Subject: A Quick Fun Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Israeli Independence by Victory Point Games is a small, introductory, solitaire game that covers the 1948-49 war for survival by the new nation of Israel.

When the state of Israel was established on May 15, 1948 the forces of Egypt, Jordan, Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon were poised to invade the small country and wipe it off the map. This game recreates the struggle to save the nation of Israel from destruction.

The game is published by Victory Point Games and is #4 in the Battlesson series. It comes in a zip lock bag. As can be seen on the main page for the game there aren't a lot of counters here. There are only eight for the game and some are only used if you use optional rules for Israeli offensives.

The best part of the game are the rules. They are clearly written and explain the simple concepts of the game easily. It is nice to have a set of well written rules that don't use tons of abbreviations or don't actually explain what you are supposed to do. The game is introductory and it is nice to have an introductory set of rules.

Setup consists of laying out the map, putting the Arab markers down in their start space, shuffling the cards, and getting the die ready. It was nice to have a game that set up so quickly. The rules explained the process well and the only thing I had an issue with was weather the optional cards actually had green headlines or not. It may have been the lighting or my eyes but I swear they had the same color writing as the other cards.

Game play is done by simply drawing a card, reading what it says, advancing the stated Arab forces, and then attacking as the Israeli player. The key is to keep all the forces out of West Jerusalem.

I found this game a quick, back and forth game. It took maybe 20 to 25 minutes to play my first game and that included cleaning up afterward. The game did provide tense moments because you can lose in a split second. It is this tension that I liked.

Is this a great game? The components are well made and I would compare them to most companies products. The fact that the pieces are die cut puts them above some small companies where you have to cut pieces apart. The rules are well written and the game is fun.

This is not a game for someone who wants a million decisions or to fight out everything on a tactical level. Offensives are resolved at the roll of a single die but since combat can have such far reaching implications towards victory or defeat those die rolls become very important to the player. A few times I found myself holding my breath as Egypt moved closer to West Jerusalem.

If you are in the market for something quickly playable, easy, and compact I would suggest this game. Considering the small size of the game I would suggest trying to find it when a sale is being run.
Good quality components but if you can get it cheaper I would. I would also suggest that you try to buy the expansion pack. This adds optional rules and more cards to add to the deck. I picked this up at the same time but haven't tried it yet.

This is a fun, little game that will provide you with an enjoyable time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Michael, thank you for understanding what the game is all about and for noting its limitations as an introductory game.

As you probably know, there's an ever-growing line of engaging solitaire games in the same series now available from VPG:

Victory Point Games States of Siege Series

Thanks for the report, and good gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Hathaway
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like this game, I have to recommend VPG's "Zulus on the Ramparts!" and "Ottoman Sunset".

Both offer tons of tense moments, lots of decisions (though not millions), great ebbs and flows, fantastic narratives, quick playing times and of course, really well-written instructions.

Both are winners -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer

I'll add my .02 and say that I really enjoyed We Must Tell the Emperor. It's one of the very very few games I actually managed to play this year, and boy did I get creamed as Japan every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.