card use however, it seemed to me the biggest issue was distance.

Now to address the "major miscommunication or debacle" - the system we currently use for the discount cards works like this: We get emailed the new members, we make the cards, we laminate them, we have them set aside for pick-up, and we email the club back to tell them their cards are ready. I'm not sure where the miscommunication may have occurred, or why anyone would have given up on us. No matter how little anybody shops at Toys on Fire, I think 5% is better than nothing.

We do want your business, and working closely with a game club only makes sense. Unfortunately, I personally do not have the final say in these matters, but I will talk to Phu, the manager, and see if we can strengthen our relationship with the club.
So can I get a card?! I'm part of a gaming club in Ottawa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm a Cat Guy!Microbadge: Tile placement / tile laying games fanMicrobadge: I'm the GM - I'm the decider!Microbadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Golden Board Game Collector
I am very loyal to both Wizards Tower and Toys on Fire primarily due to their level of customer service. Price does not factor into my decision in the least. Discounts, while nice, are secondary.

Feeling welcome in those stores makes both my visits of choice. I mean no disrespect to the other retailers but WT and TOF distinguish themselves from the pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks Paul.

Discounts sure are nice, though, and I managed to talk to the boss today! He's willing to give 10% off if you present your board game club card! Party on!

If any other Ottawa area clubs want to get in on this, send me a message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buzzopolis wrote:
Thanks Paul.

Discounts sure are nice, though, and I managed to talk to the boss today! He's willing to give 10% off if you present your board game club card! Party on!

Just messages you on behalf of us in Ottawa East (IE: Orleans)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson Doherty
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
www.toysonfire.ca
badge
Microbadge: FLGS RetailerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Steam userMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fanMicrobadge: Hot Food lover
Buzzopolis wrote:
Thanks Paul.

To further elaborate on my co-workers note: Toys on Fire is now offering 10% OFF on Board/Card Games to ANYONE who carries a Game Club Membership Card and presents it to us. Currently we are accepting members of the following groups. Please contact us to get your group added to this list.

-Kanata Board Gamers
-Orleans Board Gamers
-Ottawa Board Gamers (Westboro)
-Ludo-Outaoauis Gamers (Ludo-Hebdo)

Game on!

Gray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Buzzopolis wrote:
Thanks Paul.

Wicked, so if I present my membership card from the club I play with in Westboro, I will get 10% off? Just making sure we're talking about the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thatmarkguy wrote:
Me too, but only the Clyde location. The Bank location is ... not worth visiting.
To be fair to them, the Bank location is a far FAR better comic book shop than the Bank location is Games-wise, though ... yeah, Clyde's where it's at!

I like shopping there and at Fandom. Never yet been to Toys on Fire - Barrhaven's hard to get to by bus >_> ... at least from Bell's Corners, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson Doherty
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
www.toysonfire.ca
badge
Microbadge: FLGS RetailerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Steam userMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fanMicrobadge: Hot Food lover
for realz baby!

chuckyparadise wrote:
Buzzopolis wrote:
Thanks Paul.

Wicked, so if I present my membership card from the club I play with in Westboro, I will get 10% off? Just making sure we're talking about the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mmacmartin wrote:
I like shopping there and at Fandom. Never yet been to Toys on Fire - Barrhaven's hard to get to by bus >_> ... at least from Bell's Corners, anyway.
118 to Baseline Station, then the 95 Barrhaven Centre all the way to end of the line and it's a 30 second walk through our front door. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |