Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, can anyone explain what was involved in making those amazing custom 3D tracks?

I'm not sure if I'd be happy or sad if they were for sale, because they'd probably be expensive and I'd probably buy. But I'd love to see how it was done. Really quite impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Atomik did these, but I have not seen the method. They are amazing, and I try not to gape at them too often!

There are also carpet giant boards that appear from time to time, which may be cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I thought this was homemade by someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Graham
United Kingdom
Goudhurst
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a google for model train layouts, lots of info on how to build these sort of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas FAIVRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's homemade

I have used the same technics as for many wargames battle boards and terrain pieces and it's very similar to train layouts.

The main relief is made with polystyren (isolation panel is fine). To add a "rocky effect", I use some pine barcks that are glued at different point of the hills. As the barks don't perfectly fit to one another, you have to fill the gaps between each ones. To do so, I use some modelling material (called Plastiroc in France) that is air hardening. This modelling material is a fantastic tool as it is very cheap and it can be sanded once dry and sculted or shapped during long minutes before it dries. In my hill, I firstly fill the gaps and then, using a sculpting tool, I have added some "striation" so that you can't tell once painted where it is pine bark or modelling material. Believe me, it is very funny and easy to do. Be sure to humidify the modelling material before sculpting but once it is done, you can make one hill in just few minutes. Once the modelling material has dried (it may take one night) you can paint it. It may occure that some "crack" appear on you modelling material once it has dried, the most often if you have used lots of it or to fill big gaps. It is not really a problem as you can fill these cracks easily using once more modelling material (almost liquid by adding water)or filler.

The buildings are made with Lego pieces and some cardboard for the roofs. The vegetation is classic train model material.

Lots of painting works, time, patience, and it's yours

Gaz ! Gaz !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls