Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3247 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [130] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » QLD (Brisbane)

Subject: Critical Mass Games Nights. Chermside and Indooroopilly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Critical Mass (Indooroopilly)
It's almost Wednesday afternoon, time for the ancient tradition of Wednesday Afternoon Games! Actually, I am reconsidering the name - WAGS for Wednesday Afternoon Games, or The Wednesday Afternoon Games In City Club, which would be TWAGICC. Anyway, who would like to come along?

5pm TODAY at the Pancake Manor, Charlotte St

Last fortnight, Ken and Snacko and I played Cartagena and two games of Coloretto, after discovering someone forgot to bring any dice for A&A Minis. Today, I have Trias, Coloretto, Bohnanza and Tatata! in my bag. Eric seems to be keen, and who knows what he would bring.

BTW, I had a very nice seafood crepe for dinner last time, which cost $16 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd rather be gaming...
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a work Xmas function on Friday night so won't be able to make it. I'll be on the lookout for any Free Radicals games after that though...
- Ozvortex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale - always great, look for the strategy guide just posted
Tikal - one of the most interesting games I have played
Dungeonville - don't buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Our table (nearest the stage) played:

Samurai
Ticket to Ride
For Sale (x2)
Bluff

A fun night - a fairly light selection in comparison to the games down the other end of the hall, but we got to play more games!

I'm really sorry guys that I played with, but I just don't remember all of your names. I will plead in my defence that I am a fair bit older than all of you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Medici
San Juan
Louis XIV

Had a great weekend overall with

Doom
War of the Ring
Evo
Attika
Through the desert
San juan
War of the ring
Domaine

on saturday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid
Guillotine
Carcassone
For Sale

Those are the 4 games I played. It was a great game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the next Critical Mass Games Night is not until January I wanted to let you all know about something the Indooroopilly Uniting Church (the providers of our hall space) are doing for Christmas which may appeal to the members of our group, especially those with kids. IUC hosts a walkthrough nativity each year. I went last year and it really is very good. The alleyway between the hall we normally use and the one we used in December is transformed into a middle-eastern marketplace with carpenters, beggars, jewellers, sellers of figs, dates, pistachios, sultanas, apricots (picture Alladin) Roman centurions, live animals, inn keepers with no room and of course the Nativity itself- which each year is portrayed by the youngest baby in the congregation and their parents. Well if that wasn't enough this year Joseph will be played by none other than Michael C (recently dubbed The Real Cujo) from our games group. His wife (my sister) will be playing Mary and sure enough Jesus will be played by their baby.
When you arrive you start from the footpath at the street and each visitor is given some old authentic looking coins to spend. As you stroll between the storekeepers and citizens of Bethlehem the hawkers will call out to you to buy their wears. Romans will take taxes from you, beggars will ask for alms. If you decide to stop at a stall you can haggle with the storekeeper and spend the coins you were given on a snack or handmade decoration. Animals are there to be patted. It really is worthwhile and very historicly done...oh except for the fact that Jesus will be played by a girl laugh.
Of course chatting with big Mike about The Tigris and Euphrates Rivers is encouraged. References to The Tower of Babel, The Settlers of Canaan or The Ark of the Covenant may not get the expected response since he hasn't played (or even seen) any of those games yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans van der Drift
Australia
Bulimba
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrew,

That sounds great. I have 2 kids, (4 and 7) who would love it. What are the dates and times please?

Thanks,

Hans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
December 20 -22nd 6:30-8:30. There is apparently a big banner on the front of the church just opposite the Indooroopilly shops bus stop/Pig and Whistle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans van der Drift
Australia
Bulimba
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, I am winding down at work so I am sure I can fit one night in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just making sure everyone knows that the 6th of January is a games night although I hope to play games often between now and then. Come on all you teachers and students, what are you doing. Any night you are free lets game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Kim and their baby are doing the Jesus, Mary and Joseph thing with the walkthrough nativity on Tuesday and Thursday. Another family are doing wednesday. I am taking my wife and kids on Tuesday so I'll see you there if you are too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games on Wednesday night? Andrew, if you are not able to come out, do you volunteer your place? My place is available, but who wants to make the trek to Deagon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually my week is filling up with family stuff as it does around Christmas. Friday night is the only one that still looks good. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:
Actually my week is filling up with family stuff as it does around Christmas. Friday night is the only one that still looks good. Sorry.

And Friday night is out for us! Why does it always happen like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bunch of games of John Hanley's that I would like to play, and some of them are too heavy for my wife to play. I would like to learn one well and teach it on Friday night. What would you prefer to play out of:

Himalaya
Reef Encounter
Lost Valley

??? I think half the readership of this thread might live in Singapore these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the First Friday of January has arrived (nearly). Who is coming to the games night? It might be a smaller gathering this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harley and I will be there. I am studying up on Himalaya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd rather be gaming...
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunatley I won't be able to make it.
- Ozvortex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Astley
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there.
Bringing Werner again too. :-)
See you there.

:-D avid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sorry I couldn't make it guys - was farewelling a friend who was off to Dubai for a couple of years. However, I got a couple of games for Christmas and am keen to get back into it this year.

How did last Friday go? Were there many people despite being in the middle of the holidays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It went well. There were 16 of us. I didn't put any effort into calling around or emailing this time though. I was happy for it to be small and was expecting a lot less people but it was great that we are getting so many regulars and quite a few new faces. It is good that people know when and where it is on so that I don't need to contact anyone to make things happen.
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I played:

- Tikal where I took over from black in a good position about half way through and with some nice tiles pulled it turned in to a commanding position. Managed to avoid any real fights and won. Like the game a lot but it just increases any AP tendancies with the players. It is quite possible to play it more quickly but you will tend to lose to someone who sits there and thinks out every possibility. Quite a dillema.

- Pirates cove (first play) where I ended up a clear third. Like the game but we all thought about it way too much for what it is. Found it hard to catch up from a fame deficit caused by losing a fight early. Even being the only person to solo a legendary pirate didn't catch me up. Funnily I found the dice throwing part of it not to be a problem at all. There was quite a bit of depth (relatively) to when to use cards, what part of your ship to upgrade to get an advantage in battle and where to shoot at. The problem is that I can see the game going to the person who most successfully avoids running into anyone else and thats mostly a crapshoot. The cards are also pretty unbalanced with some being really good and some being completely useless. The type of game which is really fun when you can finish in under an hour but someone will invariably take their time and you won't.

- For Sale (first play). Another third by a couple of points to Andrew. Another game I overthought and made some mistakes. Got stuck in a bad bidding place early but dwelt on it too much. Missed the (obvious) ommission of two cheques randomly and thus held my 28 (which was high) for a 15 cheque that never arrived. Wouldn't have won me the game anyway. Like it even though Im not a bid fan of blind bidding but its definately only filler. One of those games where it hard to work out whether the winner did it more through skill or more because cards came up in a certain order.

A good night particularly as I was going to miss QUGS the next day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm placing an order with Boulder Games TOMORROW MORNING. Does anyone want anything?

http://www.bouldergames.com/

I can calculate the actual extra cost (including shipping) using their checkout system and charge you that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to Friday night. I have been studying the rules to Reef Encounter , and would like to have a game before I have to give it back to John Hanley. It looks complicated, I dare not try it with Harley!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [130] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.