Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Schuth
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be heading to Boston, MA this weekend. Since it is my first trip to this city, I am going to try to make the most of it and visit the local game stores.

I have uncovered five game stores, and I was wondering what folks think are the best ones since I have a limited amount of time to visit. Additionally, if there are any that I should know about that I haven't listed, I would also be interested in those.

1. Eureka Puzzles
2. Pandemonium Books & Games
3. JP Comics and Games
4. Compleat Strategist
5. The Games People Play

Thank you for all your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your intention? To buy,play, or both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For more exotic Euro games Games People Play is not bad. They also carry a variety of chess sets. For most hobby gaming, however, Pandemonium is going to have the largest selection of stuff. The only exception to that is if you are into historical miniature gaming; Hobby Bunker in Malden (if they are still open) may be worth looking into for that.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
For more exotic Euro games Games People Play is not bad. They also carry a variety of chess sets. For most hobby gaming, however, Pandemonium is going to have the largest selection of stuff. The only exception to that is if you are into historical miniature gaming; Hobby Bunker in Malden (if they are still open) may be worth looking into for that.

Lee

The store with the largest selection is hands down The Compleat Strategist. Everything there is MSRP but there are often OOP games that are on the shelves that you can pick up. It is a bit of a chaotic store and the help is not always very helpful. The Games People Play has a decent selection. They might perhaps be better for war games, depends on what you are looking for. They do have a broader range of children games and chess sets compared to the other ones. Pandemonium is very close to the Games People Play. It has a very large basement for playing games. They have a decent library and often there are people there you can pick a game up with and play. There selection is hit or miss. They often have the recent games but go in and out of stock quickly. They are a huge MtG store so that is one of their primary draws. The basement can often be wall-to-wall MtG players. Eureka in Brookline is a decent store for family style games. They do have a smattering of more intricate Euros but that is not their demographic. They do have lots of interesting wooden and metal puzzles. JP Comics and Games does have a boardgame night and has a decent selection of games. There is one that you have not mentioned in Medford, Hobby Bunker. They are great if you are into war games. Really there is nothing else like Hobby Bunker if you are into table top miniatures. They have an ok board game selection. By far the best store for boardgames in Myriad Games which is about 45 min north of the city in Salem and Manchester NH. If you have a car it is well worth the trip. That and there is no tax in NH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bloody Purchase
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
For more exotic Euro games Games People Play is not bad. They also carry a variety of chess sets.

Also note their hours are kind of crappy. They are only open after 5 on Thursdays, and for narrow windows on the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schuth
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:
What is your intention? To buy,play, or both?

Hopefully both buy and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schuth
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:

The store with the largest selection is hands down The Compleat Strategist. Everything there is MSRP but there are often OOP games that are on the shelves that you can pick up. It is a bit of a chaotic store and the help is not always very helpful. The Games People Play has a decent selection. They might perhaps be better for war games, depends on what you are looking for. They do have a broader range of children games and chess sets compared to the other ones. Pandemonium is very close to the Games People Play. It has a very large basement for playing games. They have a decent library and often there are people there you can pick a game up with and play. There selection is hit or miss. They often have the recent games but go in and out of stock quickly. They are a huge MtG store so that is one of their primary draws. The basement can often be wall-to-wall MtG players. Eureka in Brookline is a decent store for family style games. They do have a smattering of more intricate Euros but that is not their demographic. They do have lots of interesting wooden and metal puzzles. JP Comics and Games does have a boardgame night and has a decent selection of games. There is one that you have not mentioned in Medford, Hobby Bunker. They are great if you are into war games. Really there is nothing else like Hobby Bunker if you are into table top miniatures. They have an ok board game selection. By far the best store for boardgames in Myriad Games which is about 45 min north of the city in Salem and Manchester NH. If you have a car it is well worth the trip. That and there is no tax in NH.

Thank you very much! That's some great description. Too bad I won't have a car for the Myriad Games. I've heard of them through the Game On! Podcast.

Here's some GG for your trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, just the post I was thinking of posting soon... heading to Boston in October and want to check out some boardgames if I have the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:
The store with the largest selection is hands down The Compleat Strategist.

Maybe something has changed recently, but the only thing I tend to find that Strategist has more of than Pandy is older games. In general, Pandy is a larger physical store. It just has more stuff and is more likely to have three copies of something that the Strategist may have one or none of. Pandy often seems to have a better supply of RPGs as well (though, again, the Strategist can have some odd OOP titles). Pandy also sometimes has in some used RPGs.

BTW -- Hobby Bunker is in Malden, not Medford. It's at 33 Exchange Street in Malden, right outside of Malden T-station (unless there's some other branch that I don't know about).

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schuth
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:

Maybe something has changed recently, but the only thing I tend to find that Strategist has more of than Pandy is older games. In general, Pandy is a larger physical store. It just has more stuff and is more likely to have three copies of something that the Strategist may have one or none of. Pandy often seems to have a better supply of RPGs as well (though, again, the Strategist can have some odd OOP titles). Pandy also sometimes has in some used RPGs.

BTW -- Hobby Bunker is in Malden, not Medford. It's at 33 Exchange Street in Malden, right outside of Malden T-station (unless there's some other branch that I don't know about).

Lee

Does that mean I could get there with a Charlie pass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
Funguy wrote:
The store with the largest selection is hands down The Compleat Strategist.

Lee

I am always getting Medford and Malden mixed up. But yes, you are correct. I will have to disagree with you about the amount that Pandemonium stocks versus The Strategist. Yes they often have more than one copy of a game, but the Strategist has by far a much wider selection of games. I have been many OOP boardgames there that just seem to collect dust week after week. They also bring in obscure titles that Pandemonium would never even bring in. I have never seen Peloponnes, Merkator, Tanto Cuore, or a whole host of other games over at Pandemonium. Yes, they often have the latest and greatest in larger quantities. That I will say. They also have much more room, the games are better organized (albeit in a rank basement), and they have a much larger community. Going to the Strategist makes you feel like you are going down some long hallway towards an adult "novelty" shop. Games are stored on the floor and the staff is often not very helpful. But, I just saw a copy of the DOW Battlelore there. Not the imported version mind you. But the short story is that there are also few deals in Boston. Most everything in is MSRP. I know Eureka has a frequent buyers program but their selection is not always the best.

Edit: I do have to say that Pandemonium has better a better War Hammer selection. I never pay attention to any of that though. But for war games, I don't think I have ever seen any GMT or Multi-Man games at Pandemonium. Have you? They really are the central place for MtG it appears (I don't play but they always seem to be packed with Magic players). I do have to say, they carry many of Asmadi games. I think that the publisher frequents the shop often. I have never seen anything outside of Innovation over at the Strategist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemonium is larger than Strategist, but their board game selection is rather lacking (plus you have to deal with that smell in the basement). Strategist is much smaller, but has a wider selection (and probably a larger board game inventory in general). Pandemonium is good if you play Magic or WH/WH40K, or want to buy a used, dusty sci-fi novel. Pandemonium's employees are the worst I've run into among all the game stores in Boston - don't care, never say hi, never offer to help, too busy playing with their friends.

It's too bad you won't have a car for the weekend, or you could visit Myriad Games in NH.

Regardless, given that it is a holiday weekend, be sure to call ahead to whatever store you visit to make sure they're open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrteacherusa wrote:
hudarklord wrote:

Lee

Does that mean I could get there with a Charlie pass?

Hobby Bunker is in Malden. The closest T stop is Malden Center on the Orange Line. The store is then about 1500ft up the street from the T stop.

I'm not sure if they have what you're looking for (they seem to be mostly a miniatures/wargaming store). Here is their website:

http://www.hobbybunker.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls