Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken McElhaney
United States
Tulsa
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
This game, from the Blue & Gray quad, was one I cut my teeth on (so to speak) growing up.

From Moves #54 (If'n I remember the mag number correctly) a review of the game offers this alternative to the movement restrictions imposed by the game rules. Instead of moving 15 counters on turn one and then only 10 for each turn on;

A player can move units from any three Union Corps on each turn.

This gives the Union forces just a bit more to move each turn (usually, it'll be 12 or 13 counters per turn under this rule), but more importantly the corps will function as corps did.

Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob James
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good for gaming ease, but McClellan threw some forces in piece meal, some sat, some moved only One division at a time or two of three....at Antietam at least.

Just was at battlefield from this date and I read several books on it...get John Priests he is a guide there and his book is great as well as the South Mt. One and 2nd day at Gettysburg books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken McElhaney
United States
Tulsa
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
BOB JAMES wrote:
Sounds good for gaming ease, but McClellan threw some forces in piece meal, some sat, some moved only One division at a time or two of three....at Antietam at least.

Just was at battlefield from this date and I read several books on it...get John Priests he is a guide there and his book is great as well as the South Mt. One and 2nd day at Gettysburg books.

Are you suggesting that when McClellan gave his orders, it was to individual divisions and not the corps commanders?

But a more important point is that the current rule allows you to move the divisions that are best suited to attack the Confederates, something that simply did not happen at all.

Individual divisions moved around in an arbitrary fashion for a number of reasons, but not because McClellan had a God-like view of the battlefield and carefully selected which specific divisions worked best for his needs.

Admittedly, trying to add "realism" to a game system that was not designed with that in mind is a pretty fruitless effort. But having played it several times both with and without the variant in place, I feel pretty strongly that the "Three Corps" rule is not only better for gaming purposes, but it is a better representation of how McClellan gave orders to his forces even if they didn't respond in the manner he wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Smith
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game each Corps has from 6 to 10 units. That means that, if allowed to move 3 corps in a turn, the Union player could move up to 28 units in a turn, depending on which corps he selected. This would be disastrous for the Confederate.
Are you sure the variant allowed 3 Corps? 2 Corps on turn 1 and 1 Corps each other turn would make a lot more sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.