David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Modern Naval Battles: Global Warfare fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Warfighter WWII fan
Modern Naval Battles: Global Warfare is a card based resource management style game published by Dan Verssen Games (http://www.dvg.com ).

Game Components:
(also see: mnbboxback.jpg)
110 full colour action cards (missile combat, gun combat, torpedo combat, Air Support, Bomber Strike, Battle plan, Screening ship, Intel, Repair, Near Miss & superior tactics) - action cards are used for attack and/or defence managing your fleet composition to utilse your action cards best is very important to victory.
110 full colour ship cards (Argentina 9, China 14, France 13, Japan 12, Norway 7, Taiwan 11, United Kingdom 14, United States 15, Soviet Union 14 & non-combatant 1)
2 6 sided dice (you don't need more than 2, additional 6 sided dice are useful aid in tracking multiple attacks/defenses)
Full Colour Rules Booklet
(see: mnbrules.pdf for the rules - 8 pages of core rules with plenty of clear explanations and examples)

Game Scale: Individual Ships
Players: 2 to 6 (more than 2 better)
Time to Play: 1 Hour (to 2 hours)
Complexity: Low to Moderate (high replay potential, skill rewarded)Example of play: see mnb-gwscenarios.pdf

Comments:
Game components: Very nice high resolution picture images on cleanly cut card. The action and ship cards fit easily into standard card plastic sleeves (not included) to provide greater protection if required.
Rules clarity: Excellent, only a very few errata/questions not addressed in the Rules As Written (RAW). Three optional rules, 4 scenarios included.
Games Mechanism: Resource management - both of fleet selection, deployment/re-deployment and action cards - is eloquent and rewarding. The uncertainties involved are challenging yet the game is not chance driven, as good asset management usually can minimise bad luck and maximise good luck.
Replay value: Very high - each game progresses differently.

Disadvantages:
* The fleets are not balanced, this can lead to fundamentally unbalanced games were a player is more likely to win due to their fleet selection than to their skill/luck. (see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/658361/mnb-observations-...)
The more players playing the less this is an issue as it is in the overall interest of the weaker fleet players to gang up on the strongest and knock them down/out early.
(see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/666369/balancing-fleets-...)
This difference in fleets can be used to balance players skill. e.g. when introducing this game to others it may be appropriate to give the newer players the better fleets.
* Limited online community, compared to some other naval games (e.g. Wizards - War at Sea), there is at present as far as I can disern very little "buzz" abot MNB:GW - which is a shame as this is a very nice game that I believe deserves better support. It may be that the soon to be released expansion will inspire online support/discussion of this game and further expansions.

Possibilities
* Using miniatures - currently we are often using 1:700 scale ships, 1:350 scale aircraft and 1:144 scale missiles with the RAW.
(see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/664551/whaling-war-us-vs...)
* Collectable Card Game market - MNB:GW could easily be marketted as a CCG rather than as a boxed game. Of course this might not fit DVG's present market strategy but I believe it would be worth considering.
*Collectable Miniature Game market - as mentioned previously the Wizards naval game War at Sea is proving to be popular and profitable. It is likely that there is a more limitted market for modern naval gaming - but possibly worth investigating.

Overall:
I really like this game and heartily recommend it.
9 out of 10

edit: My apologies - I haven't been able to correctly post the links to DVG website - please go to the DVG website (www.dvg.com) and select the appropriate files from the menue on the left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is there any real combat, per se, or is the game just about resource management with faux combat trappings to fit the theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Military History buffMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: CaptainMicrobadge: Famous WWII units - 99th Infantry Division "Battle Babies/Checkerboard Division" (US)
I'm not sure I would have termed this a 'resource management' game, though I suppose if you consider your ships and planes 'resources', and you manage them via how you use their weapon systems to destroy enemy ships and planes, via the action cards you hold in your hand, while also defending against enemy attacks, then, yeah, I suppose it's resource management, as is any wargame where the player has units and manages how he employs them. As someone who owns and has played the game a number of times (and quite enjoys it), and as a wargamer, I would tell you that indeed there is combat, as each fleet commander targets enemy assets in an attempt to destroy them, while fending off enemy attacks. Given that modern naval combat is fought beyond line of sight, using sophisticated sensors and long range aircraft and missile systems, the mechanics used in this game are very appropriate to model the subject matter. As a fleet commander, the player can attempt to launch missile, gun, or torpedo attacks against his counterpart. Yes, the action cards can limit what each player may attempt in a given turn, but given the multi-purpose nature of the cards and the fact that each hand is replenished after every player turn, it's pretty rare that a player finds himself unable to do anything in a particular turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Modern Naval Battles: Global Warfare fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Warfighter WWII fan
There is real combat, per se - where a player makes critical decisions in their turn that determines their attacks, which ships to have, which to re-inforce with, how to deploy those ships, which attacks to make (limitted by cards in hand and ship inherent abilities {e.g. ASW vs SSM vs Gun}) against which enemies ships/submarines, which cards to use/hold/discard - and the likelhood of the enemy to stop your attacks - do you fight a battle of attrition at tthe risk of your ships or hold back your more valuable ships and cards for a turn of overwhelming attacks. Those decisions also effect how vunerable your fleet is in the ememy(ies) turns.
I regard this game as more of a resource management game than a typical wargame - in MNB:GW my actions are limitted - in a very good way - the game mechanism captures the challenge of command and control and the fog of war very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for the breakdown, fellas. This sounds like a really cool game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
It is very cool - and easy to introduce new players to - speaking of which - if in Sydney see the Unlimited Hobbies Gaming Group forum post - I'll be there from 6pm friday any any/all are welcome to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Konuch
msg tools
Thanks David for your review of this game. Your review convinced me to buy this game. My two boys and I are looking forward to battling on the high seas soon.

Best regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
Three player games can be a lot of fun!

At the high end of the fleets capabilities IMO the best in the base set are:
US, Russia then China
These 3 fleets have ships that can use all of the card capabilities and are a great way of learning at the deep end...

Please post how the games go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
G'day all,

I've just uploaded all the ship stats from the basic game, expansion 1 and the campaign expansion2 at:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76206/modern-naval-bat...

Included is some stats on the fleet

If you find any error in this - please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls