Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BSG 180 - Bull's Eye rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
Chris Dawson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great game everyone, it was really close towards the end and when we were at 7 distance i honestly thought Chief had turned the game around (Seriously, you did something amazing to get it as close as you did, well done).

On the whole, we won, and fun was had by all. Now to try and join the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdrc wrote:
Something that puzzled me for a while.. and I´m glad to be able to ask this question now, is how Klaus managed to have such a good overview on the various card stacks. Was that just brain work? Because more than once I had the feeling that you must be keeping record somewhere.

I assume he maintained a spreadsheet. I have done that for my first couple of PBF BSG games, and especially in the base game you can usually keep track of all the players' hands and the destiny deck quite well. I have stopped doing that, though, because it is a LOT of work, and it is easy to make mistakes.

cmdrc wrote:
Apart from that, I hereby declare you to be the most analytical player I´ve ever met. This game seems to be like a excel-spread sheet for you - 100% calculable.

It is harder with Pegasus, especially with characters like Ellen and Leoben. And there is an alternate rule that some mods use, which is building the destiny deck from THREE cards of each type, and then rebuilt and reshuffle after it has run out for two-thirds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing that elaborate. I did note down people's colors, however. Originally, I just wanted to try and keep a fix on Destiny, but as we had a whole lot of open skill checks in the beginning, it wasn't difficult to keep up with everyone's hand too. Though I did make mistakes.

Card strength isn't that complicated to guess, especially in the base game. When you see something like 5 DEs played into a skill check, it's an easy assumption that there aren't many left in the deck. For my color recommendations to you, I just looked at which decks had been recently reshuffled, (and my own hand). People talk about what the can and can't do, which also gives you an idea about their card strength.

5s and 4s stick out, since there are only so few of them. If you haven't seen them played for a while, and the card stack is low, you can assume someone is holding them.

It's a bad habit, I realize, but with so much spare time in the PBF format, it's hard to resist the temptation. However, keeping abreast of destiny is something I also try to do in FTF games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal Rex wrote:
It's a bad habit, I realize, but with so much spare time in the PBF format, it's hard to resist the temptation. However, keeping abreast of destiny is something I also try to do in FTF games.

Not necessarily a BAD habit, but it is a habit. I've done it, and it gives a certain amount of enjoyment to be able to predict with near certainty what the other players will do. It is also usually possible to pinpoint Cylons at an early stage.

The best and worst in this respect was my stint as Boomer in PBF BSG 31. Through pure analysis I was able to highlight both Cylons before the damage that they were doing was getting too high. The humans won that game, but if I hadn't been keeping records they would almost certainly have lost (the game was characterized as Brigstar Galactica, because at a certain point 4 players were in the Brig, and the last human was on his way there).

Afterwards, however, the two Cylons complained that the game was no fun this way. One of them actually stopped playing PBF BSG games altogether (hopefully not because of my card counting). Since then I have decided that if I keep track of players' cards, I am not going to discuss that anymore at all. I may use it for my own information, but I am not going to share it. And it seems that works well to keep the fun up for all players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  38 , 39 , 40 , 41 , 42  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.