Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3247 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [130] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » QLD (Brisbane)

Subject: Critical Mass Games Nights. Chermside and Indooroopilly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Critical Mass (Indooroopilly)
Quote:
okay how about sunday the 18th. not to sound rude, but does anyone have any ideas of time or place? If any decisions are made before then could someone ring me please (my access to the internet before that time is highly doubtful).

We're keen, our place is available. I suggest starting after lunch, for the afternoon and maybe evening. If anyone wants to come or has a better idea, post here. When there is anything like concensus, I will give THE AXE a call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

Well, I'll take a stab and see if I bleed.

When's the next gaming night? I haven't played most of the games you all have listed in the thread above, but maybe that's not the important thing. Anyway, was looking about for a gaming group and this seemed like a nice casual introduction to the community.

I suppose my only contribution would be to show up and perhaps bring Killer Bunnies with me; though, well, it's not a very 'boardy' game.

until then,
underground

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Well, I used to play AD&D back in the olden golden days. My board gaming has been light, mostly due to a wife who hates getting creamed by me in Risk, or really any game that takes more strategy than luck. She admits to this, so I shouldn't get hit for that statement. Shouldn't.

I have interest in most any game really, there are so many and I really haven't chased them up. I think the reason I'm interested in your group is because I want to learn more. BTW, I only mentioned KBs because it's a recent thing with my family that we all seem to enjoy, so we have the basic set plus red and violet expansions.

until then,
underground

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wong
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Axe wrote:
Get ready for "simpsons citadels". Some time i will make another verion of citadels based on the simpsons characters and places, with 'homer' as the king, 'Apu' as the merchant, 'Flanders' as the bishop, and 'Mr Burns' as the warlord etc, to try to build green merchant buildings like "moes Tavern', the 'Qik-e-mart', the 'try-and-save' department store, and purple special buildings like the 'Nuclear power plant' and 'Barneys bowl-a-rama' etc. I hope to have it finished by the end of the school holidays.

Man ... am really wishing I was back in Bris. Would it be too much trouble for you to take a pic of it when you are done? Would really love to have a look at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wong
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,

I know you like Samurai but have no idea you like it that much laugh

I just got Louis XIV myself and hopefully I'll be able to get a game in sometime soon. Got Alhambra too and Bohnanza and Duel of Ages and El Grande and ... okie am buying way too many games now

-m-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone wants to be invited to Free Radicals, the most helpful thing you can do is to send me your phone number(s) and email addresses. Some people like The Axe can't get to a computer very often, so I organise the meetings using a hybrid approach of email, phone, BGG, etc. The more ways I have of contacting you, the more likely you are to be invited.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, on the topic of fortnightly meetings, Ian Houlihan from QGG is starting a Friday night games session at Everton Hills PCYC, and he has designed it to be two weeks away from Critical Mass - i.e. this is a complementary meeting, not competitive. I have posted details in the QGG thread in this forum. I encourage you to get involved, as QGG has contact with a lot more gamers (RPGs, CCGs, miniatures) than we do, and are willing to support people like us, e.g. by providing tables for events and so on. If you think we have reached Critical Mass now, what could we achieve if we were to run some games at The Big Weekend?

I attended a QGG committee meeting a couple of weeks ago, and I think that if we have the motivation, QGG has the infrastructure for us to locate and recruit many more board-gamers than we have so far dreamed about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
her birthday, Friday the 7th of October

So what game are you giving her for her birthday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you get your requests in for the games you want to play on Friday. Especially for John's (Friendless) since he limits himself to one big boxfull of his large collection. See the first posts for the growing list of games owned by regulars in our group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OzGamer wrote:
Anyone interested in a game of Power Grid tomorrrow night?

If I'm available I'll be keen. Harley might be, but it is more likely he will want to play with Zoe and Gabby. I often spend a lot of the night teaching games to other people, which makes it hard to play other people's games. I will be bringing Memoir '44 (with the hope of playing Overlord) and Domaine (because Harley refuses to play with me).

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I still have Eric's copy of Memoir '44, because he has gone to Essen. If anybody wants to get together for a Free Radicals Overlord, let me know. It only took us an hour to play on Friday night, with 5 newbies. I would also like to organise a Free Radicals 2 Player Game Night where we play 2 player games and rotate players. However it would be wise to wait until smee62 is available, because he has all of the Gipf Project games.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I can second that memoir 44 overlord was not at difficult to get through in under an hour even with 6. Playing the board in sections meant there was very little downtime. Id say once you knew what you were doing it would almost take longer to set-up than play.

For tikal and a bunch of new players id set aside at least two hours (excluding explanation) and dont go near the action version if you want to finish under three.

If your a fan of shogun andrew ever tried fortress america?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Tikal is one of those games I bring to sessions a lot but which doesnt get a lot of play.

It tends to take a long time through a combination of:
1. all information being open;
2. it being difficult/impossible to think through your moves during other players turns;
3. people not playing it much because of the other reasons meaning it takes even longer.

Its also not particularly great with 2 or 3 meaning its really a 4 player game only.

I owned or had access to each of axis and allies, shogun and Fortress America as a kid. I like fortress america best out of the 3 partly because it has more structure to it (the invaders try and beat the crap out of america) and an in-built game end (after about turn 7 or 8 the invaders either win or can no longer win). It is however a 3 hour or so game unless the players are experienced. Shogun is pretty chaotic and very often comes down to the winner being the player who was most able to avoid the conflict the best (you get very little out of attacking another players army if you dont kill him off entirely). The strategies also get a bit similar once you work out the critical bits are all about the ronin.

My attendance at critical mass is largely based on whether my girlfriend is also doing something that night but my current list of games (which I own or have possession of) but don't get too play as much as I like are:

- LOTR confrontation
- Blue moon (why does noone in my group like this when they were all ccg fans???)
- Scarab Lords
- Hera & Zeus
- War of the Ring
- Fortress America
- Domaine
- T & E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Oh no argument that shogun is better than risk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:
Tikal, Lost Cities...

Amazonas... hmm, you've found a weak spot in my collection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:
Must play games. MUST PLAY GAMES.

I am checking with the boss to see when we can fit you in. My order from Boards & Bits has arrived already (10 days, and I only paid for surface mail), so I have Cartagena which needs to be played as well. This weekend is difficult as niece and nephew are both having birthdays, and Queensland Gamers' Guild is holding Orktoberfest

http://www.ork-toberfest.org.au

which we were going to pop into and try to find someone to play Orcz with.

Also don't north-siders, don't forget QGG board games night at the Everton Hills PCYC this Friday night. Yes, Everton Hills. It might have been at Zillmere, but now it is definitely at Everton Hills again. Everton Hills has "3 visit" cards which allow you to visit 3 times without paying the annual membership. I will try to get absolutely definitive details and post to the QGG thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:
Who's coming next Friday??

We are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OzGamer wrote:
John, are you bringing Cartagena?

Yes.

I will also bring Vinci, now that Harley has play-tested it with me and I reckon I know the rules well enough to teach it. Might take 2 hours for 4 people to play, maybe under.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed myself too at this games night (dtd 4/11/05). Played an old favourite, and two new games, one of which I've been waiting on for months.

Samurai is always good, and it's one of my all time favourite games. Simple rules, but a good depth in gameplay. There are so many instances where each player agonized over their limited choices, and taking a gamble when they are so close to capturing a faction.

Power Grid. Fantastic. 5 players, with Wayne, Shane, Darren, Ben and myself. I'm really glad this game didn't diappoint. You know how often it is when we buy a new game after hearing good things about it, and coming away disappointed when it turns out it wasn't quite as good as expected? I glad that didn't happen this time. I really enjoy how the game escalates (with the progressive steps) and makes it more tense. I think all of us were pretty relaxed at the start of the game. I personally become more and more tense, as I began to realise that the end wasn't quite that far off, and I needed to do something to get a leg up whilst hoping the rest did something silly. It was a pretty even game all round.

I did make a couple mistakes with the rules though. When deciding turn order in phase 1, ties are decided by the number on the power plants, and not by counting money as we played on friday. And with 5 players, the game ends at 14 cities and not 15. Though I think we reached 15 pretty quickly. I remember someone commenting at the start how difficult it would be to reach quite so many cities, and I felt the same before having played the game.

Diamant is fun. It really is. Lots of high-fives going around (well, just Darren, Harley and me) when we make it back with our treasure. It doesn't matter how much you collect, it's how much you can bring home!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For some reason I thought you had to power 15 cities on the final turn (not just own 15 cities).

Probably because that's the rule. I made the opposite mistake when I played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozvortex wrote:
I think the rule is that on the turn someone has built their 15th city the player who can power the most cities is the winner.

Oh, I see. I told you I got that rule wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule says:

Winning the game
The winner is the player who can supply electricity to the most cities with his network.

I looked up the rules clarification on this before we played, so I'm pretty sure we played it right. Ending the game, and winning the game has two different conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kracken wrote:
I looked up the rules clarification on this before we played, so I'm pretty sure we played it right.

Yep, I reckon you did, I just got confused by the way Wayne described it the first time. I just wrote a session report for the game of Cartagena we had on Friday night. I had fun, anyway :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:

Yep, I reckon you did, I just got confused by the way Wayne described it the first time. I just wrote a session report for the game of Cartagena we had on Friday night. I had fun, anyway :-).

I've already read your session report. I always keep an eye out for your reports after a gaming session cos I enjoy reading it.

I really should start keeping notes on the games I play too. I had a strong urge to write one for Power Grid, cos I just couldn't get the game out of my head. But I don't remember most of the details. I tried to write one anyway, but the entire report spanned a total of three lines. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I taught power grid with 5 on saturday morning at QUGS.

I haven't got the rules handy but I thought buying 15 cities ended the game not 14 (amusing if we made the same error).

Sounds like your game finished much earlier. In our game the last turn ended with 2 players having built to 15 and powering 15 with 3 players built to 16 and powering 16. Unfortunately I was in the former group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [130] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.