Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

On a recent trip to Washington DC, I decided to check out a couple of FLGS and one in particular really stood out. I've been to many game stores only to end up leaving just because I couldn't find anything at all interesting. While they might have hundreds of boardgames, 90% of them are Settlers/Carc/Dominion/TtR.

The Game Vault in Fredericksburg was a totally different animal. Their game selection, while modestly sized (probably 100-150 boardgames), was virtually the in-store display version of my wishlist (and I'm sure many others) over the past year or two. I won't go into excruciating detail over what they had, but will just sum it up to saying their game selection included many of the games you see lurking in the top 100, but just simply don't see in any other games stores (why, i don't know). From newer hotness like Dominant Species, to top tier games from a few years back that I've never seen elsewhere like Reef Encounter. Not to mention a slew of Martin Wallace games in a time period where I feel like the only game of his in most stores is Toledo and perhaps one Age of Steam "version".

Not only this, but the owner came over and we had quite a friendly little chat. She was quite knowledgeable on all the boardgames and made quite a few spot-on suggestions based on what I told her I liked. This was a person who walked the walk and talked the talk as the saying goes. She was obviously way into boardgames and even threw out an invite to their weekend boardgaming night (Alas I was leaving town before then)

I know a lot of people will recommend the Game Parlor in Woodbridge to DC visitors, but just trust me on this one. I went to both and it is well worth it to go the 20 or so miles further south from there to hit the Game Vault. This isn't a knock on Game Parlor, which was a decent store with a unique selection, but just an emphasis on how refreshing and fantastic an experience finding a store like the Game Vault was. It is the first store I've ever thought "This is a local game store that is worth supporting." I'll be stopping in any time I'm in the DC area.

http://www.thegamevault.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a great store, but if it's in Fredericksburg, VA, it's about 50 miles from DC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
This may be a great store, but if it's in Fredericksburg, VA, it's about 50 miles from DC.

Without getting into a subjective discussion on whether 50 miles from a metropolitan area qualifies as "in the area", I'll just say that the main reason I listed it this way is because so many posts I saw for the DC area FLGS recommend stores already well out of the city. Perhaps I should have qualified that up front. I wanted to let people know that if they are going to drive 20-30 miles out to go to an average store, they could be better served to just keep on trucking to a really great store. Depends on your tastes. I see driving 20-30 miles to a run of the mill store as a waste of time, but driving 50 miles to a really great store could be worthwhile.

I should note that I was staying just south of DC, so conditions were more favorable for me to hit the Game Vault than they might be for your average visitor to the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathleen Feduke
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Tater! You made my day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads-up. I am over in Southern Maryland and I will be checking them out next time I am in the Fredericksburg area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameVaultVirginia wrote:
Thanks Tater! You made my day.

Looking forward to checking you out next time I visit my dad. With Game Parlor recently closing its doors in Woodbridge, I believe you may be it between where I live and his place. I do have a couple in Falls Church I frequent on occasion as well. I was disappointed on Game Parlor's closure and hope we don't lose any more. I'm certain it was economy related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm late to this thread, but I just visited the Game Vault today and wanted to add my two cents:

Good selection, helpful staff, nice playing area, and a great library of store copies to play in-store or borrow. The only thing wrong with the place is that it isn't closer to my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathleen Feduke
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
I'm late to this thread, but I just visited the Game Vault today and wanted to add my two cents:

Good selection, helpful staff, nice playing area, and a great library of store copies to play in-store or borrow. The only thing wrong with the place is that it isn't closer to my house.

Thanks Marc! I can't move my store since it's near MY house but I suggest you move closer. I can supply you with all the boxes you need as well as packing peanuts. Come in and play with people a bit and they'll likely even help you move. Our players are pretty nice that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls