Subject: Game Stores in Japan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe von Brainwash
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
I will be in Japan this summer and am wondering if anyone knows of any FLGS in the following cities:
Fukuoka, Hofu, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Himeji, Kyoto, Tokyo, as well as their phone numbers and/or websites.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Saw your post, read it, wondered if you would get response...

My experience in Japan is that games--when you can find them--are prohibitively expensive for a jaunt-and-buy at your local game store. There is an entertaining department store in Tokyo called "Tokyo Hands" that actually had several mainstream euro-style games when I was there (March 04) but charged a hefty price. 5000 yen for something like New England... and with the dollar as weak as it is... if you are coming from the US, fuggetaboutit!

All that said I did not actively pursue specialty game stores, but do let us know if you come across something!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pugh
Japan
Unspecified
Tochigi Prefecture
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some branches of the Hobby Base Yellow Submarine chain have games (one of the branches in Akihabara has a very large selection). The chief importer is Mobius Games; they're near Suidobashi Station, near Tokyo Dome (though I haven't been to their shop since they moved there). Mobius provides the Japanese translations for the imported games; German games are imported from Germany, thus usually don't carry English rules). www.mobius-games.co.jp

There's also a popular gameshop in Nagoya called Banesto http://banesto.cside9.com/

The aforementioned department store is Tokyu Hands, not Tokyo Hands; try the Ikebukuro branch. There's also a big toy store at the southern end of Ginza, which may be worth a look.

Takuya Ono (who translated Don Bone's Sunda to Sahil into Japanese, which is how I came to know him) has a website http://www1.u-netsurf.ne.jp/~hourei/game/ It's in Japanese, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe von Brainwash
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info!
Yeah, everything in Japan is more expensive. (Except maybe, beer and grilled squid)
But I was hoping I might be able to get some of the harder to find Euros at a break-even or better price than here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Yellow Submarine. I've found plenty of loot there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Embark
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinseandspit wrote:
Thanks for the info!
Yeah, everything in Japan is more expensive. (Except maybe, beer and grilled squid)
But I was hoping I might be able to get some of the harder to find Euros at a break-even or better price than here.

Even Beer is more expensive over here. Right now the exchange is 105 yen to the dollar. It's up 3 yen, last week it was 102 yen to the dollar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls