Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to post a long overdue shout out to my FLGS, conveniently located in Rehoboth. We usually have 2-3 people meet weekly and have had nothing but positive experiences with the store and the owner, Rob, over the last 2 years.

Along with letting us use the backroom for our weekly sessions, Rob is always willing to order for us as well. These games typically show up the next week, which is great! He keeps a good sized stock of boardgames including a big chunk of the top 100 and hot new games as well as the typical FLGS fare: CCGs, RPGs, books, and of course mountain dew!

Although he doesn't get to play as many games as he wants, you can tell he has a legit interest in boardgames and actually knows what he's talking about. Just checking out the stock would prove this.

Even though it's MSRP, we don't mind "paying the rent" and grabbing a game from this store. Check it out if you are around there and looking for another FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Toprac
United States
Seekonk
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You've got to be kidding. This guy has the worst gaming room in the country, and the bathroom is down to service station standards. The owner doesn't know a rat's A about board games, and he isn't even interested in helping you look up an FAQ for you. He just wants to push the games out the door and after that, you're on your own.

He's a MTG buy/sell and screw 'em kinda guy. Immature clientele, even for a Magic shop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI he recently renovated the game room. Can't really argue with the bathroom, it could use some love. Don't really know what got you so upset but I've never had a single problem with the owner. Hope you found a better fit somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Toprac
United States
Seekonk
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
The game room is so small, it defies renovation. And the bathroom "needing love" pretty well indicates it's service station quality.

Thanks for hoping I found a better fit. Indeed I have - and it wasn't hard. All the local stores - Battlegrounds in Plainville, Game Keeper in Providence, Gamers' Den in Warren, etc. - they are ALL better. And better owners, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Dean
United States
Lewistown
Pa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our Game Table is in Dover De. and has a gaming area inside the store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Toprac
United States
Seekonk
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Clarification on better stores:

The exact name is "Battleground Games and Comics" in Plainville, MA and "The Game Den" in Warren, RI.

"Game Keeper" is owned by Lawrence Whalen (Face to Face Games) in Pawtucket, RI.

Then there are a slew of really good MTG/RPG/Minis venues in the area that I'm not plugged into as well, such as "The Temple: the Art of Great Games" in Pawtucket by the TempleCon folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Rivendells and I think Todd really nailed it with everything he said.

Not so sure why you have such a bad opinion of it Dennis

The game room isn't the Ritz that's for sure; but it's everything it needs to be. And compared to the overall size of the store it has a decent amount of room. There's enough table and chairs to fit a few game groups at the same time. Rob just did a nice job of cleaning it up and added a fresh coat of paint too. Not to mention that he always has the AC cranking in the summer time.

The bathroom isn't on par with service station standards laugh. It works. It doesn't smell. That's all I need it to be. I don't really plan on spending a lot of time in there. Yeah I guess he could put in a new sink and a new throne; but to be honest I would rather just see him put the money towards getting the latest games.

Magic is obviously a large part of the stores income; but no more or less than any other FLGS. It's just the nature of the beast.

Rob is very knowledgeable about the hobby and has a hell of a good supply of games on hand. Should there be something your looking for that he doesn't have than he'll have it for you the next week.

Rob is a great guy to deal with. There's absolutely nothing to argue about there. I've never seen him hesitate to stop and help out people in the store whether they be newbies to the hobby or regulars to the store. He always has a smile and welcomes everyone in. With the tough times we're in now I think he runs a great FLGS and I'll be happy to continue to support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree with the negative attitude when it comes to Rob. I have shopped there on and off for years and always found him to be a great guy. I do think, however, that seems to know much more about RPGs and CCGs thank boardgames. However, he does keep a good stock of Euros, Ameritrash, and a scattering of wargames.

I have never used the game room in the back, so I can't vouch for that, but I can certainly back up his that he his a decent guy that runs a well stocked store.

Battlegrounds in Plainville (I believe they have a 2nd store somewhere else) and The Game Keeper are also excellent stores. They both keep stock in Euros, AT, and CCGs. Battlegrounds also stocks Warhammer miniatures. Larry at the Game Keeper is a great guy and knows his board games in and out, but I never get that impression from Battlegrounds. I find them extremely friendly with lots of tables to play, but they really don't seem know too much about boardgames, since they cater to Magic and Miniatures mostly. Still they are run by good people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Toprac
United States
Seekonk
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Glad to hear that while shopping on and off the owner was a great guy.

I have concrete knowledge otherwise, and don't find him to be a decent guy at all.

Why are we even pretending it's a local boardgame store? Because it stocks merchandise? If that's the criteria, then every internet store is a local store, because Rivendell is not a destination for local board gamers. It's a put merchandise on the shelf, smile and push it out, and don't bother me afterwards store. That's NOT an FLGS.

At least at Battlegrounds, other board gamers show up on a consistent basis, unlike Rivendell.

'Nuff said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazyyog wrote:
Battlegrounds in Plainville (I believe they have a 2nd store somewhere else)

The other store is in Abington.

I can't comment on Rivendell, but Battlegrounds is a pretty excellent store with a good atmosphere. Derek, Chase, and the guys are always pleasant and friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Ellis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
"'Nuff said."

Hold that thought.

"I have concrete knowledge otherwise, and don't find him to be a decent guy at all."

Dennis, you have nothing. Everyone in the local gaming community: that is, everyone from GAGA, everyone from Temple, from Total, everyone from all of the shops, they know the story. Since you seem incapable of remembering the particulars, I will ask you the question: would you like someone to refresh your memory?

"At least at Battlegrounds, other board gamers show up on a consistent basis, unlike Rivendell."

Tell me, when was the last time you stepped into Rivendell? Two, three years previous? You have no frame of reference.

Frankly, that comment is better than good, considering how badly GAGA begged for table space in Rehoboth, when they were practically kicked out of the Game Keeper, and couldn't even muster regular events when given carte blanche to the available space. But everyone else in your club having real life commitments and whatever excuses they want to muster is Rob's fault, am I right?

Gamers are always welcome at the shop; I've never seen a shop owner actively use retail space to house excess gamers, but that has been a regular occurrence. Hell, the owner has gone so far as to rent additional space in the plaza to house more gamers for large events. That's anything but stifling- that's a class act.

"Immature clientele, even for a Magic shop!"

Pot? Kettle? Meet Black.

How many times did you have to be told to leave people involved in games, both for fun and for prizes, to mind your own business? Or is having your plans damaged by someone not actually playing the game, ergo "hey, why didn't you play that card/make that move/do what I think is best", and then having the decency not to physically or verbally assault you for the intrusion, being immature? Because if that's the case, everyone you've ever gamed with in my presence is immature.

And speaking of class- how many times did you sit there and tell everyone about how much you spent (ie, saved) from shops online for your games, all while using Rivendell's facilities (figuratively and literally), with a big grin on your face. You might call Rivendell's CCG/RPG clientel immature, but at least they've got the intelligence not to take a dump where they eat.

Given your attitude and general lack of tact, etiquette, and common sense, in that shop and around the local gaming community, you calling anyone immature rings hollow.

'Nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chatham
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Well said Ken. As one who considers himself a mature professional, I was surprised to hear such attacks from one who, in my opinion, always presented as rude, inconsiderate and generally unpleasant. I've never, before or since, been so rudely questioned about my choices and tactics by anyone else who was not directly involved in any games I've played. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not inclined to find him credible.

Oh...and in the spirit of one who is immature... PHPHPHPHPHT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Mis
United States
Somerset
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
** Bump **

I have become a regular at Rivendell Books and Games relatively recently and I think this thread needs an update. Rivendell now has an adjacent gaming annex with lots of space for games of all sorts, hosts 1-2 Board Game Nights per month on Saturday evenings (which are often well attended with lots of games to choose from), and has an informal gaming night every Wednesday. In addition to his CCG and RPG events.

Rivendell has continued to grow the selection of books and games, and has always been very responsive to ordering anything that is not in stock, if possible.

The store is currently only active on Facebook, updates about events are posted there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls