Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been quite a long time since I last visited 'Dam; probably about seven or eight years.

My partner and I are heading over next week (19th to 24th) for a short break and - contrary to my usual half-decent planning - haven't actually planned anything other than "have a good holiday". (I've been a few times before, but she hasn't.)

We're both fairly arty so will probably visit one or two of the museums/galleries (I've been before but certainly don't mind visiting again), and will be looking into what's happening club and music-wise, as well as generally pottering round and eating pancakes (although my favourite pancake house had closed down the last time I was there...).

So... open for suggestions and recommendations, folks. Anything interesting happening over those few days that we should know about? And is the games shop that used to be in 'Dam still there (if I recall it was west of Centraal, possibly on Keizersgracht)?

Happy to take responses in the thread or in private.

Thanks in advance.
A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Alex,

in Keizer i don know, but Hartenstraat 14 is the Gamekeeper shop.
More expensive that most of any gameshop i know, but they have some games.
another one with even more games i think (where i bought paths of glory for 60 euros) is Schaak en Go Winkel Het Paard, Haarlemmerdijk 173.

you can eaily locate both on the internet. but both are expensive, games are cheaper in the UK.
less expensive, sometimes when there is sales is the american book store, at Spui.

besides that, have a drink at Hoppe, at Spui again, and i recommand the lunch at the Esprit cafe, at Spui again.
3 good places on the same spot

enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a great time Alex! I a only 100km away from you then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spetz wrote:
Hey Alex,

in Keizer i don know, but Hartenstraat 14 is the Gamekeeper shop.
More expensive that most of any gameshop i know, but they have some games.
another one with even more games i think (where i bought paths of glory for 60 euros) is Schaak en Go Winkel Het Paard, Haarlemmerdijk 173.

you can eaily locate both on the internet. but both are expensive, games are cheaper in the UK.
less expensive, sometimes when there is sales is the american book store, at Spui.

besides that, have a drink at Hoppe, at Spui again, and i recommand the lunch at the Esprit cafe, at Spui again.
3 good places on the same spot

enjoy!
I'm pretty sure it was Gamekeeper that I was thinking of - it's been several years since I was last over there, but the photo from Google streetview looks familiar. We'll make sure that we stop by it while we're about, but we've nothing that we're actually *looking* to buy right now. Similarly, we'll take a look at the other one too if we're up that way.

Thanks for the tips about the places on Spui - will check them out when we're there (we'll doubtless be passing by/through a lot!). Will also try to have a look at the book market if we've got nothing that overlaps...

Thanks for the ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Have a great time Alex! I a only 100km away from you then.
Hi Narl - that's virtually shouting distance! Well, maybe not quite.

Future visits will definitely include getting out to other parts of the country; I've promised myself that numerous times, and it *will* happen!

Thanks,
A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got back to Blighty about four hours ago... Had a great holiday, and - as with all good holidays - didn't want to leave the place. Plus a very late night last night meant that getting up before midday was painfully hard!

Numerous high spots, some not entirely suitable for mentioning on a family-friendly site like this. Company - obviously. Wandering around the city, never needing to hurry and enjoying the sights and the atmosphere. The beer - we discovered a lot of new beers that are just too good to be real (LaTrappe Quad, for example). Pancakes. The Verzetsmuseum.

We visited both the game shops as we bimbled around and found ourselves near them. Schaak en Go Winkel is clearly the better of the two. It was interesting to see one set of shelves devoted to the top 50 games on BGG! I bought Hive: The Ladybug there, as it still seems not to have arrived in the UK.

We had the first beer at Cafe Hoppe, in face (an Amstel, for tradition's sake!). When I got there I remembered having gone in there before, but I had forgotten the name. Small world!

And we're already thinking about going back to 'Dam later this year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to see you had a good time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic" - Pai Mei
mbmbmbmbmb

UH OH! Wish I had seen this before your trip. Never drink the local beer....they make it with the canal water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LSMB wrote:

UH OH! Wish I had seen this before your trip. Never drink the local beer....they make it with the canal water.
No, no, that's American beer you're thinking of!
(I was going to post a picture of the beer I found in America on my last visits that I actually quite liked, but I'm not sure of the name. It was called something like "Thunderdog", and I think the brewery was Louisiana-based.)

Here's part of what came back with us and nearly made our luggage overweight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Verzijden
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that looks like a tasty selection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is a local told me that in Amsterdam gulp

Personally, I drank whatever they had and it just made me stronger.

EDIT: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Doctor
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Learning and explaining games
badge
Yeah, it's my car. Got a better suggestion?
mbmbmbmbmb
LSMB wrote:
All I can say is a local told me that in Amsterdam :gulp:
And we'll stick with that story till you guys stop coming over to drink our beer! Sta away! ;)

:p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dok33 wrote:
LSMB wrote:
All I can say is a local told me that in Amsterdam gulp
And we'll stick with that story till you guys stop coming over to drink our beer! Sta away!

Hey, I need to stop by Utrecht again too. I was there, but only stayed a day....and as for Amsterdam, well, you'll need more than a story about canal-water-beer to keep folks away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls