Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And please don't misquote the value of the package when sending USPS. I got dinged for $40 in customs fees in a previous math trade because the sender made a mistake on the customs form, The sender said it contained 6 figures and was worth $50 but customs interpreted this as being worth $300 so it was an honest mistake on the senders part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I always make sure to ask for cheapest USPS shipping to Canada when I send/receive math trade requests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
johncraven wrote:
well, the $40 brokerage fee does not go to the sender, it is a fee that's charged by UPS. I've only had experience with USPS packages before, so both me and the sender were not aware of this charge.

this should be a lesson to others: do not use UPS to ship games to Canada!
Or Fedex. I am thinking a "USPS only" rule should be mentioned with USA->Canada packages.

/shrug
Yea, courier ground services (eg. UPS/FedEx Ground) charge disgusting brokerage fees. FedEx is almost worse than UPS because FedEx will bill you months later, rather than asking for it at the door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Sedalia
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
More updates from the front -- after emailing TMG, explaining the situation, and offering to pay shipping if they'd send a replacement, Michael got back to me swiftly, asked for pictures of the game, and then acknowledged it looked pretty bad and said he would replace it. So, good customer service there, and I'm very glad this trade resolved well for me.

(Sorry to hear you got hit with crazy international fees, Kaiwen.)
Great! There is a copy of the game at my FLGS on sale but I was wary of getting it in case it was messed up, so it's good to know that they will be accomodating if anything goes wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
this should be a lesson to others: do not use UPS to ship games to Canada!
hence the title of the thread...

WARNING!!! NEVER USE UPS TO SHIP TO CANADA

also see

Best way to ship to Canada from the US?

maybe these threads should be linked to in the math trade guide wiki? I only find them because I tagged them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
Yea, courier ground services (eg. UPS/FedEx Ground) charge disgusting brokerage fees. FedEx is almost worse than UPS because FedEx will bill you months later, rather than asking for it at the door.
One advantage with Fedex is that it appears the recipient does not have to pay the brokerage fee! I once received a package via Fedex, and a month later received a ~$20 invoice for the fee. I called Fedex and said I was not interested in paying this fee as I had not asked the sender to use Fedex (knowing the possibility of brokerage fees), and without hesitation they said it was no problem and they would bill the sender's account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Bazin wrote:
One advantage with Fedex is that it appears the recipient does not have to pay the brokerage fee! I once received a package via Fedex, and a month later received a ~$20 invoice for the fee. I called Fedex and said I was not interested in paying this fee as I had not asked the sender to use Fedex (knowing the possibility of brokerage fees), and without hesitation they said it was no problem and they would bill the sender's account.
That was not something that was offered to me when I contested the charges.

Hell, I recieved the first invoice and then got a 'past due' notice the next day. I was pretty livid at that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
Microbadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Piano fanMicrobadge: Tetris fanMicrobadge: I use BitcoinsMicrobadge: I play with green!
Damn... so apparently they're charging the sender $30 to send it back!

I don't want to give UPS the satisfaction of getting their "brokerage fees" though, so it looks like I'm not going to receive my game cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10  |