Carcassonne: The Dice Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Carcassonne Dice Game - Urbanize quickly!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cédric DZ
Belgium
Hoevenen, Antwerp
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love AntwerpMicrobadge: Great Western Trail fanMicrobadge: Star Realms fanMicrobadge: Famiglia fanMicrobadge: Vinhos fan
Hi Dudes & Dudettes,

These days there's a trend of taking a good, popular game and turning it into a card game first and a dice game afterwards. We've seen this with Catan amongst others, and now it's Carcassonne's turn. I find it quite fascinating how the designers often succed in keeping not just the theme, but also the feeling in these different game variations.

How did I get to know this game?
I was surfing around one day and bumped on an article on the 999 Games website stating they were planning a bunch of 10th Anniversary Edition specials for Carcassonne. Well, I waited a while and now I finally have my thingies .

What's that theme?
Just like every Carcassonne game you have to build cities. You can also roll meeples to up your score, but more on that later.

And the components?
The game comes in a nice tin box. It looks lovely, but is a bit clumsy when it somes to stacking and storing.
From gallery of DeGecko

In this box you'll find a set of 9 identical plastic dice. These each have 4 building sides, 1 catapult side and 1 meeple side.
From gallery of DeGecko

You'll also find a little pencil and a pretty disappointing little note pad for scoring.

How does it work?
As most dice games, Carcassonne: The Dice Game is a pretty simple game with a Yahtzee-like mechanic.

Each turn you may throw the dice 3 times and have some options and obligations:
* All the dice that have catapults facing up leave the game immediately. You can not re-roll these and have to play on with less dice.
* There is one exception on the catapult-rule: When you roll 9 catapults in one turn you instantly win the game.
* You may put any dice with a meeple on it on the side. When you have 3 meeples at the end of your turn you may choose not to score this turn. Instead you keep 1 meeple - leaving the other player(s) with 1 less die - and score your city for double the points in your next turn.
* City parts may be put aside too, but have to be connected immediately. You may not re-roll any of the saved dice. You can however leave open spots to expand your city in your next roll(s). To score you count the number of dice used to build the largest finished city and write down the corresponding number of points (or double the number if you saved a meeple in the last turn).

So how do you win again?
Officialy the player that gets to 42 points first wins. I myself find this quite boring and unfair if the starting player wins often.

You can limit these problems by just playing a fixed number of turns each. The player with the most points after this number of turns wins. This way all player have an equal number of turns and the game lasts as long as you want.

Any tricky parts?
Not really.
- When a player saves a meeple the next player(s) will only have 8 dice, making it impossible to roll 9 catapults.
- Build carefully! City parts that have been built can not be moved later in your turn.
- If you have no completed cities consisting of 3 or more dice you get no points for cities, so you'd better have some meeples .

So what exactly do I think about this game?
I didn't fall in love with the game, but I do like it. However I find it necesarry to add house rules like the fixed number of turns to really enjoy it.

Overall it's not a bad game and it's quick so ideal for on the road (or train, ...) or in between games.

A quick tip to make your dice games more fun: I have an original wooden octagonal dice tray used to play dice games in pubs and bars (in Belgium we call it pietjesbak). It really ups the gaming experience and looks beautiful too!
From gallery of DeGecko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Peridot: August birthstoneMicrobadge: Green Christian - we're all the stewards of EarthMicrobadge: I love books!Microbadge: Easily MisunderstoodMicrobadge: Dog lover
Thanks for the review, but I think I think I will stick with the original Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric DZ
Belgium
Hoevenen, Antwerp
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love AntwerpMicrobadge: Great Western Trail fanMicrobadge: Star Realms fanMicrobadge: Famiglia fanMicrobadge: Vinhos fan
Orangemoose wrote:
Thanks for the review, but I think I think I will stick with the original Carcassonne
Well, as good a job as they did, it's still a completely different game. I certainly prefer the original too .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls