Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any gamers from Ontario know of any good boardgame store in Ottawa? Going over there at the end of August and kinda want to bring back a nice boardgame as a souvenir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Fandom II at 162 Laurier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Read this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/644783/good-game-stores-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading that thread, I'm going to have to go to the Comic Book Shoppe on Merivale now...

The Gatineau side has just had 2 of its FLGS close during the last few months, so it's pretty barren with good games over here (other than the small selection at the Multizone stores and the Renaud-Bray/Archambault fare, which albeit better than Chapters, it's similar).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Turbo Pascal wrote:
After reading that thread, I'm going to have to go to the Comic Book Shoppe on Merivale now...
To be clear: it's on Clyde.

Definitely worth visiting though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ottawa has one of the most vibrant game store communities that I have seen in Canada.

Fandom II has fantastic selection and knowledgeable people but challenging parking in the downtown.

Wizards Tower offers a reasonable selection with friendly staff with 3 locations in Kanata (west end), University of Ottawa area (downtown) and Barrhaven (south end).

I also know of The Comic Book Shoppe on Mervale near Baseline that offers huge selection, probably the biggest in Ottawa but you are probably looking at a "help yourself" situation with staff that may not necessarily know a lot about games.

My favourite place to shop is the little known Toys on Fire in Barrhaven. Not because of prices, not because of selection but because they have a fantastic and enthusiastic staff that take a genuine interest in you as a customer. Their selection is middle of the road but their atmosphere more than makes up for it to me.

I don't know of any stores in East Ottawa because I live so far west that I believe East Ottawa and Orleans to be Narnia. I don't think they exist.

I believe that all of the stores I listed above are worth visiting and feel that they all have positive merits. I have nothing bad to say about any of them. After all.....I am Canadian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I moved to the outaouais 2 years ago, from Montreal (I so miss Le Valet d'Coeur - that will remain the standard for me in terms of what an FLGS should strive for).

Still discovering what the area has to offer so that thread was super helpful - lots of new places to check out.

Fandom II was the one I knew before even moving here - I shopped there during visits when I was a teenager - that place was around back in the 80s (but at a different location if I recall).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Turbo Pascal wrote:
To be clear: it's on Clyde.

Definitely worth visiting though.
Thanks for the clarification: I actually place it now - I've driven by there several times when we take a trek to Farmboy's. Never stopped because, you know, it says "comic book" instead of "games".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Shabatowski wrote:
Ottawa has one of the most vibrant game store communities that I have seen in Canada.

Fandom II has fantastic selection and knowledgeable people but challenging parking in the downtown.

Wizards Tower offers a reasonable selection with friendly staff with 3 locations in Kanata (west end), University of Ottawa area (downtown) and Barrhaven (south end).

I also know of The Comic Book Shoppe on Mervale near Baseline that offers huge selection, probably the biggest in Ottawa but you are probably looking at a "help yourself" situation with staff that may not necessarily know a lot about games.

My favourite place to shop is the little known Toys on Fire in Barrhaven. Not because of prices, not because of selection but because they have a fantastic and enthusiastic staff that take a genuine interest in you as a customer. Their selection is middle of the road but their atmosphere more than makes up for it to me.

I don't know of any stores in East Ottawa because I live so far west that I believe East Ottawa and Orleans to be Narnia. I don't think they exist.

I believe that all of the stores I listed above are worth visiting and feel that they all have positive merits. I have nothing bad to say about any of them. After all.....I am Canadian.
On the comment of most vibrant city for game store/communiuty i couldn't agree more, that is 1 of the many things i miss about being in Ottawa! Long live Vancouver though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thank you all for your help.

Thumb up