Anthony Lazaroski
United States
Montgomery
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I select a few keywords that come to mind when thinking of the reviewed game, then I link the elements to the words...voila! You can find a geeklist of my keyword reviews here.

TENSE thumbsup
A lot can happen in war, and a lot of those things probably won't help you achieve your objective. FC: Rommel models that in an abstract/high level way. You just never know what the roll of the die is going to be. I was always sitting on the edge of my seat seeing what the AI would do...would he call in that operation containing multiple armor units and ruin my advance? Or would he retreat and fortify a key objective. When a game can hook you into all these small little decisions/actions and really keep you guessing and planning...that's a win for me.

LACKLUSTER thumbsdown
Sadly, to look at the game, you really wouldnt expect much in the way of entertainment. The box is kind of so-so in layout, the maps (although highly useful) look a little bland and the counters aren't very colorful. the quality of the entire components package can be summed up as "adequate".

VALUE thumbsup
While it all might not look that snazzy, you get plenty for your hard-earned dollars. You get 3 maps, a counter sheet and a solid rule book. the key though is how much game you get with those 3 maps. That right there is nice - 3 different scenarios, but within each map you are given numerous options for tweaking your game. Options to make it harder or easier. Depending on the type of person you are, this will give this game a lot of life.

FUN thumbsup
No other way to put it, it's just darn fun. It's light enough you can set it up and play in an hour or two, but engaging enough to make each game memorable in some way as well as make you want to come back for more. What if you hadn't pushed your mechanized infantry that extra territory? What if you refitted a unit on the front line instead of building that armor unit? There are a lot of these situations that arise and really make you think. The combat is also more than the roll of the dice. You get to pick special abilities to use before and during combat and the enemy's abilities are determined by a chit-pull, this makes for a very engaging battle each time.

SERIES thumbsupthumbsdown
FC: Rommel is the first in a series of games from DVG. And playing this one really got me excited for the others. I did go out and pick up Field Commander: Alexander after this one, and sadly I found that one to be less fun than Rommel. Of course I do not know what FC: Napoleon holds, but I had such high hopes for the series after Rommel, and now I am unsure. But maybe FC: Alexander is the black sheep fo the series and the rest will be as good as FC: Rommel.

WORTH PLAYING

Many people scoff at the idea of playing a board game alone. But I think in the case of FC: Rommel you can start to see the fun that solitaire games offer. It truly is a fun and engaging game, and one that you don't have to be a wargamer to enjoy. The mechanics and rules are simple enough, you don't need a ton of table space and there aren't a gazillion counters to deal with. I highly recommend you trying this game at least once, as that should be all you need to be impressed and enjoy yourself. Go be the "Desert Fox" for a night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Anthony,

Thank you for writing a great review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Lazaroski
United States
Montgomery
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, the pictures on the chits are more interesting than NATO symbols!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.