mbmbmbmbmb
This is Josh:

Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Josh Edwards is a good guy. He loves his games and writes a decent review, many of which you can find over at his site: http://www.boardgamereviewsbyjosh.com/ You can also find him on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/bgjosh where he broke some pretty crappy news earlier today.

Josh and his family live in a town called Joplin, Missouri. This weekend, a tornado swept through the town and wrecked homes and lives, literally turning families upside down. Josh's family are - thankfully - safe, but he's lost his home and (some would say more importantly) his entire games collection.

Here on BGG, we're a good crowd. We come together to help our Geeky brethren. I reckon now is one of those times we should pull together as a team and help out Josh. I'm not saying we all head down to Joplin and build him a house - I fear many of us would be quite terrible at that - but I reckon we could make a decent stab at restoring his gaming collection to its former glory once Josh and his family are settled in a new home.

I may be a few thousand miles away on the wrong side of the Atlantic, but if Josh is happy to put together a wishlist I'll be happy to buy him something off it. As well as that, anyone know of any games companies out there willing to help?

Let's show Josh how good BGG can be.

edit: Josh has now provided an address to send games to. More details can be found in the comments below, but he'd like to ramp this up into a drive to help out more than just him. Games of all kinds can be sent to

Josh Edwards
c/o Changing Hands Book Shoppe
528 S. Virginia Ave
Joplin, MO 64801

Again, thank you to everyone for your generous offers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. thumbsup

Perhaps someone in state or nearby could receive offered games until Josh is settled?

Sorry we can't rebuild a house, but every little helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely all in. Thanks for posting this, Michael. Josh is one of the nicest and most enthusiastic gamers I've had the pleasure of getting to know in the past year. My heart goes out to him and his family - at least they are all safe. The pictures of the devastation I've seen so far have been horrifying.

W. David MacKenzie from Clever Mojo Games stated on Twitter that he has a couple of games still in wrap that he could send on to Josh. I imagine that we could all contribute at least a game or two, and contact some people we know at other publishers to see if they could help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerri Mullis
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I would donate one of my games or purchase something to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the spirit folks. Go Team BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rivera
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
LUCHADOR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I am in for our brother Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerri Mullis
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure there are several other families with the same problem, maybe a master list combined (ie donation auction?)could reach out to many in need. I again am happy to donate to all that we can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do we reckon - a two fold approach? An auction geeklist for a Joplin charity plus donations of games for Josh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rivera
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
LUCHADOR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought or 2

Hopefully their insurance will cover them so we need to be guided by Josh as to his specific needs - could be there is a high deductible and an auction might be better for him and his family

It would be great if the likes of the larger game companies stepped up to the plate early on this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mrivera wrote:
Just a thought or 2

Hopefully their insurance will cover them so we need to be guided by Josh as to his specific needs - could be there is a high deductible and an auction might be better for him and his family

It would be great if the likes of the larger game companies stepped up to the plate early on this...

Josh mentioned quickly last night that he thought insurance might cover some, but I don't know the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he's looking to replace what he had, there are several games in his collection that are on my trade pile, so I'll happily help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've messaged him on Twitter to have a look in here and basically tell us what he needs. We'll help however we can, however he wants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall there was a game store on Main Street, that may have gotten wrecked, too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? If they're still standing, anyone buying stuff could get it through them... it'd help out the FLGS owner too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rivera
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
LUCHADOR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, drop a note to the BGG admins to get this pinned in the announcements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
idlemichael wrote:
Really? If they're still standing, anyone buying stuff could get it through them... it'd help out the FLGS owner too!

http://www.changinghandsjoplin.com/

My guess is they won't be answering email anytime soon. Interesting store--half game store, half used bookstore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this on Twitter when I head about Josh's situation, but I'm happy to chime in here too...

Josh, I'me very happy that you and your family are ok. When you're ready to restock your game collection I've got unopened copies of Tikal and Ravenloft tucked away with your name on them. If Alien Frontiers is available again then, I'll add that to the list as well.

p.s. I lived in Nebraska for four years as a kid and have more than a passing acquaintance with tornados, myself. Scary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary horder
England
leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats just a major shame, im new to the forum and have not come across the gentleman in question but he seems to have the respect of the community. I will keep an eye on this thread and see if a way for international members to help comes about ( paypal etc ) good wishes go to him and his family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
idlemichael wrote:

...Josh and his family live in a town called Joplin, Missouri. This weekend, a tornado swept through the town and wrecked homes and lives, literally turning families upside down. Josh's family are - thankfully - safe, but he's lost his home and (some would say more importantly) his entire games collection...

Michael —

My two cents:

Great idea. Please turn this effort into a geeklist, indicating the top 20 games Josh lost. Then, people can donate the game in question. Also, provide his e-mail address, so we can send paypal donations. You might also consider soliciting for a geek local to his area, who wasn't affected, who is willing to act as a shipping destination.

I'm in, if you'll start the geeklist.

FoF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh and his family are currently getting themselves sorted and he said he'll post in here as soon as he's got a moment. Once he's stated how he'd like to proceed, we can move on from there. I like the idea of a geeklist of games he'd like to get/replace, but the decision is down to him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary horder
England
leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dam, just seen a report on Sky news here in the UK its pretty devastating the whole town is flattened
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best place to follow this is the Springfield News-Leader, the biggest newspaper in the area (Joplin's paper not having nearly the capacity right now):

http://www.news-leader.com/

Many harrowing pictures. The whole city isn't flattened, but big enough chunks of it are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary horder
England
leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alfredhw wrote:
The best place to follow this is the Springfield News-Leader, the biggest newspaper in the area (Joplin's paper not having nearly the capacity right now):

http://www.news-leader.com/

Many harrowing pictures. The whole city isn't flattened, but big enough chunks of it are.

Sorry didnt mean to be so dramatic, the video we are seeing here just shows the hit areas obviously, still not good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found this footage of the Joplin disaster...words fail me. Glad Josh and his family are ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv3COQ6gv-8&sns=em

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a warehouse that needs to be cleaned out, and we have someone that needs games. Rather than paying to ship this stuff across the country to sit in my other warehouse, I'd like to offer some incentives to order from Boards & Bits' Washington warehouse.

First, for orders placed in Washington and sent directly to Josh, I will reduce your price for the games to 5% above my cost (it would be cost, but I could use help covering the shipping). I will issue a coupon for the difference between the original price and the reduced price to the purchaser. Please mention "For Josh" in the checkout comments and we'll make sure the order gets to him.

I would also recommend that someone start a geeklist where people can post what they are sending, so that Josh doesn't get too many duplicates!

For all other orders placed in Washington, I will issue a 10% coupon based on the cost of the games that can be used to place orders in either Washington or Ohio. Please mention the code "WA10" in the checkout comments.

This offer is not retroactive, so please don't ask.

I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, so if something doesn't quite work right, I'll do my best to fix it. But be advised things may change at any time.

Our best wishes to Josh, his family, and everyone else that has lost anyone and/or anything in the tornadoes!

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com

• [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.