Popular Tags: [View All]
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Not a real zombie.
Microbadge: Santorini fanMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Evolution fanMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
under setup, step#5:
Quote:
If playing with Call To Ars deployment
Rules...
I think you're missing a letter. Maybe an 'E' ?

It should probably be colored light blue too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: Star Control 2 fanMicrobadge: Colorado
Maybe it's a prelude to a Pirate expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
Our secrecy is our survival. Our survival is our strength.
badge
This is the way
Microbadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: C. H. SpurgeonMicrobadge: Audiobooks fanMicrobadge: Blitzkrieg!Microbadge: Today's Forecast: Cloudy
So, Justin, up for compiling an Adventure compendium?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: BattleGround: Fantasy Warfare fanMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan Microbadge: Dungeon-crawlerMicrobadge: BattleLore fan
Harrelson wrote:
So, Justin, up for compiling an Adventure compendium?
Thought about it. most of the maps in the online rulebooks are terribly low-rez, though, so I'd have to do a bunch of scanning myself. Add to that that most of our games are CtA, and its kind of low-priority.

I'm kind of looking at sprucing-up the CtA-style terrain cards (here in the files section), and formatting them so I can print them off in some blank playing card sheets I have, though.

Thanks for the typos, guys. I'll get them fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: Commands & Colors series fan
I am with you on that Justin,

I avoided BL for years because of the fantasy element, but was convinced to try it for the Scottish wars scenarios. Now I love it for CtA and Battle savvy.

I never bothered with the expansions apart from Call to Arms and 100 years wars, but I also like the Epic Format, I play that on my own board though.

Call to Arms generates most of my games with creatures representing a wild card and the rest being substituted with Human figures and Medieval rules.

I have not bothered to print any of the other scenarios as they are not A4 format and I don't own the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: BattleGround: Fantasy Warfare fanMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan Microbadge: Dungeon-crawlerMicrobadge: BattleLore fan
sigmazero13 wrote:
Maybe it's a prelude to a Pirate expansion?
Somehow missed this earlier. No, it's Latin (for Art). A reference to the new expansion Call to Ars, featuring Dwarven Painters and Goblin Mounted Interpretive Dancers.

All kidding aside, typos are fixed, files are finished. I never did get the graphics (scanner decided not to work) for the various terrain I'm missing, so we're going without them. I added in an appendix for common variants- Battle Savvy For Everyone, Medieval Lore, 6-player and Reluctant Allies, as well as Race-specific CtA deployment Mr. Borg was talking about on the FFG forums. I'm going to submit the files here in the next day or two, as well as contact FFG to host them on their site.

On that note, I saw a thread over on the BGG Claustrophobia forums about getting custom, full-color books printed on Lulu.com, and thought this might be a great outlet for that. Looking over that site, I find that they have a 6X9 option which I think would be ideal, but I've already created them in 8.5x11 and it's a PITA to change them. So, is there interest in me actually submitting them to Lulu at 8.5x11? and if so, would people like the perfect-bound thing, or an easier-to reference comb or spiral binding? Looks like cost is in the $20-25 range (!!)

Edited to add: Dan, I didn't get the compendiums in. The Creature Compendium was way out of date (predating the Troll and Creatures expansions), and I was trying to keep page count down, so I didn't want to bulk it up with the Lore compendium (a seperate page for every card! Oy vey), and it would have been a bit of work to bring all that info to my version of the file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Dice fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: I drink while I play gamesMicrobadge: Retrogamer
Hi Justin, if you plan on talking to FFG about hosting the book, why don't ask them about adding it to that new print-on-demand thingy? it seems fitting to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Microbadge: Chinchilla loverMicrobadge: Asgard's Chosen fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Hellboy fanMicrobadge: Neil Young fan
Awesome, This really needed to be done!

Here are some minor corrects.

Page 3: Epic highlight on "fifth" is gray.

Page 8: Left intentionally blank?

Page 18: 4 bullets, three examples.

Page 21: Your Heroes highlighting is offset.

Page 29, 30 & 36: Left intentionally blank?

Page 42: "wizard" should have a upper case "W".

Page 45: "Stronghold'sboost" should be two words.

Page 50: Long Bow: "Do not collect Lore Tokens, when used to move". The Code of Chivalry has new rules for Long Bows.

Page 54: "aarmed"

Page 55: "The elite of th elite"

I couldn't find the new Creature rules in this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: BuddhistMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: New York Rangers fanMicrobadge: Emerson, Lake & PalmerMicrobadge: Amateur Astronomer
Over on the Claustrophobia thread, somebody had all the online scenarios bound into a book at Lulu. The books cost @ $20 (US) including FedEx shipping. As long as he didn't make a profit on the books, the publishers had no problem with it. (In fact Croc, the designer, offered to help if he had any problem with permission - which he didn't.) This sounds like an excellent candidate for the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Galarneau
Canada
Trois-Rivieres
Quebec
flag msg tools
Microbadge: MYTH fanMicrobadge: Copper Folding@Home donatorMicrobadge: I love MeeplesMicrobadge: WFRP (Warhammer Fantasy Role-Playing) 3rd edition fan
It's a really great idea. I'm 100% with you on this.

I also did get the Claustro books from Lulu (About 17$ shipped to Canada for 2 books - 24 and 14 pages each, if I remembered well).

If you finish it before the end of May, we can use the may coupon code for a 20% rebates.

Thanks again. I' waiting for the latest edition with the latest correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Just an update, I still haven't heard back from FFG (other than their automated responses). Lulu project is done and uploaded- I have a direct link I'll be ordering for myself in the morning. The cost is 21.70 for a full-color, soft cover, perfect bound book (set to no profit to myself). If you want the direct link to the project, drop me an email.

As soon as I get the go-ahead from FFG, I'll be posting the files here, in the meantime, here are some rapidshare links for the final version of the book. These have the corrections Morgan mentioned above (or, at least the ones I hadn't already caught). That said, they aren't exactly like the lulu edition- that edition has the 'blank pages' Morgan mentioned replaced by the page-sized character sketches from the original BL rulebook. The blank pages were in there for continuity of design- the files below have had them removed, mostly.

EDIT:As Markus helpfully posted below, I screwed up the original download link for the big file. This has now been fixed. Teach me to post this stuff at 12:30 at night!

EDIT AGAIN: I've erased these links in favor of updated ones, below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Rathgeb
Germany
Erbach
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Shadows over Camelot fanMicrobadge: Among the Stars fanMicrobadge: Sirlin Games Yomi Contest participantMicrobadge: Sit Down! "Rockwell" Contest participantMicrobadge: Agricola fan
You've posted the delete code for the big file ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks, Markus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: Roll Player fanMicrobadge: Heroscape fan
Also found the following items if you're still in 'edit mode'

pg. 45 under Rock Pile, Special effect - "can throw boulders up to hree hexes'

The other thing I can't believe I missed the first time through was that the Goblin Slingers and Dwarven Cattle Rider rules are the old rules.

The update to the cards FFG put out are as follows:

Bull Riders:

Bull Rush -
When ordered by the Mounted Charge card, Cattle riders may move 3 hexes and still battle.

Raging Bull -
After a successful melee the only follow on actions Cattle riders may conduct are Gain Ground and Bonus Melee attack. Cattle riders on a bonus melee attack battle at +1d.

Goblin Slingers:

Spiked Shot -
When standing still (no movement) Spiked shot can be handled safely, which will increase the number of battle dice rolled by 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Sorry for the late reply. I told myself (and a couple people who emailed me) that I wasn't going to fix these things. I didn't have the time and I was going out of town for a few days. Now I'm back, and see that only one person has ordered the book off lulu (I have no way of tracking the downloads from rapidshare). So I went in and updated the lulu book with those edits, and finally ordered a copy myself. At this point, I promise there will be no more edits. I've spent enough time working on this thing.

After reading the claustrophobia book thread I referenced earlier, I see that there is a coupon for 25% off in May- that expires today. So, risking the wrath of FFG (I still haven't heard back from them), here's the lulu.com link for everyone:

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/battlelore-collec...

You can get it for a few bucks off if you order today using the coupon CYBERMAY.

Here's updated Rapidshare links:

https://rapidshare.com/files/1872113027/Battle_lore-_images....

Lite:
https://rapidshare.com/files/3154977384/Battle_lore.pdf

Again, I'll upload them here to BGG when I get the go-ahead from FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: BuddhistMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: New York Rangers fanMicrobadge: Emerson, Lake & PalmerMicrobadge: Amateur Astronomer
Justin,

I just ordered my book from Lulu. Thanks very much for all the work you put into this! I understand that these projects take on a life of their own, and what seemed like was going to be a week-long enjoyable activity inevitably becomes a real pain. (At which point you start to regret actually telling anybody you were doing it.) However, I think I reflect the feelings of many on the forum who appreciate your work.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: Roll Player fanMicrobadge: Heroscape fan
Justin,

Thank you for all the work on this and listening to us along the way. As Michael said, things like this can end up being more work than you intended so I hope we didn't but you too much.

I'm sending some Geek Gold your way however I don't think it really reflects the amount of work you did. Thanks again!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.Microbadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: xkcd fanMicrobadge: Ban DHMO!Microbadge: "I'm Magellan, a travelling mage. I notice your group has no wizard."
Lulu seems quite expensive in Germany, unfortunately. > 20 EUR, shipping included. So I will rather print it myself, although the Lulu book looks quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Callahan
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 06 RPGG posterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Geist - An Interactive Geek HorrorMicrobadge: Mountains of Madness - Lived to see another day...Microbadge: I have daringly delved into the Dungeon of Doom where dark denizens dwell
Having a reporposed French edition, this will take care of having to haul a laptop around. Thanks again for doing this and have some more bag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the thanks, everyone. Like I said before- this started as a project to make myself happy- the fact that y'all may get some use out of it is just icing on the cake. Though my last post may have sounded annoyed, it was actually a fun project. My annoyance was more that I'd missed so many little things. I know the files still aren't perfect- there's some the aforementioned terrain graphics missing, among some other nitpicky details. But they'll serve the purpose intended admirably, I think. Thanks for all the help.

That said, I just got my copy in the mail from lulu today, along with the Claustrophobia books. They're pretty damn nice. I was afraid they wouldn't have printed to the edge, or be blurry or something else, but they're bright and clean and seem really well made. here's some pics:
From gallery of quixotic

From gallery of quixotic

From gallery of quixotic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Excellent work. Bought one and tipped GG!!! Thank you.

*** Edited 7/14/11 ****

Just received my rules book from Lulu. I could not have printed out this quality for what Lulu charged. It's less than an inch thick and 81 pages long.

I printed out the pdfs of the updated manual and all the expansions and put them in protected plastic in a binder... it's four inches thick and weighs a ton. Of course that includes the scenarios but you get my point.

Thanks again!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Tricorne fanMicrobadge: Yaquinto fanMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
OgreKing wrote:
Excellent work. Bought one and tipped GG!!! Thank you.
I gave you 10 as well. What a great job. If there's anything you need going forward to help keep this up, I'm happy to help.

I had some ambitions to do something similar with C&C Ancients, but I stalled out on the project. Perhaps I'll take another look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Trupiano
United States
Ozone Park
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Rome demands BEAUTY! (Wood)Microbadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Adam Poots Games "Kingdom Death: Monster" Contest participantMicrobadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fan
If anyone is interested I have a coupon code for 25% off till July 29: TIME305. I just got it when I ordered The combined rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason wendling
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dungeons & Dragons player
Current coupon code is summerbooks.

Can anyone point me towards the scenario book that is available with a link?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi all, the rapid share links don't appear to work. Where can i find this file to print? thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |