Louis Perrochon
msg tools
designer
publisher
Designer of "Startup Fever"
badge
Designer of "Startup Fever".
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a PnP version of Startup Fever.

Undead Viking just posted a video review that gives you a great description of the game and its many components.

The challenge I have is around components. Startup Fever requires a lot of them. I am looking for some ideas here. Chickpeas is one way to go

If you are a PnP fan, please check my PnP out and let me know what you think. Right now I suggest the following:

====
Startup Fever requires a lot of components. You will need 100 money, 50 nerds, 50 suits, 6 Big Nerds and 6 Big Suits. Before you proceed, please figure out what you want to do about these components. You really don't want to cut 200+ little pieces out of paper, and even if you do, the lightest breeze will ruin your game. So you should source those pieces from somewhere else. Here are some suggestions for a cheap, home-made approach:

 100 money: e.g. white 8mm cubes or chickpeas (garbanzo beans)

 50 Nerds: e.g. yellow 8mm cubes

 50 Suits: e.g. yellow 8mm cubes

 6 Big Nerds: e.g. yellow meeples, Lego blocks

 6 Big Suits: e.g. green meeples, Lego blocks

 36 product markers: e.g. 3 cylinders each in 12 colors, lego blocks, or 36 one color cylinders with letters A..K written with a sharpie.

 1 d6 die. Raid some other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Louis,

I was looking at backing Startup Fever, in fact, I was just signing up for a new account as mine is a non US account.

I'm a little surprised you are offering a PnP version of the game.

Could you explain the difference in the PNP version and the retail version.

Also, do you think it is fair to release a PNP version when (correct me if I am wrong) it doesn't state you will be releasing a PNP version on the kickstarter page?.

Just caught me completely off guard to be honest.

Konig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Perrochon
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Konig

If you support Startup Fever on Kickstarter (or buy retail later) you will get high quality components reflecting the final artwork. Kickstarter is cheaper than MSRP and the high backer also get the beta artwork beautifully manufactured (wooden box, wooden board, etc.)

If choose the PnP route, you will get a paper edition glued together with tape. You will use chickpeas as money, black and white beans as employees, and painted pasta wheels or jelly beans as components. You also spend at least an hour printing, glueing and taping. Or you spend at least half of what the game costs on components (try MeepleSource.com, it will be $45 or so) and you still have a taped together game board. Of course, if you invest another few hours, you can make that look pretty good, laminate all the pieces, paint 200 8mm cubes, etc. What you have will still be less durable than what you can buy. Unless you enjoy crafting things yourself this is probably not the way to go.

To give you just one example, here is the spec for the board:

Quote:
Game Board (1/4 Fold) 508 x 508mm (open size) 157gsm art paper + 2mm greyboard + 157gsm art paper 4C/0 double sided matte pp lamination 4 edge wrap around + reinforce tape.

There is 2mm cardboard in the middle, and 157gsm paper on both sides. The reason there is the same paper and lamination on the bottom is so it's more resistant e.g. when the table is a bit wet. The board is a four-fold, so you need to cut 4 pieces and tape them together well. I have done this many times over the last few months, and trust me, I can't to it as well as the factory. When was the last time you glued a paper square 50cm x 50cm (20" x 20") onto a cardboard square without creating bubbles? If you cut first and then glue, you probably have alignment (registration) problems.

I see PnP as an opportunity for people to test out the game before they buy. It's also an opportunity to play the game months before they receive the Retail Edition (or even the Beta Edition). If they are happy with their PnP, and continue playing that, that's fine with me, too. Maybe their friends will buy them the real thing for their birthday. It's also a way to avoid high international shipping fees, and for people who live in a country where wages are significantly lower than in the US or who don't have an income, like students - I want them to play my game. And maybe someone translates this to Spanish, and we end up with a Spanish PnP version that is successful enough in Latin America to make it worth printing the real thing in Spanish.

But mostly, I believe that information wants to be free. That's why I made the rules book available from the beginning, and why we post the art as Gary creates it. It's also one reason why I self-publish. An established publisher might be reluctant to a PnP edition. Freedom of information gives me translated rules for the games I love, and the ability to print extra copies of the rules. And I spend even more money buying games.

I hope you like the game, and decide to get the retail edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Louis,

I've already backed Startup Fever (and showed it to a friend who went Suit for you =P), but I can say that if players HAPPEN to own a copy of Stronghold (the Valley Games edition at least), they could easily use the small wooden cubes from it for the nerds and suits. Technically, since there are 3 colours of cubes, they could have lawyers as well, if the expansion rules are in the PnP. On top of this, they can use the slightly larger cubes from the defender's side for the big versions of each (the colours match already).
Sadly, I think that's about as much as you could easily scavenge.

As an alternative to the 100 money situation, if people don't want to just count it out (and assuming it's not common for ALL 100 of that money to be in players' possession), it could probably be handled pretty well with 2D10 for each player. Definitely easier to get a hold of than 100 tokens, although not QUITE as neat.

Anyway, just tossing those few ideas out there. Hope it's in the realm of what you were looking for. >_

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Moved to Startup Fever >> News

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Perrochon
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nicholas, that's good information. I don't have Stronghold.

2D10 can work for most, except marketing money. But you are right, rarely all money is used, particularly not in 3 or 4 player games. The 100 are mostly there for 6 players games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.