Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
Microbadge: “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.” — Anaïs NinMicrobadge: Red and White Ribbon (Lymphoma/Lymphadema Awareness)Microbadge: I support ArsenalMicrobadge: Wine drinkerMicrobadge: Peace and Tolerance
I just wanted to remind people to use the request list. I'd love to see some things I've requested out there. It would make me list some of my bigger guns, instead of just the little things I've added so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Care Bear GamerMicrobadge: I spend more time on BGG than playing games!Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Respect
I sure wish there were a way to show all the geeklist entries on one page, so you could do a browser search just once instead of once per page. Are there any secret hints to make geeklists more pleasant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: The League of Nonsensical Gamers fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Drive Thru Video Review fanMicrobadge: Captain America fan
peakhope wrote:
I sure wish there were a way to show all the geeklist entries on one page, so you could do a browser search just once instead of once per page. Are there any secret hints to make geeklists more pleasant?
Couldn't you CRTL+F on the OLWLG?

Edit: Oh, did you mean the request list? Nevermind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: US ArmyMicrobadge: Dice Hate MeMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: Train Gamer
Cannibal Ox wrote:
10. If you have been reported as a bad trader, do NOT try to participate. Any entries made will be removed.

Where are you checking to validate this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: My Games For Trade
RoamDog wrote:
Cannibal Ox wrote:
10. If you have been reported as a bad trader, do NOT try to participate. Any entries made will be removed.

Where are you checking to validate this?
I personally know of a few deadbeat asshole traders and a few others that people have geekmailed me to avoid. Plus I trust the word of the many veteran math traders here to call out any deadbeats who try to participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Alright everyone time to start getting your wantlists in. Deadline is Saturday morning at 11:00 AM EDT. Don't be late!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Updates will be posted periodically (time permitting) on the first page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: London fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Roll Player fanMicrobadge: Yedo fan
I forgot to post my copy of Mystery Rummy #2 was the US Game Systems, English version. I will not be submitting any want lists for this item due to my failure to be specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
Microbadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Yellow Ribbon (Support Our Troops)Microbadge: New York Mets fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Doctor Who fan
larryjrice wrote:
I forgot to post my copy of Mystery Rummy #2 was the US Game Systems, English version. I will not be submitting any want lists for this item due to my failure to be specific.
I do not see a problem with you submitting for this item. I would say you have the more desirable version (at least for us in the US). I for one, hope you submit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is my first math trade(woot) and I'm all set. I posted 7 games for trade and if I use them all in some form to get trades, what are the chances I will get multiple games? Obviously lots of games is fun, but my wife may kill me if all the sudden I have to ship out 6 games...but maybe she won't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge:  Microbadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: Photo Hall of Fame memberMicrobadge: I obsess over microbadge alignmentMicrobadge: I don't use microbadges
Somebody asked if my copy of Hive (Item #56) was the bakelite edition. Yes it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
Microbadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: Metroid fan
tacoSEVEN wrote:
This is my first math trade(woot) and I'm all set. I posted 7 games for trade and if I use them all in some form to get trades, what are the chances I will get multiple games? Obviously lots of games is fun, but my wife may kill me if all the sudden I have to ship out 6 games...but maybe she won't.
You'll receive as many items as you ship. If 3 of your items are involved in trade loops, you'll have to ship out 3 items and you'll get 3 back. You could wind up having multiple items go to the same person, which would be super awesome and convenient, but that would require a fair bit of luck.

In my experience, you won't likely have to worry about shipping out everything you put up unless you seriously undervalue your items in your want list or you posted very highly sought after items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
imyourskribe wrote:

In my experience, you won't likely have to worry about shipping out everything you put up unless you seriously undervalue your items in your want list or you posted very highly sought after items.
I realized the bit about shipping as much as I'm slated to receive, just wasn't sure how many typical pairings were made. Like out of the 2500 games how many would actually change hands. I just didn't know standard odds.

I actually think my games are probably not in super high demand and a few I'm after may be fairly highly sought after so me being picky may help. It's kind of addicting though. I could get in trouble with this down the line as trading is somehow more fun than playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Fort Mill
SC
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fanMicrobadge: Mechanical EngineerMicrobadge: BloggerMicrobadge: Casual wargamerMicrobadge: Malifaux Second Edition fan
Of course it will vary each time, but the last Math Trade I participated in April, also run by Cannibal Ox, the results were as follows:

Num Trades = 759 of 2726 items (27.8%)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: London fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Roll Player fanMicrobadge: Yedo fan
just be aware that if you select games from Canada, in many instances you will likely be paying around $20-30 in extra shipping costs. Just isn't cheap to ship across the border like it used to be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
Microbadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: Metroid fan
tacoSEVEN wrote:
I realized the bit about shipping as much as I'm slated to receive, just wasn't sure how many typical pairings were made. Like out of the 2500 games how many would actually change hands. I just didn't know standard odds.
Ah, sorry. I misunderstood your question. The 27.8% result that Michael pointed out is pretty close to the average I've seen recently. If you scroll down on the OLWLG home page to the "previous math trades" section, you can check the results summaries of old math trades. I don't think they have the nice top-level summaries, but you can see the % hit rate for each user in the trade. It's kind of fun to flip through.

Another interesting number about the last big math trade: Out of 341 users in the trade, 284 (83%) of them traded at least one item. This number tends to be pretty good, because many math trades (including this one) use the users-trading metric, which favors trade sets with more unique traders.

tacoSEVEN wrote:
It's kind of addicting though. I could get in trouble with this down the line as trading is somehow more fun than playing.
Yep. Be careful. When there's a math trade going on, I spend most of my evenings on official math trade business. When there's not a trade, I spend most of my evenings curled in the fetal position in the corner mumbling about want lists and overseas shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Sedalia
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gabriel Knight fanMicrobadge: Star Control 2 fanMicrobadge: I love Indian foodMicrobadge: X-Com fanMicrobadge: Heroes of Might and Magic fan
Jeez, over 600 items added in the last 12 hours before deadline. Got a lot to go through!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Oleksy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Implementing the Perfect Solution... to Counter Clipping!Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: Yucata.de playerMicrobadge: Roger's GMT P500 Geeklist fan
Damn it. I missed another deadline to post my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
Microbadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: King of ThriftersMicrobadge: Ebay fan
larryjrice wrote:
just be aware that if you select games from Canada, in many instances you will likely be paying around $20-30 in extra shipping costs. Just isn't cheap to ship across the border like it used to be...
Depends on the weight but if it's under 4 lbs, I can ship cheaper to Canada than I can to California
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Ricochet Robots fanMicrobadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Heart of CrownMicrobadge: Mystic Vale - Whatever it takesMicrobadge: Reef Encounters of the Second Kind fan
larryjrice wrote:
What does this mean? Who are you addressing? I'm curious about the "$20-30" extra costs. It isn't even $30 total to ship a game across the border unless it is extremely large.

I am in Canada and all of my games are free shipping to the US or Canada, so feel free to add any of my games to your list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
The last two times I have mistakenly selected a game from a person in Canada, I've had to pay $20 after $12 was deducted from shipping for Cleopatra's Caboose and then $14 after $10 was deducted for Havana. Some shippers (Canadian and USA) require full payment of shipping costs if they have to ship international. All that to say, just make sure you know the shipping policies of each game owner whose game you put on your list.

I know I can ship to Canada for much less if the weight is under 4 pounds, but that weight is easily exceeded by many games these days once you include the weight of the box and packing materials.

I can still ship much more cheaply to the East Coast from California if I use FedEx. I would, of course, never use anyone else other than USPS for shipping to Canada.

Dan - I appreciate your shipping policy, but must admit that I cannot afford to be as generous as you. I used to ship for free to Canada but very rarely any more unless it is a card game or something small and light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play games with my relativesMicrobadge: I Love the Star Realms League on BGGMicrobadge: Ice Cream lover - Häagen-DazsMicrobadge: Chick-Fil-A fanMicrobadge: I love Tennessee - The Volunteer State!
Crap! Forgot to include the altname for one of my items: (#2021). It was a rush to get things listed, late last night, a bit foggy, excuses excuses excuses. So, should I not submit a want list for this one or how does that work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Grand Austria Hotel fanMicrobadge: Rococo fanMicrobadge: Caylus fanMicrobadge: Yspahan fanMicrobadge: Epic Resort fan
dcorban wrote:
larryjrice wrote:
What does this mean? Who are you addressing? I'm curious about the "$20-30" extra costs. It isn't even $30 total to ship a game across the border unless it is extremely large.

I am in Canada and all of my games are free shipping to the US or Canada, so feel free to add any of my games to your list.
In my experience, it costs about twice as much to ship games to Canada than to the lower 48.

It apparently costs less for Canadians to ship here though, according to my Toronto friend.

It's all fun ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Video Game ProgrammerMicrobadge: I was trololol'ed in 2010Microbadge: Footbag fanMicrobadge: Adoptive parentMicrobadge: Winner of a Century Event at WBC
Hi, two quick questions:

Since "Metric=Users-Trading", does that mean there is no point in me assigning priorities/values to my wants (since it would ignore them)? Or does it actually use them but they're just less important than maximizing users?

Once I've submitted my want list and received the geekmail confirmation, I pretty much just wait for Saturday and find out where I need to send things right?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
godurmyall wrote:
Crap! Forgot to include the altname for one of my items: (#2021). It was a rush to get things listed, late last night, a bit foggy, excuses excuses excuses. So, should I not submit a want list for this one or how does that work?
You should be ok. Your entry just shows up as Outside the Scope of BGG in the OLWLG (as opposed to showing tags that you could have named yourself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |