Kevin Brazee
United States
New Franken
Wisconsin (WI)
flag msg tools
Well, rave on Its a crazy feeling and I know its got me reeling
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be in Boston next week for work and staying the weekend for pleasure. I will be in a hotel right next to the Boston Commons and I was wondering where the game stores in Boston are and if anyone could give me any recommendations. I like mostly heavy Euro games or light war games. Look at my want list if you need to know more details about what I am looking before recommending a store. I would hope to walk to the store but am willing to ride a short distance (10-20 minutes) to another part of the city.

Thanks for any advice you could give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you head down Boylston St., you'll find "The Compleat Strategist" at 201 Mass Avenue.

If you feel like detouring into Cambridge, you can find the first store in the country to carry Settlers of Catan; take the red line to Harvard Station and walk on Mass Ave. back towards Boston:

The Games People Play
1100 Mass. Ave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
While the Compleat Strategist is more convenient to where you are, I would suggest visiting The Games People Play, as they have a better selection (and more rarities), and are the place where it all began in the USA...

Plus I spent countless hours and dollars there during my college years.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce V
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
I'm surprised I have GG to throw around on frivolous stuff like this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never been to TGPP, but here's their website (not that it's much of a website).

http://www.thesourceofcourse.com/tgpp/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the places mentioned are great. Danger Planet in waltham has a nice collection and friendly staff. But there is no easy T system to get there. You have to Bus it. BUT you can't BEAT Moody street in all of boston for a dinning experience. There are all kinds of restraunts lining that 1/2 mile of street. Danger planet is on Spruce street right off of Moody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless your time is really short, you don't have to chose between The Compleat Strategist and Games People Play -- visit both!
Both are on Massachusetts Avenue, although one is in Cambridge and the other is Boston. This is less significant than it appears, because the distance is not great. There's an MBTA bus that runs up Mass Ave going by both stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right...you can hop on the number 1 bus heading toward Harvard at Compleat Strategist, and its about a ten-minute ride to TGPP. You'd want to get off at the Trowbridge St. stop, which is directly across the street from the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tuttle
United States
Fitchburg
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yep. Danger Planet on Moody St in Waltham is the place I go to as well. They are well stocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
BuddyHolly wrote:
I will be in a hotel right next to the Boston Commons and I was wondering where the game stores in Boston are and if anyone could give me any recommendations. I like mostly heavy Euro games or light war games.

A short ride on the T to Davis Square you'll find Your Move Games which stocks a moderate number of Euro games, though their primary focus is on CCGs and miniatures.

I'll echo the recommendation of Danger Planet. It's a very nice store with a very good selection and a helpful staff.

Games People Play in Cambridge, while it has had an exceptional selection at points in the past, has some problems. Their prices are far too high, even for retail and they are often extremely unfriendly toward their customers. I know some people have had no problems with them, but I know many people who have had issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls