Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The largest WoW match ever - by now

Mucca Games, Tarquinia (Italy), 22nd of May 2005, h. 11.30 am local time

Scenario: "War is a big mess", designed for the occasion - all the A fighters and B/B two seaters that can fly in a huge dogfight.

Rules: basic rules only. Explosion cards have been left in the damage decks - 6 A ones and a B.

Materials: 6 copies of "WoW - Famous Aces" (5 would have been enough anyway) and 1 copy of "WoW - Watch your back!" (a H deck has been obtained from a B deck taking away 3 cards)

Players: 22, 11 per side. 5 females (22,8%), 17 males (77,2%). A few rookies, mostly experienced airmen and airwomen (where "experienced" means at least a game of WoW played in the past), a very few real veterans.

Previous record: 13 people, 7th and 8th of May 2005 at the first "Weekend eno-gastro-ludico" ("Wine-food-gaming Weekend") in Bossolasco (Italy).

Airplanes and pilots:

Allied
SPAD XIII Captain Edward Vernon Rickenbacker 94th Aerosquadron U.S. Air Service: Eligio Cazzato
SPAD XIII Capitaine René Paul Fonck Spa 103 Aviation Militaire: Paolo Porfiri
SPAD XIII Capitaine Georges Guynemer Spa 3 Aviation Militaire: Giampaolo De Rossi
SPAD XIII Maggiore Francesco Baracca 91^ Squadriglia Regio Esercito: Gabriele Falcioni
SPAD XIII Captain Harvey Weir Cook 94th Aerosquadron U.S. Air Service: Francesca Igliozzi
Sopwith Camel Flight Sub-Lieutenant Aubrey Beauclerk Ellwood 3 Naval Royal Naval Air Service: Giorgia Pandolfo
Sopwith Camel Lieutenant Stuart Douglas Culley Experimental Centre of Martlesham Heath Royal Air Force: Roberta Barletta
Sopwith Camel Major William George Barker 66 Squadron Royal Flying Corps: Sergio Roscini
Sopwith Camel Lieutenant Jan Olieslagers 9me Escadrille de Chasse Aviation Militaire: Monica Bellachioma
Sopwith Triplane Lieutenant Colonel Raymond Collishaw 10 Naval Royal Naval Air Service: Mauro Mucci
Hanriot HD1 Tenente Silvio Scaroni 76a Squadriglia Regio Esercito: Richard Doni

Central Powers
Albatros D.Va Leutnant Ludwig Weber Jasta 84 Luftstreitskräfte: Stefano Rotondi
Albatros D.Va Leutnant Hans Böhning Jasta 79b Luftstreitskräfte: Mauro Artigiani
Albatros D.Va Oberleutnant Ernst Udet Jasta 37 Luftstreitskräfte: Edgardo Bellini
Albatros D.Va Vizefeldwebel Kurt Jentsch Jasta 61 Luftstreitskräfte: Francesca Gaddini
Sopwith Camel Oberleutnant Otto Kissenberth Jasta 23 Luftstreitskräfte: Pietro Cremona
Fokker Dr.I Rittmeister Manfred von Richthofen Jasta 11 Luftstreitskräfte: Giulio Cremona
Fokker Dr.I Leutnant Fritz Kempf Jasta 2 “Boelcke” Luftstreitskräfte: Giampiero Saccomandi
Fokker Dr.I Leutnant Arthur Rahn Jasta 19 Luftstreitskräfte: Silvio De Pecher
Fokker Dr.I Leutnant Werner Voss Jasta 29 Luftstreitskräfte: Daniele Lostia
Ufag C.I - - Kaiserliche und Koenigliche Luftfahrtruppen: Luca Coppola
Ufag C.I - Flik 23/D Kaiserliche und Koenigliche Luftfahrtruppen: Valerio Cassiano

Reserve planes: if you want to beat the record, the sixth copy of "WoW - Famous Aces" would allow to fly one more SPAD (Ruffo di Calabria) and two more two seaters among Cadbury's B/B DH.4 and the two left UFAGs. One more copy of "WoW - Watch your back!" would allow to fly another two seater and Fucini's A firing Hanriot.

Referee: Andrea Angiolino from Rome (Italy).

Setup: a table maybe 4/4,50 meters large and about 80 cm deep. Central Power planes on one long side and Allied ones on the opposite one, equally spaced among them.

Goal: be the owner of the table when all enemies have been cleared out somehow.

Game report: at the first turn, both sides went head along against the other and first bullets have been shooted. The flaming explosions of unlucky Rickenbacker's SPAD at the first damage card drawn was the sign that it was no sunday picnic - things were going to be deadly serious. While at the center of the table a couple of fierce melee were engaged, at the southernmost part of the front (the right of the German formatoon) the two UFAGs and Jentsch' Albatros shot down Baracca's SPAD around the 5th turn. Scaroni's Hanriot then headed toward the center of the battle. Cook's SPAD was left alone and after a quick couple of shots followed him: they were both chased by the three enemdies. At the center Voss' Dr.I was eliminated by an explosion card at the 6th turn (even if accumulated damaged would not allow it to stay in the sky for so much time more), while at the 7th turn, in the northernmost part of the front, Culley's Camel was eliminated because of accumulated damage and Olieslagers' one exited from the table by mistake. Barker's Camel followed soon after, leaving that portion of sky to Richthofen, Rahn and Kissenberth who headed toward the center. At the 8th turn Udet's Albatros exploded while Collishaw's Triplane was shattered into pieces by the crossfire of an Albatros, a captured Camel and two Dr.Is at the same time. Ellwood's Camel crashed because of too much damage at the 9th turn, Guynemer's SPAD at the 10th and Fonk's SPAD almost at the same time. At the 11th turn Scaroni's Hanriot got the last fatal damage points from the front machinegun of a UFAG. Cook's heroic SPAD was left alone against 9 German and Austrian planes, most of them really tattered but still flying - and firing: after a little more fierce fighting it was shot down around the 13th turn.

Final score: 11 victories to 2 for the Central Powers. 4 planes were destroyed by an explosion card (30,8%), 8 by accumulated damage (61,5%) and one left the table by mistake (7,7%).

Most unlucky player: Eligio Cazzato, who took an explosion card as the first single damage card drawn at the very first turn.

Most lucky player: Richard Doni. All the first five planes shooting at him jammed their guns. Only the 6th one, an UFAG with a single machinegun, managed to hit him without jamming - and it shot down him.

Most shot down player: Daniele Lostia, only Central Power pilot to be shot down - but twice. Lost his plane at the 6th turn because of an explosion card, he was soon back into play to replace Edgardo Bellini who had to leave because of a contemporary contest of word games somewere else. At the first damage taken with the new plane, he drew another explosion.

Best Central Powers pilot: hard to say. At least 4 of them claimed 3 victories each, of course shared with others. All the team fought fiercely and bravery was quite common among them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James G.
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad that you pulled off a second large game Andrea!!! We are still working on rescheduling ours. Unfortunatly i don't think we can match yours in scale, as there are only 5 sets floating between the group of us who play (and 4 of them are mine ). Will get pix when we play.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh... sorry! You'd need just one more to reach 24 planes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I skipped the last lines:

Best Allied pilot: Francesca Igliozzi, that was the last to be shot down after uninterrupted fighting from the start to the end of the game. She fiercely refused to leave the table even if outnumbered 9:1 and left the field of battle with honor - even if nose down toward the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like fun. We need something like this over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the challenge by Mucca Games has been taken seriously, and The Largest Wings of War/Glory Game ever has become a real craze all over the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.