Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brand new preview from spanish publisher webpage :

Translation :

Frodo Baggins

Hero / Hobbit

Response : After Frodo Baggins takes damage, cancel all damage taken and increase your Threat by the ammount of damage that was inflicted. Limit once per phase.

Interesting new Spirit Hero coming in the second card pack expansion (Conflict at the Carrock). Personnally find it more interesting than Bilbo. And the Threat level seems about right. Hope they change Bilbo´s one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert
Poland
flag msg tools
Wow, another hobbit hero in another expansion. Now I know I must get the second adventure pack too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for this.

Seems odd to me (having been so used to Baggins over the past 30 years+) that Baggins has been translated to Bolson. Would have thought it should be kept the same (unless it means something rude.)

In the book does Gollum say "Bolsonses" as opposed to "Bagginses"
And is Bag End, Bols End?

that's all the vague references I can think of for now

Interesting card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m b
Switzerland
flag msg tools
In german, the Baggins are called "Beutlins"
"Bag" can be translated to the german "Beutel" and Bilbo therefore lives in "Beutelsend".

I never read the english books but I always wondered whether the english name would by "Bags End"... it actually is!?! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In France, it's "Sacquet" ("sac" is the french world for bag) and the village is called "Cul-de-Sac", which is idomatic for "dead-end" and still relates to "sac".
What puzzles me is why on earth would the french translator chose to name the heroes "Frodon" and "Bilbon" instead of "Frodo" and "Bilbo"...
--
Buggy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikeybb wrote:
Thanks for this.

Seems odd to me (having been so used to Baggins over the past 30 years+) that Baggins has been translated to Bolson. Would have thought it should be kept the same (unless it means something rude.)

In the book does Gollum say "Bolsonses" as opposed to "Bagginses"
And is Bag End, Bols End?

that's all the vague references I can think of for now

Interesting card.

No worries, he still is and always will be a Baggins.

Bolsón is the spanish translation of Baggins (being Bag = Bolsa). Bag Ends is "Bolsón Cerrado" in spanish (Bag closed litterally translated).

Original spanish version of the book translated some of the names (the ones that also can have a meaning in english, or remind something) and they kept the translation here as well. I usually don´t like this translation fever, but in this case (LOTR books) I admit is quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How old was Frodo at the end of the Hobbit? And yes, the english name is Bag's End. The dutch translation is Frodo/Bilbo Balings, and the name of the house is balingshoek, which would translate to bag's corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
badge
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the fascinating info on the different translations.
And ace spot on the preview, Acer! Interesting new mechanic there. At first glance I thought he looked as useless as Bilbo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m b
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Infyra wrote:
How old was Frodo at the end of the Hobbit? And yes, the english name is Bag's End. The dutch translation is Frodo/Bilbo Balings, and the name of the house is balingshoek, which would translate to bag's corner.

At the end of the hobbit, Frodo was not born yet. I just read it last week and started the lord of the rings this weekend.

When Bilbo celebrates his 111 birthday (beginning of lord of the rings) Frodo is 33 years old.

He is 50 when he leaves the shire.
I'm sure, I just read this yesterday. This is why I'm always puzzled when people say the card game takes place between the hobbit and lord of the rings.

Gandalfs Hunt for Gollum for example takes place between Frodos 33 (and Bilbos 111) birthday and when Frodo leaves the shire approx. 17 years later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooooooool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Is this card way more awesome than I first thought? Can Frodo take 6 damage and convert that into threat or does he have to actually be able to take the damage without dying (and then it's turned into threat)?

What happens with a Hill Troll, if that's the case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m b
Switzerland
flag msg tools
You first take damage. then actions. If the hill troll attacks frodo, he's dead. You cannot heal him anymore.

edit: but then, its a response, not an action...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Franco
Colombia
Envigado
Antioquia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is no bad the little Hobbit....and only cost 7...mmm I take it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Can anyone translate the flavor text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imnotyou wrote:
You first take damage. then actions. If the hill troll attacks frodo, he's dead. You cannot heal him anymore.

It is a response with cancel in it so you can trigger it before he would die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BuddhaBob74 wrote:
Can anyone translate the flavor text?

Sure thing.

"Frodo began to feel restless, and the old paths seemed too well-throdden. He looked at maps, and wondered what lay beyond their edges."

The Fellowship of the Ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
imnotyou wrote:

It is a response with cancel in it so you can trigger it before he would die.

I agree. Also note the limit is onece per phase, not per round. So he can cancel damage taken in Quest phase by some encounter cards, for example, and then defend against some enemy attack and cancel again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Day
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Nice art, interesting mechanic for the Spirit deck. I can see it being used more to shed non-combat damage from sources like Treachery cards or the Dol Gildur one-damage-per-turn condition.

Interesting note on the various names of Frodo and Bilbo's family and homestead: Tolkien chose 'Bag End' to poke fun at the term 'cul de sac', which has the same meaning in French. He was irritated that Anglophones take an ordinary term from French and use it in place of perfectly good English words. (The joke doubles up when Tolkien introduces Bilbo's cousins from the west of the Shire, who of course live in French-sounding Sackville.) It appears Tolkien's various translators have attempted to retain the "Baggins" joke by creating names with the same root meaning translated into the host language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Spirit is my favorite sphere, and this further cements that sentiment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evlar wrote:
I can see it being used more to shed non-combat damage from sources like Treachery cards or the Dol Gildur one-damage-per-turn condition.

Or some future card/attachment with similar effect to the Key from Dol Guldur....a Ring, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snailien wrote:
What happens with a Hill Troll, if that's the case?
I'm curious about this, too. I guess that since he's technically absorbing the Troll's entire attack, you only add the threat once (rather than twice: once for Frodo's response text, and once for the Troll's text).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tjho more hobbits....yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumpy Nose wrote:
While I like the card (and the cool effect), I am a little surprised at the art. After all, they changed the art on the Legolas card because it was too "Orlando Bloom-ey". Here, Frodo looks very "Elijah Woods-ey".

Is the final card art?

Dumpy
Maybe he was just the perfect actor for the role--ever thought about that? HUH!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert
Poland
flag msg tools
imnotyou wrote:

I'd say you are right. A character has to be alive in order to activate his response ability. Moreover, the card says "after Frodo Baggins takes damage".
The way I see it:
1. Frodo takes 2 damage or more.
2. He instantly dies.
3. After he takes damage there is no Frodo with us any more so the ability can not be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
hewer wrote:
imnotyou wrote:

I'd say you are right. A character has to be alive in order to activate his response ability. Moreover, the card says "after Frodo Baggins takes damage".
The way I see it:
1. Frodo takes 2 damage or more.
2. He instantly dies.
3. After he takes damage there is no Frodo with us any more so the ability can not be played.
Recall the discussion pertaining to the Chieftan's ability and the word "after" therin. He gets an attack boost after he attacks, but before the attack is resolved. If this is true, Frodo's response is likely meant to be activated after the damage is taken but before it is resolved.

Something like that.

I mean, quite frankly, it would be a useless power if this wasn't the case. At least in this way, Frodo can survive strong attacks, but if you abuse his power, your threat is going to go way up, way fast--and you'll fail pretty fast as a result. Therefore, I think the interpretation of the ability not only makes sense but is quite balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |