Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Tullgren
Sweden
Höör
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going on a holiday to London next week. Does anyone know if there's any good boardgame stores in central London (zone 1-2)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Scrivins
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orcs Nest is between Tottenham Court Road and Leicester Square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iansc wrote:
Orcs Nest is between Tottenham Court Road and Leicester Square.
And that is the only one!

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Young
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yup Orcs Nest is about your only choice in the centre of town. It's good but very small... amazing how they have managed to squeeze in as much stock as they have.

Forbidden Planet on Shaftesbury Ave also carries a small stock of games, so if you fancy a general geek-out it's worth a visit too.

Simply Games is meant to be great but it's in Finchley, so not exactly central...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Head out to Leisure Games in Finchley. It has at least 10 times as many games as Orcs Nest - and the staff there even know something about the boardgames they sell and might greet you with a smile when you enter the shop. It will take you about 25 minutes from Central London but is worth the visit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
warth0g wrote:
Simply Leisure Games is meant to be great but it's in Finchley, so not exactly central...
Fixed that for ya
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bits guy
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP, useful map links for the shops above:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?q=Orcs+Nest&cid=12179072...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?q=forbidden+planet&hl=en...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Young
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
andyholt wrote:
warth0g wrote:
Simply Leisure Games is meant to be great but it's in Finchley, so not exactly central...
Fixed that for ya
Oops, thanks. You can tell I've never been there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Imperium - coming sometime
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Compendia in Greenwich (zone 2) http://www.compendia.co.uk/

Nowhere near the stock of 'gamers games' that Leisure Games and Orcs Nest have, but worth a look if you're doing the tourist thing and visiting Greenwich anyway ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one down on York Road near Waterloo.

Dark Sphere, 57 York Road, Lambeth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek D
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:
There is also Compendia in Greenwich (zone 2) http://www.compendia.co.uk/

Nowhere near the stock of 'gamers games' that Leisure Games and Orcs Nest have, but worth a look if you're doing the tourist thing and visiting Greenwich anyway ...
Also in the category of "if you're doing the tourist thing" is Village Games in Camden market:

http://www.villagegames.com/acatalog/info.html
(don't bother trying to check the online catalogue, the website seems mostly dead)

This shop is tiny - possibly the smallest game shop in the world - but it has a charm of its own. Despite the extremely limited selection I've been pleasantly surprised there on a couple of occasions - I remember finding an Alhambra expansion there that I couldn't find anywhere else a couple of years ago. And Camden market itself is a fascinating place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Tullgren
Sweden
Höör
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ill visit Orcs Nest for sure! Gonna try to squeese in a visit to Leisure Games aswell.

Thanx for the mapdirections!

How are the prizing in UK, lets say for a game like Mansion of Madness, Talisman 4th ed, Smallworld Underground etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
A good bet for low prices is to contact Paul at boardgameguru.co.uk and get him to bring the games you want along to a London on Board meetup (meetup.com/LondonOnBoard). Added bonus - you can play the there and then with a bunch of friendly Londoners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orcs Nest is expensive. Leisure games a bit less so. Both have online stores so you can checj prices yourself.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorp222 wrote:
Head out to Leisure Games in Finchley. It has at least 10 times as many games as Orcs Nest
It's several times bigger. I'd be surprised if it reaches quite as much ten times as many games. Both use their space efficiently though.

Quote:
and the staff there even know something about the boardgames they sell and might greet you with a smile when you enter the shop.
Never had a problem myself. OK I've not quizzed them on their expertise, but I rarely need it.

Quote:
It will take you about 25 minutes from Central London but is worth the visit
Considerably longer than that. Tottenham Court Road to Finchley is about 40 minutes on the Northern Line (according to the app I just checked with) and that's a direct no change route with no allowance for waiting at the start or walking at the end. If you are starting not already on the Northern line then add more. Allowing an hour each way is more realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having worked at Leisure games and had the misfortune to shop at Orcs Nest before that I can state with a little confidence that:-

1) Its 25 minutes from Tottenham Court Road to Finchley by tube
2) Leisure games have 10 times as many boardgames as Orcs Nest
3) Should you need any information about boardgames other than 'is it in stock' you are most likely to get a sensible answer from the folks at Leisure Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Vidal
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing you can do is contact boardgameguru and join London on Board for a session, you can pick up your games and enjoy your afternoon playing something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls