Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen Con 2011 is just weeks away and it just wouldn't be complete without a math trade so...

Request GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/69364/gen-con-2011-no-...

Trade GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/69362/gen-con-2011-no-...

If you are participating in this math trade use of the OLWLG (Online Want List Generator) is mandatory for creating your want list(s) (please remember to tip JeffyJeff some GG for his support).

If you have never used the OLWLG before, please read this: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

And if you're still unsure, feel free to ask questions in the discussion thread. It's not hard... really... the core idea is that you post stuff you are willing to trade and then choose things others have listed that you'd be willing to trade each of your items for. You'll only ever give something away if you also receive something in exchange for it that you chose! And if there's nothing you want for a given title you don't have to trade it.

Key dates and times

Open for posting games: Now through Wednesday, July 20th, 11pm Eastern time.

Want list submission period: Wednesday, July 20th, 11pm to Monday, July 25th at 11pm Eastern time.

Results will be posted shortly thereafter.

Please note that errors made by you will NOT invalidate the results. You will be expected to honor your trades even if you made a mistake, so please carefully review your wants list(s) before submitting them. You can always make changes BEFORE the end of the submission period but NOT after it.

This event is open to anyone who wants to participate, but please note that this is a no ship event. We will be meeting up on Saturday, August 6th at 12pm in the Serpentine Lobby, 1st Floor to exchange games and you'll either need to be in attendance, have someone proxy (drop off and pick up) for you at the meet-up, or make your own arrangements to give/get your trade items.

(If you need more detail on where [and it's the same place as last year] check out this map of the convention center...

http://www.icclos.com/Assets/userfiles/PDFs/ICCLOS_Marketing...

and if you zoom in on the northeast side near intersection of Capitol Ave and Maryland St (where the doors are) and look south of the escalators and you'll see the words "FIRST FLOOR SERPENTINE LOBBY".)

Please do not delete items or sweeteners once you have listed them. You can always submit a blank want list for an entry if you've traded it away before the deadline.

OK - some simple rules - please take a few minutes to read them:

* This is a no ship event. All exchanges are to be made at Gen Con 2011 as above. If you cannot attend in person, you can still participate but you must find someone who is willing to act as your proxy at the convention (taking your games there for you and picking up your new games). If you are unable to get your games to the Con for whatever reason after participating then this becomes a ship trade for you and it will be your responsibility to pay postage costs for both shipping your games and for others to ship games to you, but please don't let it come to that.

* Gift certificates and Geekgold (GG) are allowed in this math trade, but arbitrage of these is not (trading a lower cash value item for a higher cash value item). DVDs, RPGs, computer games and other relevant items of interest are all permitted, but be reasonable. If you list items nobody is interested in then you're wasting your time and everyone else's time.

* Non-game entries must be added as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (game id 23953), Miscellaneous Game Merchandise (game id 22104) or "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" (game id 5985). Please also note the use of the "alt name" tag that the OLWLG supports in order to properly view your items over there.

* If you are offering an expansion for which there is no entry in BGG (for instance expansion cards handed out at Essen) and NOT the base game, please use "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" to help avoid confusion.

* You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box) and edition of your item in the description. If your item is not the English version or a multilingual version that includes English rules then the supported languages MUST be disclosed in the description (copies/printouts of English rules are fine, but it must be disclosed that the game was not originally English from the manufacturer). This includes sweeteners.

* For games not brand new (in shrink) you must inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it is complete solely because the person giving it to you told you it was. If a game is found to be missing pieces then it will be the giver's responsibility to rectify that. Also, remember that just because something is "new in shrink" that doesn't mean that you shouldn't disclose any dings and dents. It might not matter to you, but it matters to some people.

* You are expected to periodically check during the item submission period, and preferably during the want list submission period, to see if anyone has commented on your entries. People often ask questions of items - most commonly because you have forgotten to state a version, language or shipping policy - and you should check in to address such questions in a timely manner should they arise, so that everyone then has the correct information available.

This is a very easy thing to do. Just click on "My Geek", then "Contributions" and finally on "GeekList Items". You will then be able to see your items without having to find them in the trade GeekList along with any comments that people have made. You will only need to go back to the trade GeekList to make adjustments or answer questions if there were any.

* I would encourage people to try to AVOID the use of sweeteners / package deals. I tend to think people aren't going to want to trade Great Game X for Crappy Games A, B, C, D, and E and I'd rather see more trades. Ok, perhaps Crappy is a bit harsh... let's say "Tanga Game That Sold For $1.99 Last October But Is Still A Fun Game". I'm not mandating that as we're all able to decide how to create and execute trades ourselves, but tend to think it would be more reasonable to try to trade those smaller games for something roughly on par with said item.

Other useful information

OWLG Metric Used: USER-TRADING Seed=12345 Iterations=100

Want list submission

You can start creating your want lists any time after the start of the event.

Please note that it's best to work on your want lists and submit them early - you can always make changes and resubmit later. This will prevent you from being left out if you forget the deadline.

Submissions may be made at any time after the listing period has ended. If you will be unavailable during the want list submission period but still wish to participate, contact me directly and we can discuss the possibility of you submitting early.

Remember that you may have saved your want lists, but they have NOT been submitted until you press the green button in step 4 and received a confirming Geekmail.

You are not obliged to trade anything you put up for offer. If you offer a game, but see nothing that you are willing to accept for it in trade, you can submit a blank want list for it, or not submit one at all. If, however, you do submit a want list for a game, then it is expected that you will honor any trade that the TradeMaximizer comes up with. You will not receive anything you did not list as acceptable for the game(s) you have offered, so it is important to check your want lists when they are posted publicly (see above dates), to correct any errors.

Please note: Sometimes real life intrudes on us unexpectedly. If I'm an hour late posting something, please bear with me. Running one of these can be a fair bit of work, and running it without the OLWLG is twice as much work.

So enter lots of items and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cost for a single day pass for Saturday if you pre-register is $38.

This is awfully tempting, even though I do not have any vacation days saved up...

Thanks for running the trade!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are we waiting five days to open submissions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Baumeister
United States
MILWAUKEE
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adreeve wrote:
(If you need more detail on where check out this map of the convention center...

and if you zoom in on the upper right (where the doors are) and look below the escalators and you'll see the words "FIRST FLOOR SERPENTINE LOBBY".)
The link above should be http://www.icclos.com/Assets/userfiles/PDFs/ICCLOS_Marketing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
galderon wrote:
adreeve wrote:
(If you need more detail on where check out this map of the convention center...

and if you zoom in on the upper right (where the doors are) and look below the escalators and you'll see the words "FIRST FLOOR SERPENTINE LOBBY".)
The link above should be http://www.icclos.com/Assets/userfiles/PDFs/ICCLOS_Marketing...
Also, since the PDF is oriented 90 degrees off of what adreeve describes, you'll actually be looking in the LOWER right corner if you're just looking at the PDF file. If you print it off and orient it correctly, it's in the upper right corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galderon wrote:
adreeve wrote:

Thanks! An error from my cut & paste job. Fixed in the header.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uigrad wrote:
The cost for a single day pass for Saturday if you pre-register is $38.

This is awfully tempting, even though I do not have any vacation days saved up...

Thanks for running the trade!
If you're just wanting to do the math trade alone as you live nearby, and I speak in no official capacity, I've never seen anyone get badge checked in the Serpentine lobby (as most walk through it to get their badges).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
Why are we waiting five days to open submissions?
Because I deviously and diabolically thought... "How can I, singlehandedly, completely ruin people's July 4th holiday? Ah, I can run a Gen Con Math trade and force them to wait a WHOLE 4 days to submit their trade items!" and then I laughed so sinisterly at 1 AM when I was spending my own, personal time to set up this list that I awoke the whole county. Apparently my plan has succeeded!!

Seriously, dude(s)... chill... I had stuff to set up and had to fill in some place holders so I stuck the 8th in there for several reasons. The list is open now. You're welcome...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm taking all of my games listed in this trade to Gencon regardless of whether they get picked or not. I'm going to take the un-traded ones to the auction room. So, if a game doesn't go in the math trade, feel free to Geekmail me and make a reasonable offer. I'll have the games there.

(I'm trying to pare down my game collection - or, at the very least, not leave Gencon with a net increase in the size of my game collection.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
I'm taking all of my games listed in this trade to Gencon regardless of whether they get picked or not. I'm going to take the un-traded ones to the auction room. So, if a game doesn't go in the math trade, feel free to Geekmail me and make a reasonable offer. I'll have the games there.

(I'm trying to pare down my game collection - or, at the very least, not leave Gencon with a net increase in the size of my game collection.)
Same thing here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Long
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone willing to serve as a proxy for me from the Minneapolis area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Alan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
adreeve wrote:
If you're just wanting to do the math trade alone as you live nearby, and I speak in no official capacity, I've never seen anyone get badge checked in the Serpentine lobby (as most walk through it to get their badges).
I'll second that observation, also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stevens
United States
Oshkosh
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be a lot of items being added with very brief descriptions on the condition. For me, I won't add any items with 1 or 2 word descriptions (been burned too many times on "Condition: Great").

Some people are being very detailed in their descriptions and I think I speak for the majority of the 'regular' math traders when I say, THANK YOU.

Please be detailed in your descriptions. It is, after all part of the rules:

math trade rules wrote:
* You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box) and edition of your item in the description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless we completely stall it looks as if we're on pace to easily shatter last year's record of 535 items and 46 participants.

Thanks to all of those participating! It's been great to see this trade grow through the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just added several more items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
boathouselooper wrote:
There seems to be a lot of items being added with very brief descriptions on the condition. For me, I won't add any items with 1 or 2 word descriptions (been burned too many times on "Condition: Great").

Some people are being very detailed in their descriptions and I think I speak for the majority of the 'regular' math traders when I say, THANK YOU.

math trade rules wrote:
* You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box) and edition of your item in the description.
I just added several items with minimal descriptions, but I had planned to modify them once I am able to have the games in front of me and look through them. I listed them now so I wouldn't forget to later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Javoroski
United States
Keota
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boathouselooper wrote:

Here's the problem: many people get really, really anal about terms like "like new" or "mint". So say you've got a game that, in your estimation, is no different than a new version of the game, but you (because you have had people flip out before) don't want to use 'mint' or 'like new'. But at the same time, there are no adverse 'conditions' to have to explain.

How detailed must a description of a game with nothing wrong with it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brotherbock wrote:
boathouselooper wrote:

Here's the problem: many people get really, really anal about terms like "like new" or "mint". So say you've got a game that, in your estimation, is no different than a new version of the game, but you (because you have had people flip out before) don't want to use 'mint' or 'like new'. But at the same time, there are no adverse 'conditions' to have to explain.

This is a tough issue because just as that minor ding may bother some, others may not be as, shall we say, anal about it. Ultimately it comes down to being reasonable and recognizing that this is a trade and not a purchase from a store (unless, of course, you're trading solely for new items... then you should be able to expect items to be as if they came from a store).

I think the term "new" carries a clear meaning of perfection. No ding & dent, the game is sealed and its contents untouched since being sealed.

Then there's "used". Without additional clarification I'd say the game would have some wear, but be complete and fully useable. This means no chocolate marks on the board... no rubber band dryrot on the cards... etc.

Then there's the "near mint" or "almost new" which basically means "new", but perhaps opened, the rules read, but the components almost unused and have never seen any actual game play. Outside of this things like a gash on the box, writing in the instructions, tears, marks, ... etc need to be fully disclosed.

I don't want to have to spend all day writing "page 1 looks good... page 2 looks good..." either. One recent change I made to my math trade rules was on the issue of language. If a game isn't English then that needs to be explicitly disclosed.

Ultimately the more detail the better... how much wiggle room is there? That depends on the person and I don't think there's a great solution other than saying "more detail is better" and while I'm certainly not the king of detail either I do try to follow the above for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Javoroski
United States
Keota
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that makes sense, Alan. It's pretty much what I've done too, seems to work. :)

A note to all: I will be able to make the exchange, and I (hoping that I make some trades :) will be bringing my games in to my Exhibit Hall booth in the morning for the Noon trade.

It's likely that I would be able to act as a proxy for a few people if they are at the Con but can't make the Noon exchange. If you can drop games at my booth that morning, and pick them up later, it could work. I will have a hand-truck if I have to haul a bunch :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stevens
United States
Oshkosh
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brotherbock wrote:
boathouselooper wrote:

No one is saying that you need to go over every millimeter and give us photos of each paint fleck, just "as accurately as is reasonably possible." That seems pretty, well, reasonable. You'll notice many descriptions that mention 'minor scuffing' or 'slight dishing' or 'some shelf wear.' That's pretty common in math trades.

I try to be clear in my descriptions so there are no surprises. I even add photos (sometimes). People will put on their want list what they feel comfortable with, so if "VG" is all you need in a description, that's fine with me. But again, that item won't make my want list.

But I understand where you are coming from. When does it end? Is it a slippery slope? I hear ya.

edit: Bah - I hate it when I'm writing a reply the same time as someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stevens
United States
Oshkosh
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adreeve wrote:
Unless we completely stall it looks as if we're on pace to easily shatter last year's record of 535 items and 46 participants.

Thanks to all of those participating! It's been great to see this trade grow through the years.
680 items as of right now - and some pretty great stuff to choose from.

700 should be no problem. This is going to be a great no-ship trade.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I added about 10 games or so the other day and went through the list and said I would trade for them. Then tonight I added a couple more - but they where not yet an option for me to trade for? How long do I wait after posting new games to be able to trade with them?

2nd - so do I need to go back over my whole list of what I would trade for to update the stuff with the new games I added to the stuff I have already agreed on what I would trade for ?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks, first math trade, hoping it is better then a day of fishing with no catching

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
So I added about 10 games or so the other day and went through the list and said I would trade for them. Then tonight I added a couple more - but they where not yet an option for me to trade for? How long do I wait after posting new games to be able to trade with them?
You have to wait until I do the next sync with the geek list from the OLWLG. That's just how powerful I am

Hendal wrote:

2nd - so do I need to go back over my whole list of what I would trade for to update the stuff with the new games I added to the stuff I have already agreed on what I would trade for ?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks, first math trade, hoping it is better then a day of fishing with no catching
Do you mean 'Will what you've already done still be there?'. If so, then "yes" is the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW - your like a super hero a math trades or something cool

2nd questions - was not clear I guess

I have already said what I would trade for 300 of the games or so, which was all there was on the list at the time, now that I have a few more games on my list I will need to go over those first 300 games and add my new games to the list of what I would trade for.

I went and figured it out, what a great program that is , now I see why we need to tip the dude who made, just awesome.

Again thanks for doing this, and man I am excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |