Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing Quincunx and due to the complicated scoring and the card play it was eerily like a spatial cribbage game.

I noticed on the wiki there is a game called suitcases that is unabashedly a direct port of cribbage to the Decktet.

Has there been any development of a uniquely Decktet-ish cribbage game with sequential (as opposed to tableau) play?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made the analogy between Quincunx and Cribbage before. There is the similar feel to the card play. Also, both have strange scoring rules that interact in ways that are not immediately obvious. Cribbage actually is a very old game, and Quincunx feels to me as if it could have been.

As you mention, though, there's the difference that Quincunx works in two dimensions while Cribbage play is linear. I don't know of any attempts (besides Suitcases) to make a game with one-dimensional play like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
The two-dimensional play of Quincunx' "discard" tableau seems exactly "uniquely Decktet-ish" to me, in fact.

The whole point of the deck is that the suits cross each other in multiple dimensions rather than run parallel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
The two-dimensional play of Quincunx' "discard" tableau seems exactly "uniquely Decktet-ish" to me, in fact.

But you don't like Jacynth or Thricewise either, Nate. I think you've just got a blindspot for the tableau-aptness of the Decktet. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

But you don't like Jacynth or Thricewise either, Nate. I think you've just got a blindspot for the tableau-aptness of the Decktet. shake

Never thought of it, but yeah, I could see that's maybe why Jacynth and Quincux was both surprisingly good for us. I was starting to wonder why there were so many tableaux games...

Of course, nate likes his games a little meatier and heavier than the common folk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
pmagnus wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

I think I made my comment above more indecipherable than my usual. Try a re-read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Try a re-read.

Oh. I think your complaints about Jacynth primed me to misread you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
pmagnus wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
Try a re-read.

Oh. I think your complaints about Jacynth primed me to misread you.

Heh. My chief complaint about Jacynth is that there's no reason for the cards to have ranks. [Aside, this is also one of the reasons I've been preferring Bharg Deluxe to Bharg of late.]

Having "two different things" on a card suits a tableau just fine, of course. My "domino" comment was referring to the matching / pairing aspect of that "game system" [such as it is].

You could play a game much like Jacynth with a picture domino set, for instance... possibly even Jacynth itself.

What makes the Decktet interesting is the overlapping series of suited card rank runs, not simply the suit pairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

Heh. My chief complaint about Jacynth is that there's no reason for the cards to have ranks. [Aside, this is also one of the reasons I've been preferring Bharg Deluxe to Bharg of late.]

Hmm.

In Jacynth, the card rank matters if districts controlled by different players are later connected. This can happen a lot with three players, especially if some of them play aggresively - and even if it doesn't happen, the threat of it happening can lead to a lot of zugzwang.

As for Bharg: That's why the scoring rule in original Bharg penalizes you based on the rank of left over cards; a Crown is a terrible card to have left at the end. Since rank plays another role in Bharg Deluxe, the endgame penalty just goes by the number of suits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
pmagnus wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

Hmm.

In Jacynth, the card rank matters if districts controlled by different players are later connected. This can happen a lot with three players, especially if some of them play aggresively - and even if it doesn't happen, the threat of it happening can lead to a lot of zugzwang.

Hmm.

I wonder if we misplayed this or if I am misremembering. I can see how that would make a dramatically more interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NateStraight wrote:

Hmm. :what:

I wonder if we misplayed this or if I am misremembering. I can see how that would make a dramatically more interesting game.

Quoted from The Decktet Book, page 61, bottom paragraph:
"You cannot place an influence token in a district already controlled by an opponent, but it is possible that subsequent card play will connect what had been two separate districts. If this happens, then the player whose token is on the higher ranked card controls the district."

If playing solo, this doesn't matter. But it's a big deal for multiplayer games of Jacynth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yeah, saw that on the Wiki.

I'm going to place a bet that I didn't read through to the final sentence of that paragraph / section.

I like rules to be explained from the most specific level backward to the most general... in general.

The rule isn't "A player controls a district when they have an influence token on a card in that district."

The rule is "A player controls a district when their influence token occupies the highest ranked card of all influence tokens in the district"... then there are more general rules for how you can arrive at multiple tokens in a district... and more general ones still for how you can have a token at all / to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it was an easy rule to miss...I read the rules several times before I caught it ...and the reason I was reading it several times was to figure out what happened when two districts merged.

And if you weren't playing with that, you really need to try it again, I think it will work considerably better.

You could even try your morphing grid rule that you propose for quincux...and actually now that I mention it I think I will try it like a game of carc -- ie table limited in its extents as opposed to a preset grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:

You could even try your morphing grid rule that you propose for quincux...and actually now that I mention it I think I will try it like a game of carc -- ie table limited in its extents as opposed to a preset grid.

That would make it almost impossible to take over someone else's district. When someone plays one step away from the district they want to take over (in our games, anyway) it's almost always by playing next to a separate bunch of starting cards. That's why the Razeway starting configuration makes takeovers really difficult, but the Old City almost encourages them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:

That would make it almost impossible to take over someone else's district. When someone plays one step away from the district they want to take over (in our games, anyway) it's almost always by playing next to a separate bunch of starting cards. That's why the Razeway starting configuration makes takeovers really difficult, but the Old City almost encourages them.

Well clearly, I should try the Old City first then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls