Subject: Stores in or around Corvalis, Oregon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
My in-laws visited us a month ago, and while they were here, we got them to try a few boardgames. Started off with Ticket to Ride, naturally, and worked up through Dice Town to Tobago and Fresco (without expansions) before they were heading back home.

They've now told some friends of theirs how much they enjoyed it, and these friends would like to look into picking up some games for themselves. I don't know them, or anything about them, other than that they're in Corvalis, Oregon. Checking Google maps, that makes it look like Albany would be a nice drive, but at a stretch they could head up to Salem or down to Eugene (though 2+ hours driving might be a bit much to ask).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop near to them that I could direct the towards? Ideally a nice, friendly, welcoming shop that will help them out and make good suggestions (since they're going in with nothing more than "some friends told us this might be nice")? It's too bad they're too far away from Funagain (in Ashland, 4 hour drive).

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you were hoping for closer, but if they find themselves in the Portland area, I would really recommend Rainy Day Games in Beaverton / Aloha. Here is a nice write up about that store at Fantasy Flight Games' website:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2307
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Their best bet is Portland. They're only about a hour + out from downtown Portland from Corvalis. Along with RDG in Aloha, there's Guardian Games and Bridgetown Hobbies in Portland which are excellent stores for Euro games and more. Any of those three would be a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Sonny Rollins - A Night at the Village Vanguard
badge
Gates of Eden - Ethan Coen
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt's Cavalcade is your best bet in Corvallis. It's across the street (north) from Fred Meyers. Trump's Hobbies in Timberhill is another option, although they are far less gamer-friendly. These stores can't match the ones in Portland, but then again they aren't 90 miles away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Pegasus Games downtown in Corvallis (next to the Greyhound station), but... I'd be hesitant to send anyone who isn't already fairly firmly a gamer in there. The owner is friendly enough, but I could see the Warhammer selection as being a little daunting, and really the store's mostly about that, with other games (outside of the ubiquitous M:TG) being somewhat underrepresented. He also tends to get a bit grumbly if you try to use plastic to pay.

If they can't find what they're looking for there, there's also Borderlands Games in Salem (next to the Salem Centre mall, in a building on the opposite side of the block from the nearby multiplex). I've only been in there once, so I can't say for sure how friendly it is to new gamers. It's definitely closer than Portland, though, and has a better game selection than any of the Corvallis options.

I'd *like* to recommend My Mom's Basement in Monmouth (a couple blocks south of the intersection between Main St. and Hwy. 99), but as much as I like the people there, their entire selection seems to be made up of M:TG, D&D, Munchkin, and Fantasy Flight, with a light dusting of Playroom titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making another store in the South Salem area within the next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution Games in Eugene
 Thumb up
 tip