Subject: Math Trade - Playoffs Edition - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Finke
United States
Cumming
Iowa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Veteran of a Foreign WarMicrobadge: 1846 fanMicrobadge: Of the Meeple, By the Meeple, For the MeepleMicrobadge: St. Louis Cardinals fanMicrobadge: St Louis Blues fan
mrbeankc wrote:
As much as I love OLWLG I still have trouble with the duplicate protection. Every time I do it I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
Think of it as trading one of your games for a Dummy Game, and then that Dummy Game gets traded for only 1 copy of the 10 listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: This, Jen, is the Internet.Microbadge: Mountains of Madness - The Eye of the GodsMicrobadge: I have daringly delved into the Dungeon of Doom where dark denizens dwellMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
mrbeankc wrote:
As much as I love OLWLG I still have trouble with the duplicate protection. Every time I do it I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
That's where the video tutorial (linked on the first entry) is invaluable. I had no idea what I was doing the first time, but the videos make it VERY easy.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/568078/math-trade-video-...

I just wish I could remove an item from my wantlist....it's not that big a deal, but would make it easier to skip an item I later decided I didn't want (or had added accidentally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Con of the North attendeeMicrobadge: Key-Series fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Wooden cube fan
Monkeyman wrote:
I just wish I could remove an item from my wantlist....it's not that big a deal, but would make it easier to skip an item I later decided I didn't want (or had added accidentally).
It will be removed if you type the word "delete" into the priority box (where you're normally putting numbers) and then click the "confirm changes" button.

I learned this just a couple math trades ago...it was an invaluable tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I beat my original list of 10 games for 2019 VGG challengeMicrobadge: Steam userMicrobadge: Good Old Games fanMicrobadge: PlayStation 4 fanMicrobadge: Nintendo Switch fan
Example:

Quote:
Puerto Rico El Grande Dummy

Agricola x
Agricola x
Dummy x x
Ra x

So in the example I want to trade Puerto Rico and El Grande. There's only one game of Ra but I don't want to trade El Grande for it. So I only mark it with Puerto Rico. Now there are two games of Agricola and I'm willing to trade El Grande or Puerto Rico for either one. However I don't want to get stuck trading both Puerto Rico and El Grande for two copies of Agricola. I still want to improve my chances to get it but don't want more than one. So I create a dummy item. For my dummy item I select that I'm trading it for both copies of Agricola. Also note that I don't mark that I want Agricola for Puerto Rico or El Grande. Instead I then mark that I want to trade Puerto Rico or El Grande for the dummy item. This will tell the system to trade Puerto Rico or El Grande for my dummy item which is then traded for one copy of Agricola. Since there is only one dummy item wanted for any copy of agricola it trades 1-for-1.

Now if I wanted to I could include Ra in the dummy item as well. Also remove it from the Puerto Rico and El Grande trade. This would mean I would only trade Puerto Rico or El Grande but not both. In return I would get one copy of Agricola or one copy of Ra.

Hope that makes sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: This, Jen, is the Internet.Microbadge: Mountains of Madness - The Eye of the GodsMicrobadge: I have daringly delved into the Dungeon of Doom where dark denizens dwellMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
justplainchips wrote:
Monkeyman wrote:
It will be removed if you type the word "delete" into the priority box (where you're normally putting numbers) and then click the "confirm changes" button.

Huh...who knew? Thanks for the tip! I'm sure it could be built in more simply for ease of use, but I'll have to remember that next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
Microbadge: Video Game ProgrammerMicrobadge: equalsMicrobadge: World of Tanks fanMicrobadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: Copper Reviewer
Bazin wrote:

You need to sync your collection.

The link to do so is right under the red notes text on the 'front page' of the OLWLG.
Monkeyman wrote:

You probably need to sync (or re-sync) your account info....there's a link on the home page of the OLWLG I believe.
Thanks guys! That is pretty slick. I should start maintaining my want list for that feature alone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Green Christian - we're all the stewards of EarthMicrobadge: Unity GamesMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Copper Folding@Home donatorMicrobadge: Christian
Re: Duplicate Protection. It's worth noting that the warning you get is just that - a warning; it will not stop you from submitting your lists. This is actually a good thing, because it lets you do some cool stuff in unusual situations. (If you're still confused about how basic duplicate protection works, skip the next paragraph, because I don't want to make it worse.)

A few trades ago I was proxying one game for a friend in my game group who's not a BGG user. We were both looking for Dominion: Seaside, and there were multiple copies in the trade. I set up a dummy item, then added the dummy item to the want lists of all my games, but had my friend's item want the actual D:S listed items. That way, in theory, we each could've gotten D:S, but I wouldn't have ended up with two copies. (I also had another proxy item in there with different wants than mine - that Step 4 screen was a sea of yellow boxes and red warnings before I was done )

justplainchips wrote:
[An item] will be removed if you type the word "delete" into the priority box (where you're normally putting numbers) and then click the "confirm changes" button.

This is worth repeating. That same trade was a large no-ship one, so I just added everything that looked interesting and culled from there - I really wish I'd known about the delete functionality before that. That's what I get for skipping the tutorials
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Care Bear GamerMicrobadge: I spend more time on BGG than playing games!Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Respect
One other tip on duplicate protection:

If you have a lot of wants, and especially if you also have a lot of items up for trade, the grid can get pretty large, which can make it slow and hard to work with. Adding duplicate columns can make it much worse. (There is a magic parameter you can pass that uses different UI techniques that can help with the speed, but I can't remember the parameter so I have to look it up every time).

Plus, once you have added a duplicate protection item, you can't remove it (unlike a normal item, as described above).

So I postpone adding duplicate protection until fairly late in the process, after I have narrowed down what I really want. Then I only create duplicate protection for items that I actually have in multiple want lists.

Just be sure not to forget, and to triple-check, before you actually submit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
Monkeyman wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
That's where the video tutorial (linked on the first entry) is invaluable. I had no idea what I was doing the first time, but the videos make it VERY easy.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/568078/math-trade-video-...

Great video. Thanks for the link! I always do it right in the end but I am always afraid I'm doing it wrong so the video will be a useful tool for refreshing my memory.

This trade I actually didn't have to use dupe protection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: US ArmyMicrobadge: Dice Hate MeMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: Train Gamer
peakhope wrote:
One other tip on duplicate protection:

If you have a lot of wants, and especially if you also have a lot of items up for trade, the grid can get pretty large, which can make it slow and hard to work with. Adding duplicate columns can make it much worse. (There is a magic parameter you can pass that uses different UI techniques that can help with the speed, but I can't remember the parameter so I have to look it up every time).

Plus, once you have added a duplicate protection item, you can't remove it (unlike a normal item, as described above).

So I postpone adding duplicate protection until fairly late in the process, after I have narrowed down what I really want. Then I only create duplicate protection for items that I actually have in multiple want lists.

Just be sure not to forget, and to triple-check, before you actually submit.
Would you mind posting that magic bullet? My grid seems to be breaking my system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: My Games For Trade
One more update posted on the first page. Still waiting on lots of users to get their wantlists in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
HauRuck wrote:
If your like most people and only try to trade up your games along the lines of Zombie Fluxx for multiple listings of games likeStar Wars: The Queen's Gambit then you do not need to worry about duplicate protection.
LOL! My strategy generally is to try and get a game that will get on the table. I had planned to put Brass: Lancashire up hoping for a copy of Letters from Whitechapel in this math trade. I changed my copy of Brass to "for trade" and within hours someone sent me a trade proposal for that very trade so no Brass for me this math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Care Bear GamerMicrobadge: I spend more time on BGG than playing games!Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Respect
RoamDog wrote:
peakhope wrote:
There is a magic parameter you can pass that uses different UI techniques that can help with the speed, but I can't remember the parameter so I have to look it up every time.
Would you mind posting that magic bullet? My grid seems to be breaking my system.
Took me about an hour (literally) to find it. Jeff: Can you PLEASE put this in the OLWLG FAQ, and maybe elsewhere? I still think a New Style button on the step 4 page would be awesome.

Basically, add this to the end of your step 4 URL:
&newstyle=1

No plugins required, but I think it requires javascript. Looks like it works fine with Firefox 4.01 (I only looked, and didn't actually try to click anything since my wantlist is exactly as I want it).

Here is the message describing it:
newstyle Re: Math Trade Online Want List Generator (OLWLG) - Discussion, Problem Report, etc thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
HauRuck wrote:
If your like most people and only try to trade up your games along the lines of Zombie Fluxx for multiple listings of games likeStar Wars: The Queen's Gambit then you do not need to worry about duplicate protection.
I've given up pretending to understand the $$ value of something. I figure, if someone wants mine, and I can be a part of a chain that gets me something I want too, then bring it on. Sometimes that means a trade down if all I have is excellent trade fodder, and sometimes that means a trade up...

(I say that knowing I won't put up my copy of Ticket to Ride Switzerland for a copy of Coloretto, but give or take $10 or so in "value" is fine...)

The value of a game collecting dust on my shelf is greatly reduced compared to the game on the table getting some play time...

Therein lies the magic of the Math Trade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
peakhope wrote:
RoamDog wrote:
peakhope wrote:
There is a magic parameter you can pass that uses different UI techniques that can help with the speed, but I can't remember the parameter so I have to look it up every time.
Took me about an hour (literally) to find it. Jeff: Can you PLEASE put this in the OLWLG FAQ, and maybe elsewhere? I still think a New Style button on the step 4 page would be awesome.
It's a wiki so anyone can edit it

Also note that I don't normally follow the MT discussion threads anymore, I just happen to be curious how the MT is going since I submitted my wants early for a change

justplainchips wrote:
Monkeyman wrote:

Note that is in the OLWLG Wiki (click "help" link on almost all pages within the OLWLG to get to it easily).

Also note that there are no "priority" boxes in the OLWLG... the OLWLG does not deal with priorities, it only controls ordering which is why the OLWLG calls them "values".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Gilby wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

Re: Dungeon Twister, I am not sure how to tell which edition I have, but based on the advice in this thread I believe I have the second edition. The SKU on the box is DT01US. If there is another way to tell I would be happy to check.
DT01US is the SKU on the 1st printing as well. Check the picture of the board on the back of the box. If the lower right room is green, you have the 1st printing. If the lower right room is gray, you have the second printing.
Thank you very much for that clarification! I will check when I get home from work today.
The game is the second edition by your method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
JeffyJeff wrote:
peakhope wrote:
It's a wiki so anyone can edit it
Done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Get your finger out of my face!
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Nikon userMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fanMicrobadge: Box FartMicrobadge: Hey everybody! Today Rahdo runs through...
peakhope wrote:
&newstyle=1
Very cool little tip. I like the new visual style and usability, but the checks don't seem to work with my CheckBoxMate FF plugin to drag-check numerous boxes at once, which is a HUGE plus when trading several games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
I just re-read my post for The Omega Virus. I make it sound like it's about to shrivel up and blow away (probably owing to the fact I'll be sad to see it go).

It's in great shape... Just some frayed corners... Not even enough damage to think about repairing it. everything inside the box except the insert is in great shape.

Just in case one of you human scum were wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Disc Golf fanMicrobadge: Scala programmerMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: HERO System fan
Item 1883 has a non-compliant shipping policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Under 2 hours to go. Still waiting on 20 users to get their wants in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Spiel fanMicrobadge: CascadianMicrobadge: Hartford Yard Goats fanMicrobadge: Garrett's Games and Geekiness fanMicrobadge: I speak Spiel
Trade List submitted with 26 seconds to spare!

My excuse: My wife kept up up late hunting a geocache in a tree above a creek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
richtoosoon wrote:
Trade List submitted with 26 seconds to spare!

My excuse: My wife kept up up late hunting a geocache in a tree above a creek.
Ummmm... you're off by an hour (there's still around 40 minutes to go).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Spiel fanMicrobadge: CascadianMicrobadge: Hartford Yard Goats fanMicrobadge: Garrett's Games and Geekiness fanMicrobadge: I speak Spiel
Better than I thought, then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
MikeTuna wrote:
peakhope wrote:
&newstyle=1
Very cool little tip. I like the new visual style and usability, but the checks don't seem to work with my CheckBoxMate FF plugin to drag-check numerous boxes at once, which is a HUGE plus when trading several games.
which is a big reason why I have not integrated it yet as standard olwlg functionality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [10] |