Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
In late July last year, I had the pleasure of attending a Protospiel game design convention. In the last couple hours, while wrapping things up and considering our long trip home from Ann Arbor back to Milwaukee, one of the organizers of the event mentioned offhand that they had this quick, light, fun racing game that he hadn't had time to get on the table and get reviewed. With our last few minutes, we quickly grabbed a big group of people and threw down - what a lucky break! We had a great time and it was an easy sell to recommend to Minion Games that they take a chance on this one.

This one is on par in terms of complexity with things like Bang!, Bohnanza, or Citadels - but thematically it's a lot more fun. This is something that really struck me in the playtest. One player was a big fan of serious racing games and right away had lots of questions about how to interpret the action of the game - is this Daytona-style racing? Formula car? What? And I remember suggesting at the time that it seemed obvious to me that this was high speed, illegal, late night street racing like you might see in any number of neon glowing, bass thumping video games. And everyone quickly came around to loving it for those qualities.

The action of this card game is pretty simple. You have a little race car (more on that in a bit) that you are moving around the track and to represent the manuevering, you've got to play a track card from your hand as your piece crosses from one card to another. To change lanes, slam on the breaks, or hit the gas, it's the same thing - you have to discard cards from hand. So you've got to manage your speed to the cards you've got - and a damaged car gets less cards. And cars in first place get less cards. And you can ruthlessly cut off or block other racers, making them need more cards or take damage from the impact. But to really inject some excitement into the hand management and positioning, you can also play spare track cards with danger zones onto the track to further block easy driving. Lots of great high speed game play, but it's a thinking man's game of hand management and pushing your luck, too.

One of the elements I most enjoyed in this one was the use of a standard d10 as your car. The game should come with plenty to play, but I really looked forward to being able to shop around for the sexiest, tricked out, ground effects sporting d10 I could conjure out of a Chessex bin. Just a great bit of personalization you can bring to this game - racing your lucky d10 around the track.

And tracks are another great element of this game. There are lots of alternative tracks, built with the cards from the deck itself, that you can use to get all sorts of harder, easier, or just plain different races. This is going to add a lot of replayability to this one too and let's you customize how long you want the game to go. Check out some of the images in the gallery to check out the nice art and different layouts.

For a such a straight up, pedal to the floor game, this one really delivers both as a great game and thematic ace. It's going to be the perfect sort of thing to start or end the night's gaming - fast and fast paced.

If you have questions about this one, I'd be happy to answer them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cook
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Go Pack Go!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to trying this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would seem to me that it would be fun to grab a second copy of the game to add to the layout possibilities. Do you know if the game will be at GenCon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
It would seem to me that it would be fun to grab a second copy of the game to add to the layout possibilities. Do you know if the game will be at GenCon?

It has been confirmed. It will be for sale at Gencon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nolan
United States
Fort Scott
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this game, and I'm confused on how to set up the basic track.

Do the track cards overlap? If so, the card underneath has fewer squares, requiring a player to play a card to "cross" it more often than a card that isn't overlapped.

Otherwise, the rules seemed tight and fun.

I'm disappointed that the track set up doesn't say "pull x amount of red curves, three straight, and four yellow curves" to make it easier than squinting at the image in the rulebook.

I imagine playing this when there's nothing else to do and want to kill some time having some basic fun.

Most people ages 10 and up should be able to enjoy this game, though, and I'll try it with my pre-teen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb