Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't find a post yet about this on the 'geek.

French gaming site Tric Trac is reporting that Filosofia Editions has bought up Z-Man Games. Interesting times...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
desmodus
France
Bantzenheim
flag msg tools
badge
Die Ärzte, Bad Religioon, Bauhaus, Dom Perignon, In Extremo, Joy Division, Lacrimosa, New Model Army, Nirvana, Officine Panerai, Placebo, Rammstein, The Sisters of Mercy, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure, The Mission, Die Toten Hosen, Umbra et Imago
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's not a good news.
In my eyes Filosofia stands for very long translation time when adapting games from other publishers, poor communication, limited to no promo articles and very high prices.
From an economical point of view, this behaviour seems to be very successful.
On the other hand, editing own games (and taking risks), like z-man does (did) is complete different business model.
I just hope that Filosofia will no roll out their rules on z-man (too early!).
If so, a lot of good games will not get a chance anymore.

RIP z-man!
Another purely econmical approach will pauperize our hobby.
Do you remmeber the IP politics of games workshop?
Filosofia does something similar: They forbid any publishing of fernch rules of their games to avoid that people buy the (much) cheaper german (or whatever) versions. This was the case with alea for those who want an example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
desmodus wrote:

They forbid any publishing of fernch rules of their games to avoid that people buy the (much) cheaper german (or whatever) versions. This was the case with alea for those who want an example.
Perhaps Francophone gamers should do a little peremptory downloading if you catch my drift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Explains the Tanga dumping. I thought it was a marketing tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Devil
England
London
flag msg tools
My French is not that great but I think that the article implies that Zev wil stay with the company which is a good thing.

I'm not surprised by this happening. Over the past few years I have been amazed by the quantity of releases that Zev has put out. Whilst the quality of games and components has been high I did have concerns about the capital that was tied up in stock and games that were in production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Please be a discount on Merchants and Marauders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is word from Origins that Zev has sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also received word from of this from Z-man's yahoo group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
What does this mean for ZMan? Seems sad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And what does it mean for those of us who have business dealings with Z-man.

I guess we will have to wait for more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this sucks. Besides Fantasy Flight, Z-Man has been one of my favorite game companies. Let's hope this doesn't change things too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deric Harrington
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard that while the company has been sold, Zev is staying on as an employee, and we shouldn't see too much in the way of changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Z-Man, especially their card games (quick, cheap, portable, and GOOD). I hope that they are able to continue doing what they do well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wilhm
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
TokenCon: Oklahoma's First Board Game Convention!
badge
Living my best life
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that it would help much, but here is the Tric Trac article translated through Babel Fish:

Filosofia and Z-Man, hand in the hand…

Not later that this week, of the Net surfers opened a subject in the forum of Tric Trac by raising questions about Filosofia and their COM, because one does not have any more a news my god that this thus does pass???

And well we can finally answer you, because in this moment even it is Origin Games Fair and that information has just fallen. If Filosofia were very occupied lately, it is that the Québécois editor has just invested. Yes. With bottom. And not in anything. Not. They have just broken their moneybox to make l' acquisition of Z-Man plays. Yes. You read well! The American editor is now the property of Filosofia. Nutcase not?!

Ho, that made not badly of time that bonds were woven between Z-Man and Filo. The Québécois editor proposed to us, and for our greater pleasure, more and more of translation of play Z-Man. Things like " Pandémie" for example. While the other distributed on the American ground of the things like " Secrecy off Assembles Cristo" …

Then, basically, that is what that will change. For the moment: nothing. Yes. Because they is very fresh and that initially one does not break a machinery which functions. Thus Z-Man will remain Z-Man with Mr Z-Man with the direction. The leading policy will not change. Not for the moment. It is very technical tricks to manage initially, like the licences and right of the plays of international and all that. In short, before we realize changes, we which are at the end of the chain, it will take a few times. Then, we see already all the questions which can come up, as “is what there will be blow instantaneous translation in French of all Z-man? ”, but the answers will fall when the two companies make it tower of the thing well and that synergies will be well in place.

What is sure, it is that ludic industry containing French-speaking person inside goes rather very well. Yes. It is nothing to say it…
The Filosofia plays, c' is by there!
The Z-Man plays, c' is by here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?
badge
Baah!
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

Wait, is the M&M reprint still happening? I need a copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwilhm wrote:
Not that it would help much, but here is the Tric Trac article translated through Babel Fish:

Ho, that made not badly of time that bonds were woven between Z-Man and Filo. The Québécois editor proposed to us, and for our greater pleasure, more and more of translation of play Z-Man. Things like " Pandémie" for example. While the other distributed on the American ground of the things like " Secrecy off Assembles Cristo" …

Totally overrated game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Time will tell, but this deal will probably be a good one. thumbsup

They're already hand in hand in a lot of games coming from Europe, so this is the next step for them.

Zev stays in place, which is extra cool (amazing pedigree of discovering great games), and Filosofia now has a couple of tentacles in the American market.
Viva el Canadian dollar!

Filosofia was in a great position, finance-wise, 'cause it had a niche of translating english games to French, and in turn, stores in Quebec (and France?) need to have a French version if it's available (the law is the law...).

So they got themselves in a great position in the market, which in turn, got them some bad press, due to overdue launch of games and high prices of the French counterparts to english games.

No normal company exists to lose money, so I think that this "merger" will be a good one. I hope. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope Z-man will stay in their policy of publishing weird cool games. I'm afraid that in the long run, it won't work. But here's for hoping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rudementary translation:

-People were asking questions about Filosofia on forums.

-Filosofia has been investing: Filosofia has bought Z-Man Games.

-The relation between both companies was already quite good: Filosofia had been putting out more and more Z-Man releases in French, whilst Z-Man distributed Filosofia's games on American soil.

yadayada this is the most important part:
-What will change: at the moment, nothing. Because it's still fresh, and you don't break a working machine. So Z-Man will remain Z-Man with Zev at it's head. The editorial politics will not change, for now. There are still some technical complications that need to be worked out, such as the licenses of international games and such. So before we consumers, at the end of the line, notice any difference, will take some time. There's probably a lot of unanswered questions, but we'll have to wait until all technicalities have been worked out.

-He goes on to say that French games are holding themselves well in the industry.

That's about it.

I'd be surprised to see Filo actually changing anything within Z-Man. Filo basically just aquires rights of games to publish them in French. On top of that, they've stood at the helm of some really nice redesigns of older games as well, which I very much encourage. In a sense, if they want to expand business, it's easier to aquire a company like Zev's who's already experienced in producing new titles, than to start working out the whole workflow themselves from scratch. So I hope, and I believe, that they'll leave Zev more or less to it. If Zev keeps his independance within the company, it could turn out quite well. Filosofia will mean wider releases, better production, and perhaps the opportunity for even more releases under the Z-Man brand, which I can only applaud!
I can't see any economic gain in changing anything at Z-Man's, so let's hope it's all for the better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mleaman wrote:

Wait, is the M&M reprint still happening? I need a copy!

D'oh! I was just waiting for it to show up on tanga deals.

The temptation to buy a game that's years off from maybe hitting a table, is strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
M&M sold really well, and likely won't be showing up on Tanga soon.

The game that tanked is Earth Reborn (which is downright criminal--that is such a good game. I'm guessing the tactical minis crowd haven't got wind of it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham wrote:
M&M sold really well, and likely won't be showing up on Tanga soon.

The game that tanked is Earth Reborn (which is downright criminal--that is such a good game. I'm guessing the tactical minis crowd haven't got wind of it.)

We got wind of it. It was just too expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
What's Your Game?
badge
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
mbmbmb
F-Man !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOVE Z-Man. In fact, recently, they've been my favorite publisher. Hoping for an official statement soon and some clarifications. Hoping this just helps to continue a great thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
fbranham wrote:

We got wind of it. It was just too expensive.

Really? In the US it was $80 USD list price, which placed it at about $60USD at discounters. Given the content in the box, that was very cheap. The minis themselves (14, with one being a massive Walker) are a couple of steps above typical boxed game plastics, being comparable to some of the Rackham plastics in terms of sculpting and detail. The only downside is that they weren't prepainted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |